The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Sick of Labor, sick of Liberals,sick of Greens

Sick of Labor, sick of Liberals,sick of Greens

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
<< What has what Labor thinks got to do with it ? >>

Indi, it is enormously important.

Just imagine if they came out and espoused a Carr/Thomson strategy. That would spur an enormous change in the Australian political landscape.

<< …their problem is that they can't do anything right anymore no matter what. >>

So perhaps they need to realise the basic reason for this – that their political philosophy centred on record-high immigration is undermining their ability to implement just about any meaningful improvements and is making them look like a mob of woolly-headed drongos!

<< You can not expect anything of value emanating from a bunch of weekend lawyers & half-baked academics. they have no substance, no foresight, no sense, no care, no clue & some people want them to continue >>

So they should get it through their thick woolly heads that they’ve got two excellent tuned-in MPs who can do all the thinking for them and guide them from the road to ruin to the road to glory!!

Well, they should at least realise that it’s worth a try, because they are going down, big time, if they just persist with their current hopeless strategy!
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 12 July 2012 11:25:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry Ludwig, but spring will come.
Labor will get a leader ,in my view next month.
It has only one problem, not its policy's.
It leader and her few blind mice.
My garden and my party will bloom in spring.
Both full of promise for the year ahead.
Gillards round up will be put in the shed.
Spring brings weeds, I think Abbott weed will not be about much longer.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 12 July 2012 3:31:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Read all the posts here with interest.
Robert Gobleibson commenting on Daryl Leas demise said that they
failed because they thought the boom times would continue.

Politicians are like that in that they think growth will be back.
The parties need to think about their youngest new members and let
them roam around the economic scene looking at what is really happening.
Cut them loose from the party dogma and realise how much different it
will be in a different energy regime and as Globalisation dies.
And die it will, as everything becomes local, and a different type of
politician will be needed by the time they come to the fore in their
parties.
Sustainability will be the "word" but different parties will have
different ideas on how to achieve it.
Certainly small time capitalism will be rampant but how they handle
the larger more capital intense works will be where the difference in
opinion will surface.

Even defense will be of little interest once the resource wars are
settled and no one can devote resources to warfare.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 12 July 2012 3:42:12 PM
Bazz we already know what a post globalist, post imperial world looks like, we've seen it many times in the last 10,000 or so years.
Think of any big Asian city of today and you have a look the future of our urban populations, it's already here, the neon and glass CBD, the "good" suburbs for the elite and managerial castes and then the sprawl where everyone else ekes out a living.
Look at any suburban shopping strip these days and the economic transformation to a post industrial society is well under way, High St Preston or "Little India" in Dandenong illustrate what a society that produces nothing and imports everything save for a few vegetables is going to look like. It's as the futurists predicted, we're moving toward an urban lifestyle something like William Burroughs' Interzone or William Gibson's BAMA Sprawl....which to be honest, I kinda dig.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Thursday, 12 July 2012 4:35:33 PM
Sonofgloin the DLP seems to have some useful policies. Ludwig althougth you don't seem to know quite what form a new government should take I agree wholeheartedly that we need a new approach so here's a couple of starters.
If I were to seek a mandate from the people, changes to the constitution are the first issues I would raise. I would push to include a legally binding bill of rights and a system of public referendum whereby a petition supported by 20% of the population in any government jurisdiction, federal, state or local would automatically force the particular issue to go to public referendum.

This would establish two very important democratic principles, one it would force government to seriously address the wishes of the people and secondly, if issues are determined by public referendum the government is legally bound to obey the majority and the people would be in support.
Another plus to this system is that lobbying and corruption might become dying arts.

The third choice relating to the constitution is whether to maintain the archaic loyalty to the Queen and commonwealth and indeed whether to maintain the Governor Generals power to sack a duly elected government in this country ie. as in the case of Gough Whitlam.

I would immediately re-establish a system of tariffs designed to protect and foster employment and manufacturing within the country to reduce our reliance on imported goods. This move would reduce our trade deficit and almost certainly devalue the dollar.

These issues represent only a fraction of the possible agenda but with a soundly constituted system of referenda in place I doubt that there is a single issue that would not be better decided by going to the people and seeking their mandate.
Den71
Posted by DEN71, Thursday, 12 July 2012 8:30:39 PM
DEN71,
I have doubts about tariffs.
If we apply tariffs to our imports won't our trading partners do the same to our exports (their imports), in retaliation, thus creating a zero sum game.
Second, removal of tariffs some thirty plus years ago had the effect of driving inefficiencies out of many production processes.
What we usually see in a tariff environment is high prices because local producers, protected by tariffs barriers tend to become inefficient and raise prices to accommodate the increased production costs.
I think there is something to be said for competition and tariffs do reduce competition.
One can argue that there is still local competition but in many industries our economy isn't large enough to handle enough local competitors to sufficiently stimulate competition to overcome this negative aspect of tariffs.
Anthony
http://www.osbervationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Thursday, 12 July 2012 9:31:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy