The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Radical method to stop the refugee boats

Radical method to stop the refugee boats

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Paul 1305,
There is a system in place.
It is set at a reasonable level.
There is a limit to what Australia can and should do.

Those that arrive without documents and on the boats have lost what
rights they may ever had by their actions.
They have made such a mess of their own countries that they think they
can just force themselves into other countries.

Before you do, don't just blame the Americans, it is not as simple as that.
Let them put their effort into fixing their own countries.

I am fed up with the bleating that goes on about this subject.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 18 June 2012 9:00:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul 1405,

You have misrepresented the issues (or maybe you simply do not understand them!)

Problem No. 1
The Refugee Convention is increasingly being abused as a pretext/excuse to (in your words) “ reach a prosperous place”.
This was never the purpose of the Refugee Convention . And the airy-fairy “37 point …policy” you allude to offers no solution
[ it/they are akin to solving heroine addiction by giving the addict easier and easier access to heroine].
Even if in some Pollyanna fantasy we were able to stop all wars tomorrow and have democratic regimes in all countries, we would still see people drawn from less prosperous to more prosperous locations i.e. still illegal immigration.
(though, I will concede that such might NOT be the case if Bob Brown had his wish and implemented world govt and a redistributed of wealth –if that occurred we would likely all languish is similar despair…no one would want to do anything … nor go anywhere)

Problem No. 2
Events are showing that our screening processes are unable to determine who is a “genuine refugee”.
( the latest Four Corner revelations are not new , and they are not the exception –they are just the tip of the iceberg!)

Problem No. 3
We have groups – most notably the Green – who behind the smoke screen of conservation and social justice ( which has some merit , and which are appealing to many) are seeking to slip in harebrained polices that will see immigration controls water down further –including the most harebrained of all schemes-- opening the doors to anyone affected by a storm or high tide ie “climate refugees”.
Posted by SPQR, Monday, 18 June 2012 9:50:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul1405, you say I misrepresent Greens policy. How so? Do you really think some wafty statement about getting at the root cause of the refugee problem in your 37 point list has a bat's chance in hell of flying, that holding your current line until that great day arrives passes as sensible policy?

Greens are dreamers. The world needs dreamers, but not to run countries. Please stop screwing up ours with your stymieing of the majority will.
Posted by Luciferase, Monday, 18 June 2012 10:25:30 AM
Luciferase, Paul1405, you say I (Luciferase) misrepresent Greens policy. How so?

What I said was; "Luciferase, You distort the Greens policy on refugees with the simplistic line,
"no offshore processing and no limits on the number coming in just a welcome mat to anybody."
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 18 June 2012 11:16:23 AM
Where is the distortion, Paul1405? I'm just following your policy through to its inescapable conclusion.

Australia's resources (and I don't mean simply physical) are finite but Greens' policy has no sensible horizon nor balance in its treatment of refugees from different origins, only some view that one day the world will be a better place and there will be no refugees.

I'd like to retract what I said in my previous post about stymeing the majoriy will. I forget that that is Greens policy and they are only being true to themselves. What I should have said was that Greens should give over to the greater public will on this issue for their own survival to maintain a hand in future public policy, but you have made it clear you want to be judged by the electorate on your current position.

Babes in the woods, but I'm sure Bob Brown is proud of his lemmings.
Posted by Luciferase, Monday, 18 June 2012 11:51:05 AM
Paul1405 writes, "Luciferase, You distort the Greens policy on refugees with the simplistic line,
"no offshore processing and no limits on the number coming in just a welcome mat to anybody""

If my statement is a distortion, would you please expand, explaining how dangerous boat journeys will be discouraged, or even jetloads of asylum-seekers for that matter, and how Greens policy will prevent the world's rufugees from beating paths to our door to blend into the population with a story and no documentation?

There was a trickle of boats, now a stream, and the pressure is rising. Last month enough arrived to fill the newly built ($130 million) facility in Northam, Western Australia. How much can resourcing can be put towards processing the growing influx? Meanwhile, refugee camps around the world are growing, so the problem is not going away in our lifetimes, or ever IMO.

I could go on, but please Paul1405, how is my statement a distortion? Why do Greens follow eachother as lambs to the electoral slaughter? Can't any of you stand up and question where all this is going, or is free speech a problem within Greens?
Posted by Luciferase, Tuesday, 19 June 2012 12:31:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy