The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Drug testing for the dole

Drug testing for the dole

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
With local government elections next week in NSW. I attended a candidates forum last night at the local community center. A Liberal candidate has the solution to unemployment. "THEY (the unemployed) SHOULD BE PUT TO WORK GOING AROUND THE LOCAL AREA CLEANING OUR WHEELIE BINS." The thing is the bloke was serious about it, a young person looking for a career can put it on their CV. WHEELIE BIN CLEANER. I asked what about 'them' being employed at picking up doggie do do's in the local park. I think he is taking that one on board.
What planet is this Liberal from?
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 31 August 2012 8:01:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Drug testing and treating welfare recipients like children that cannot make 'proper' decisions- do it for the kids.
Posted by Bugsy, Friday, 31 August 2012 8:01:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For those who comply with the proper usage of Centrelink benefits, should be considered for higher payments and those that don't, stay on the basic support level. I think this will show to all customers, that a larger form of commitment shall be rewarded/personal additional income support contracts for approved customers.

The difference of more money or less will be entirely up to the individual.... call it, "THE DO IT RIGHT INCENTIVE SCHEME". and I believe others will follow.

Centrelink customer service personal know who walks through the doors and if the customer wishes to comply with the Drug and Alcohol testing while undergoing all benefit requirment...Finding/activly looking for work, proof of all income transactions, ect should be rewarded a higher payment, hence equally benefiting those that are parents with school and non schooling children.

40% of Australian Centrelink people are below the basic wage/the bread line and with the costs of living, only a small % are spoiling it for all of the greater caring good.

Overall, it gives the Government heads up of whats really going on.

Just a thought.

Planet3
Posted by PLANET3, Friday, 31 August 2012 12:39:00 PM
Planet 3 I like that idea. Earlier this year I found casual employment working afternoon shift on a production line but unfortunately after 5 weeks the entire afternoon shift was made redundant.

Whilst working there each fortnight I submitted my Centre Link employment claim form declaring my earnings and rightly was not paid any welfare benefits while I earned an income.

Honesty is always the best policy especially when claiming benefits.
Posted by gypsy, Friday, 31 August 2012 1:45:58 PM
Hi Gypsy.

"Honesty is always the best policy especially when claiming benefits"...yes your quite right and this I believe should be rewarded. When centrelink customers are out in the wider community discussing "how much are you getting" strait way the question will be "how did you get it" however, not all will be happy about doing a urine test once a fortnight, but if one wants the extra income support, I believe the insights/incentives will speak for themselves.

I cant see any negatives, other than the costs of testing, but maybe other members can see more than I can.

Thanks and good luck with all that you do.

Planet3
Posted by PLANET3, Friday, 31 August 2012 5:05:37 PM
PLANET3, I'm not opposed to the idea either.
I have always maintained its better to reward good behavior, than to punish bad.

Seriously, there are some real questions that need to be answered by our government.

They sit there on their high horse, spruking, 'how clever are we', full employment, low inflation, bla, bla, bla, yet, as gypsy has rightly pointed out, there are very few jobs out there.

Honestly, how can this be, as low unemployment usually means employees can pick and choose between jobs, as there are more jobs on offer than workers.

Someone is pulling the wool over our eyes if you ask me.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 31 August 2012 6:45:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy