The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Passing legislation is only the tip of the iceberg

Passing legislation is only the tip of the iceberg

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
This constant crowing by labor and their supporters, about getting so much legislation through the house, is simply blowing hot air in many cases.

I touched on this in on another thread, hilighting the fact that while the passing of legislation is a crucial part of any project, the implementation of the policy is where the real issue lies, and this is where labor have failed, and failed miserably.

It's not thier fault, they just don't have the experience, but, rather than seek, or more importantly, implement expert advice, they go out on their tangent, costing us billions along the way.

You can liken it to a few people sitting around a table, coming up with some really great ideas, however, very very few of these ideas actually come to fruition.

As I said in the other thread, you can have the best laid plans to build a house, have them rubber stamped, then engage a doddgy builder, who completely stuffs it up.

This is why people should look beyond the spin by labor and their followers about how clever they are for getting so much legislation through the house.

I am afraid it is simply another labor chest beating exercise.
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 19 May 2012 8:59:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Some comments come from a deep dark hole of failure to understand the subject.
Skating across the surface of an issue finding things that do not exist,while ignoring things that do is not helpful.
Heffernan bash any one last night?
Just maybe, even I find it hard to believe, Thomson's explanation will make more sense than your view today.
Close race but you are a chance Rechtub.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 21 May 2012 5:09:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nice to see you have changed the subject Belly.

Abbott has no choice other than to stand this guy down until he is either found guilty, or cleared.

The old 'put your money where your mouth is ' scenario.

Then, if labor don't act on both Slipper and Thomson, then that will simply prove (to most) just how desperate they are to hold office at any cost.

Btw, I would like to here 579's response
to this thread, considering he/she has been the biggest supporter of this legislation happy government.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 21 May 2012 6:34:21 AM
You have no hope of trivializing legislation. Lets remember the noalition is part of this legislation process. The amount of legislation acted on is historic, and albeit with a hung parliament.
Picking on something that is on trial, is shortsighted and nothing to do with legislation.
Posted by 579, Monday, 21 May 2012 11:35:00 AM
Hitler passed a lot of legislation, too.

Does that make him worthy of crowing?
Posted by Austin Powerless, Monday, 21 May 2012 1:37:54 PM
Perhaps the Slipper/Heffernan/Thomson saga is a sign of things to come. Rather than going to the polls, we can watch our politicians sling mud on one another until they are all forced out of their parties and we have a parliament of independents.

Sorry to continue off-topic, rehctub. I just saw a tangent and found it interesting.

I do like your dodgy builder analogy, though. I think much of our government's legislative record is quite good. The realisation of that legislation, however, is a little shaky. For example, the school at which I work benefited greatly from the 'Building the Education Revolution' initiative. We finally have a hall where the whole school body can meet, out of the tropical sun, at one time. A combination of years of financial austerity on our part, coupled with the opportunity provided by the federal government, brought this dream to life. Many other schools benefited in the same way, and our construction industry received a bit of a boost when times were flat. Yes, we experienced the GFC, but those who think it was as tough here as elsewhere probably need to get out more.

On the flipside, the shoddy way in which it was implemented resulted in enormous waste and overspending in many cases, including the building of new halls/libraries in schools slated for closing down. The lack of regulation surrounding the pink batts initiative resulted in worse - dangerously insulated houses and loss of life.

These two examples serve (to me, anyway) as worrying signs of the ineptitude with which other big projects (e.g. the NBN and the carbon not-tax) may well be implemented.

In that regard, I agree with you. Passing legislation is one thing. Achieving what the legislation sets out to achieve is another thing altogether.
Posted by Otokonoko, Monday, 21 May 2012 10:09:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy