The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Boot Camps?

Boot Camps?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Df,

While I will freely admit to not being an expert on the subject, I do know personally of 2 teenagers that were out of control, sent to boot camp, and have since vastly improved and become more functional, motivated and happy.

Lack of structure in early life often leads to poor social integration, and while imposing structure is generally resented, it often gives a sense of belonging. Some respond, others don't. There is no magic bullet. However, I don't feel it should be condemned, as it definitely works for some.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 22 May 2012 7:01:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
i found the discipline in mine was largely an exercise of brutality.
david f,
did the brutes make you polish your shoes ? Boot camp was never meant to be a tree hugging exercise. I don't think they're any good either, run mainly by Sylvester Stallone wannabe's & nothing to to with thinking. All they do is turn morons into bigger morons.
No thinking involved, a total waste of time. Not character building at all.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 22 May 2012 7:04:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boot camps are a very US idea and given the size of their prison population it seems the US approach to most matters concerning 'discipline' are not worth two bob.

Bit like their NAPLAN tests Gillard fell for.

The LNP used to run boot camps out near Charleville years ago.

Total disaster.

Of course, we may find that SM went to a boot camp and became 'recovered', which is why he so loves them?

But I suspect SM has just fallen into the tired old trap of supporting anything that smacks of, well, smacking, and intolerance, with none-compliance dealt with through the much favoured 'rougher than usual handling' the Right so adores.

Try reading The Mint SM, to see the idiocy of a boot-camp mentality in the armed forces.

And that was written by a man who didn't seem to mind about a little S&M.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Wednesday, 23 May 2012 5:46:47 PM
Just had a thought davidf.

Is this trial of bootcamps to be run by Scripture Union with the $1m the LNP promised them last week?

To be run by chaplains maybe?
Posted by The Blue Cross, Wednesday, 23 May 2012 5:48:45 PM
David f

'It is my feeling that kindness and love would be much more effective at deterring crime than discipline and authority '

In actual fact kindness and loves include discipline and respect of authority. They are not in opposition to each other as you indicate. I am very pleased I was loved (which included discipline) as a child.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 23 May 2012 6:01:27 PM
runner,

"In actual fact kindness and loves include discipline and respect of authority....."

I agree - it's nice to know we can agree on something. : )

I believe children are most comfortable when there are clear boundaries in which they can conduct their lives. I also think that in the rush of modern life, boundaries become rather nebulous unless parents strive to uphold them. It goes without saying that good social relationships, commitment and responsibility are things that young people learn by example from their parents and from others with whom they share their lives.
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 23 May 2012 8:11:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy