The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Gay Marriage The Debate Goes On.

Gay Marriage The Debate Goes On.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All
Dear Shadow Minister,

Again with the double-standard old chap.

All you have to do is Google the "broken promises
of Tony Abbott" to find Mr Abbott's record on this issue.
But then of course there's always the excuse of "changing
circumstances" that you guys are so willing to put forward
when it comes to your side of politics - and to continue
to blame the other side for doing the same. Nothing new
there.

The following link from Laurie Oakes is worth reading:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opinion/oakes-tony-abbott-enters-promise-land/story-e6freakc-1226167165749
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 20 June 2012 11:49:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
lexi,

From the link you provided:

"Unfortunately for Ms Gillard, though, her disgraceful post-election about-face on carbon tax still is very fresh in voters' minds. - She and her ministers seemed to be rubbing their noses in it with their hugs, kisses and high-fives after the legislation was passed by the Lower House, guaranteeing it will become law."

And

"Once again Ms Gillard brought trouble on herself through astonishingly poor political judgment."

Perhaps you can show me a comparable promise that Abbott made, and broke entirely of his own accord (such as Juliar's no carbon tax promise)
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 20 June 2012 12:09:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear SM,

Again you cite only the selective bits (of
what Laurie Oakes wrote). And as for giving you
examples of Mr Abbott's broken promises - Laurie
has already done that but if you need more Sir,
you can as I told you in my previous post -
Google, "Tony Abbott's broken promises."
There's plenty of websites to choose from.
They're there on record.
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 20 June 2012 1:51:33 PM
david f,
Please give us the meaning of the word "marriage" and its definition.
Posted by Josephus, Wednesday, 20 June 2012 2:36:28 PM
Lexi,

I deliberately cherry picked the link just as you always do.

The point I raised was that this gay marriage back flip by Juliar is yet another broken promise. Abbott is perfectly justified in sticking to the promise he made to the electorate.

You try to justify this with the only example of a broken promise by Abbott to the electorate is from 2004 when he was overruled. (I could not find any others.) I take this to mean that you find Gillard's constant breaking of promises acceptable?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 20 June 2012 3:36:18 PM
Dear Josephus,

Marriage is a civil, religious or social contractual arrangement which varies according to the social circumstances of the society in which it occurs.

Anthropologists recognise eight different forms of marriage. In one form the father's chief function is to impregnate the mother, but the actual head of the family and authority figure for the children is the mother's brother. In the Jewish Bible or Old Testament there is polygyny where a man has more than one wife. (eg Jacob was married to Leah and Rachel.) In earlier Tibet polyandry or one woman having more than one husband was recognised. In some Muslim countries a man may have up to four wives. Among some American Indian tribes there are berdaches. A berdache is a man who assumes a woman's role and marries another man.

The Catholic Church makes Jesus into a polygynist as all nuns are regarded as brides of Christ. However, that is an example of marriage with an imaginary husband and without sexual union.

The forms of civil marriage are determined by civil law. If civil law defines marriage to include people of the same sex then that is marriage.

The form of marriage varies from time to time, place to place and venue to venue.

Therefore marriage is defined as a contractual union of two or more people.
Posted by david f, Wednesday, 20 June 2012 3:55:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy