The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What happens to SMH if Gina sells her shares.

What happens to SMH if Gina sells her shares.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Interesting scenario?

There is a lot of anguish put out by the left about what Gina's aims are for SMH, but what are the consequences if she sells her shares.

SMH shares are not exactly gold plated and frankly I would not be buying them now anyway.

Gina could well afford to sell them all and walk away. Sure she could find other investments.
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 26 June 2012 9:28:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo at last! I return to *the left*
Thoughts such as yours push me.
To think any one who wants a fair and balanced media is left is weird stuff.
To even while my party LACKS THE GUTS TO REMOVE GILLARD! we are all left?
We will find our brains, far too many left them and their hearts in the bin outside the door on entering Parliament.
Then we will turn united on the rich and powerful trying to buy media control to have only their views published.
This morning *Australian Print media has the blood of the recent and next boat people tragedy on it hands*
As it refuses to, just tell the truth Abbott would vote against his own policy rather than not be able to hold Labor accountable for his actions.
Surely power and privilege can find a better puppet?
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 26 June 2012 11:55:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,
I was not thinking of the politics.

I was wondering what happens to SMH and the share price if Gina decides it is too much of a hassle and tells her broker to get rid of the shares. A loss here would not leave her broke. If she thinks the current board is not playing fair she could take her bat and go home.

She is a woman after all, and that species have been known to change their mind sometimes.
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 26 June 2012 2:24:19 PM
Gina too may think the price is too high.Best to buy in on a number of smaller volumes.She wants editorial control so it may not happen.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 26 June 2012 6:07:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<She wants editorial control>>

She certainly wants the other share-holders to believe so, but she doesn't strike me as someone who likes to write what nobody reads, sing when nobody listens and preach to a sleeping congregation.

More likely, she will scare away the other share-holders who will sell her the rest of the shares for nothing, then she will sell the lot for more. It's pure business (or a game of poker if you like)!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 26 June 2012 6:29:44 PM
Remember that Gina owns only 19% of Fairfax.
The shares did not rise when she bought, so her stake did not increase the inherant share value as perceived by the market.
True, when she threatened to sell, the price did fall a few cents, probably because investors feared a sudden dumping of a large parcel onto the market.
My guess is that if she sells, the Fairfax price will fall a little and buyers would put a floor under the share price at somewhere in the low 50cents range.
I would be a buyer at around 50 cents+ as at that price the downside would look pretty minimal and it is now clear that Fairfax management are at last ready to do the hard transformational yards.
I think a sell by Rinehart would be good for Fairfax in the medium term.
And a win for democracy immediately.
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Wednesday, 27 June 2012 8:52:15 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy