The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A Christian Lamb in a Den of Islamic Lions.

A Christian Lamb in a Den of Islamic Lions.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
"ISLAMOPHOBIA" read the lower half of the Herald Sun front page yesterday. It was in reference to a statement made by Yvonne Ridley, a convert to Islam who is a visiting speaker at the Islamic conference in Melbourne Uni this weekend.

She claims Australia is one of the most 'Islamophobic' countries in the world.

Well... who can resist such a challenge ? Not me. I went along last night, quite prepared to protest (had sign folded up in my back pocket) but also prepared to read the situation as I found it, and take whatever action seemed appropriate. Even if I protested, my goal was to enter into discussion, so if I could fulfill that goal without ruffling too many feathers.. all well and good.

After rambling through the rabbit warren of Melb Uni, and finding Copland Theatre, I noticed a small gathering of Muslims, and heard some speaker though the PA.

Many of the men were sporting Wahabist style beards, and while a few looked a bit aggressive, mostly it was quite calm. I introduced myself to a man who originated from Somalia, educated in UK, and we had a fruitful discussion as Christian to Muslim. He offered to introduce me to Yvonne Ridley, but I declined as I think her ears would be closed to what I had to say.

He wondered why Aussies were 'anti Muslim' and I explained that its more anti 'some' segments of the Muslim community and referred to Cronulla. He also could not understand why Christians are happy to obey all from Noah to Jesus, but not Mohammad, and I shared John 14:6 with him. We parted amicably.

Getting out of Melbourne Uni is like getting out of Islam, a near death sentence. Finally I asked a passer by who had been the conference. He was heading to his car and guided me. Turned out he was from Cameroons, but recently from NZ, and shared many similiar outlooks to myself, but also spoke MALAY, whereupon we had a great natter.
All in all, quite an adventure.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Sunday, 8 April 2007 9:04:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I do not gather my opinions via the Medea, in fact that path has become very unreliable.
Having spent some important parts of my life in western Sydney I have seen much to concern me .
It can not be ignored the lies are as thick as the pavement in that part of Australia.
Our culture makes fun of and belittles those who lie, others expect it as part of life.
It is not Australians do not like Muslims, far too often it is the reverse pushed into the children from birth.
Parents who decry racism are nothing less than bigoted racists.
Two young Muslims, you do not need me to tell you what race spat on police who pulled them up 80klms over the speed limit and said they only pulled s up because we are @#$% Muslims, right here right in front of me, lies?
Those from this community who want this to work must understand racism is always wrong, even when from a minority.
And lies? well once a mans word was indeed his bond however not now.
Lies used so freely are a measure of lack of honor.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 9 April 2007 7:05:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boaz, the description of your "adventure" is fascinating, but criminally short on detail.

>>I went along last night, quite prepared to protest...<<

But it appears that you didn't. Can we assume, then, that there was nothing in the meeting to protest about?

>>I noticed a small gathering of Muslims, and heard some speaker though the PA.<<

We are all agog here. How many Muslims? How could you tell they were all Muslims? What did the speaker say? Was it inflammatory? Was it subversive?

Too little information allows us to make our own assumptions.

>>He offered to introduce me to Yvonne Ridley, but I declined as I think her ears would be closed to what I had to say<<

How utterly disappointing. What happened to Boaz, seeker of truth?

Weren't you primarily there to listen? The speaker had pre-announced her position, you state that you cannot "resist such a challenge", but when you get there you can't be bothered to find out what is her evidence?

Shame on you. You have the profound cheek to decline to talk with her on the basis that she might not listen to what you had to say, but you don't have the courtesy to take the time to listen to what she has to say.

What does that say about your level of interest in anything that does not fit into your narrow view of the world.

Seeker after truth? Not a chance. I am far more inclined to the image of Boaz, seeker and exploiter of dissonance.

On this occasion, you simply didn't find any.

You must have been terribly disappointed.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 9 April 2007 9:13:16 AM
Pericles, you are right, I was very short on detail mate.

I declined to meet Ms Ridley for a number of reasons, none of which included any resistance to truth and soforth. She is a speaker and a gathering of like minded people, and I really didn't want to upset her by having a combative interchange of views. Her topic was 'Islamophobia' but I arrived too late to hear it in person, so anything I reacted to would have been from the media only.

Then, due to the engaging conversation with the Somali man, I felt the greater benefit was to be found in discussing with him. He was evangelised for Christ and I was called to consider ulitmate truth by him.

My 'protest' goal, was in any case a starting point for meaningful discussion, given that I already had that, what is there to protest publically about ? I was not really in 'protest' mode that night, much more congenial and events unfolded to confirm this was the wisest course.

You are welcome to monitor events are similar Islamic occasions, or even at Muslim book shops, or a mosque. I don't know if anything is planned, but there is a movement growing now which includes Jews, Christians and Atheists all having the same concerns.
http://www.australianislamistmonitor.org/
I note with interest that Ridley converted to Islam after being kidnapped by the TALIBAN.. the mind truly boggles. I guess blindness to all they stand for is one of the symptoms of her conversion sickness.

On Numbers ? I'm only guessing, probably 100 outside including 30% running merchandise stalls. Inside.. presumably full. How did I know they were muslims ? come come.. hijabs, burkahs and beards for crying out loud.

I anticipate actual protest in the future, but at times and places more of my choosing.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 9 April 2007 11:14:06 AM
The following is an extract from a table on the Pew Global Attitudes Project website:

http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?ReportID=248

UNfavourable attitudes towards:

Country......Christians...Jews.......Muslims

US..............6%..........7%........... 22%
Canada..........9%.........11%............26%
UK..............6%..........6%............14%
France.........15%.........16%............34%
Germany........13%.........21%............47%

Spain..........10%.........20%............37%
Netherlands....15%.........11%............51%
Russia..........3%.........26%............36%
Poland..........5%.........27%............30%
Turkey.........63%.........60%............11%
Pakistan.......58%.........74%.............2%

Indonesia......38%.........76%.............1%
Lebanon.........7%.........99%.............7%
Jordan.........41%........100%.............1%
Morocco........61%.........88%.............3%
China..........47%.........49%............50%

India..........19%.. ......17%............43%

Among Western countries in the sample, the "Anglosphere" countries, US, Canada and UK, had the least proportion of people with negative attitudes towards Muslims. I suspect that Australia fits into the Anglosphere pattern. Ms Ridley's complaints notwithstanding, I doubt we are especially Islamo-phobic.

The Chinese obviously don't much like any of the "Abrahamic" religions.

It is disturbing to see the extent of anti-Christian and anti-Jewish sentiment in our most important neighbour, Indonesia.

It is fair to say that Jews are not liked in the Muslim world.

If Morocco is representative of North Africa then Europe has a problem.

Given the attitudes in Turkey what impact would Turkish membership of the EU have on European Christians and Jews?

Looking at the table as a whole it iseems that a sizeable proportion of people in Western countries hold unfavourable opinions of Muslims. An ever greater proportion of people in Muslim countries have unfavourable opinions of Christians.

To what extent do immigrants bring their home country attitudes to Australia
Posted by Stephany, Monday, 9 April 2007 11:59:05 AM
Steph.. many important questions and facts raised by your posts.
Many thanks. I'd like to follow on with....

THE RIDDLE OF RIDLY'S CONVERSION.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvonne_Ridley

-Married a Palestinian Arab a PLO 'Colonel'.
-Divorced, one child.
-Captured by the Taliban, and treated very well.
-Urged to read the Quran after her release.
-She did so to try to find out "why they treated women so well".

-She converts and suddenly all the western perceptions of Islam and Jihadists are 'inverted' and transformed into the 'good guys'.

CURIOUS POINT. I think we have little to fear from Ms Ridley, who appears to be very naive, bordering on irrational, and definitely a strange individual.
How much brain power does it take to realize that captors treating an 'enemy' well may have a hidden agenda ? One isolated case of good treatment from a regime which whips women publically for showing their angkles, which follows a code which specifically ALLOWS them to rape her without her permission. Any doubts ? read surah 23:5-6 it is an EXACT fit. They could have legally enslaved her, and turned her into a sex slave.
Yet ...... because they did not causes her to read the very document which permits this, and wonder of wonders, she misses it totally and comes out of this reading experience a "Muslim". Well, I wonder if she actually 'read' and further, 'understood'.

Clearly not. No, there is something more at work in this womans life, and I would not discount the possibility of demonic possession.
There is no rational psychological explaination of her conversion other than it is based on VERY selective information, and a good time with the Taliban, who's brutality, cruelty and fanaticism in most other circumstances is well documented.

Not exactly the basis for a thinking person who knows what is happening in the world to make such a life changing decision.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 9 April 2007 12:52:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy