The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The art of driving

The art of driving

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Some would argue that a good driver is one who sticks fastidiously to the law.

I would argue that a good driver considers safety first and the law second, where they are not aligned.

For example: it is often advisable to exceed the speed limit by a little bit in order to do the same speed as everyone else is doing around you, rather than sit right on it or do 5kmh under and be at odds with the traffic flow. If you do this out on the open highway you often get tailgated, overtaken riskily, and experience general discontent from other road users, which is distracting and causes an increased risk to all concerned.

What do you think? Is the law sacred or is there good reason to be a bit loose with it as it concerns speed limits and other driving regulations?
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 3 May 2012 9:19:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Ludwig,

My husband who's learned to drive in the US and had driven
there for approx. nine years and over 30 years in Australia
agrees with you.

The examples that you gave have been frequently expressed
by other drivers and driving instructors both in the US
and here in Australia.

It's only logical that in the interest of safety - one has to
adapt to the driving conditions (within reason)
surrounding you at any given time.
Frequently sticklers to the rules are a hazard
on the roads and as you pointed out - can cause accidents.
There have been instances when we had to accelerate to go
through an inter-section at the change of lights to avoid being
rear-ended as had happened to us once.
Posted by Lexi, Thursday, 3 May 2012 11:25:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree Ludwig and have often been bought back to my 13th year and first real teacher about driving.
He said we learn every day or give it away.
Petrol head me , keeping space between me and others for self defense and speeding a little if it takes that.
Pet hates!
Drivers pulling out in front when you are at speed then slowing while watching in mirror to see if you hit them.
Me moving to right lane,only after being sure it is safe to, so merging blocked traffic can come in from side road.
Goose over takes on inside honking horn!
Good thread.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 4 May 2012 5:20:16 AM
A single car on the road, and the chances are this vehicle will be doing 5 k's over the speed limit.
This happens because it is known police have a calibration tolerance.
This tolerance is wiped out by thinking your speedo is not one of the dodgy ones.
A little bit over is not what it supposed to be about.
60 means 60 not 64, The police should move their tolerance to cut out at 60, so drivers would be more inclined to drive to the speed limit.
The same happens at 100, vehicles travel at 105 until police are spotted, then speed drops to 100.
This says people are deliberately driving over the speed limit, for no other reason than disobeying road rules and filling govt; revenue.
Posted by 579, Friday, 4 May 2012 8:17:34 AM
<<Is the law sacred>>

Shocking that someone could even ask such a question so seriously.

The law is a secular institution, created by politicians with grandiose ideology at best and personal interests at worst, those Napoleons who believe that they have a divine right to violently enforce their ideas on others using guns, dogs and all the other technologies available to their police force.

Fear is not scared - Love is!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 4 May 2012 8:30:59 AM
These pictures sez it all - my driving record is in pic-b, I make no appologies for the caracturisation.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75607346/kippa-ring-cops-pics.zip
You work it out
cheers
Posted by pepper, Friday, 4 May 2012 9:34:02 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy