The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The slippery Slope Presented by Peter Slipper

The slippery Slope Presented by Peter Slipper

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I wonder how well politicians have thought through their call to force Peter Slipper to stand down until the civil case regarding sexual harassment has been resolved.
Let us assume that they get their way and Peter Slipper does stand down. Have they thought of the precedent it would set?
Whereas in a criminal case there has been some preliminary, independent investigation that there is a case to be answered no such requirement exists in a civil case. Any one can bring a civil action against another person provided they have the financial resources to do so.
By requiring Peter Slipper to stand down until the civil matter has been determined politicians are opening up yet another way to destabilise their opponents. All that is required to encourage a former employee or a person with a grudge to launch a civil case, preferably a rather salacious action and yet another minister hits the dust.
Those who are baying for Peter Slipper's head may want to think twice before they commit themselves.
Posted by BAYGON, Saturday, 28 April 2012 12:36:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BAYGON ok but in truth now it has been uncovered the public have as they have been trained by Abbott to,found him guilty already, and they vote.
I find true reason for concern in mounting evidence he has been covered up, by those now calling for his head, for at least 3 parliamentary terms.
So are the claims, mud slinging , only worth mentioning AFTER he leaves?
Abbott wants to deny the other bloke a vote? stunning.
But am I deceiving my self?
In thinking given the chance Abbott would do nothing different in respect of a Slipper or Thomson?
Sad state of affairs Australian Politics in a hung Parliament.
It seems Justice/fairness and voters are hung not the Parliament.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 30 April 2012 4:55:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,
Do you dream about Abbott ? You're unbelievable ! Is there nothing in your life that is not Abbott ? You got to get a life mate. You'll end up wearing yourself out with Abbott on your mind so much. It's way too unhealthy. Let the bloke get his hands on the top job & if he performs worse that any Labor figure then & only then tell yourself how bad he is. But for God's sake wait till he proves himself good or bad first.
Posted by individual, Monday, 30 April 2012 5:43:22 AM
Actually Baygon, in the case of the employer being complained against
the laws introduced by Julia Gillard in fact presume guilt and the
accused has to prove innocence.
So in law Slipper is guilty unless he can prove his innocence.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 30 April 2012 8:38:54 AM
The current government is acting constitutionally,
supported by a majority of the representatives voted in
by the Australian people and the speaker, Mr Slipper
has so far not been found guilty of anything.
Posted by Lexi, Monday, 30 April 2012 10:48:12 AM
I make every effort not to converse with you, your post as is the truth for all of us is a form of body language.
I present you with a thought,you may be very wrong in most things you put in print.
Leave me out of your posts, you asked me to do that.
I did, do the same for me, my posts are mine, opinions mine, and that is my right.
Get a life? have you ever spoken here to any one,without insulting them?
You have my sympathy but never my respect.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 30 April 2012 12:13:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy