The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > When will we reap those for whom we vote?

When will we reap those for whom we vote?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The current crop of politicians in the House of Representatives is not representative of those Australians voted for. This is due to this countries disproportionate two party preferred system. A proportional system would have delivered Labour 57, Coalition 65, Greens 18, Others 10, seats in the House.

Yesterdays Queensland election is even more concerning. A system similar to the federal one is going to deliver 88% of the seats to a party with approximately 50% of the vote. A proportional system would have Labour 24, LNP 44, Greens 7, KAP 10, Others 4 seats.

There are many examples of proportional systems on this planet, the closest being New Zealand’s MMP system. Proportional systems give voice to minorities, retards the power of wealth, encourage haggling, but most importantly for better or worse distribute power proportionate to our wishes!

I think there are many lessons to be learnt from Monty Pythons “Life of Brian”.
Posted by Producer, Sunday, 25 March 2012 11:37:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Producer."Werwease Woger" Sorry we don't have a Woger. Werwease Woderick." There's no Woderick either.Werwease Brwian." "No his off with Kwevnin Kwudd sorting out the UN."
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 25 March 2012 2:08:04 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Producer welcome.
Do not worry about our arjay, that was one of his better posts.
You seem to want one vote one value, is that it?
I am ALP/UNION till death.
But take my medicine for last night not unexpectedly.
As I did in the NSW election, but 12 months before it was held.
I see defeats mostly well earned,and give most voters credit for thinking for them selves.
But as Britain looks to go to our current system, we should leave it in my view.
We have Andrew Wilie , elected from third spot,by Liberal and Labor preferences.
A green in the lower house, elected by Liberal preferences
I shake at the table cloth senate upper house paper,as I want only my thoughts to count in preference.
In my state I can vote once, as it should be.
Far too many think the one box is it, in fact anti Labor and Liberal, greens or any party can actually vote for them.
Under our current system, how strange is that?
Talk to you again.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 25 March 2012 2:34:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay you wascal, I’m sure you are familiar with these scene’s also? They amongst others are more to the point I was making.

Haggling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA
Individualism
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqq3e03EBQ
The people’s front
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE&feature=fvsr
I want to be a woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c

Thankyou Belly

One vote should only ever have one value. The point I am making is that the current system devalues some votes and inflates others! A proportional system is not a seat by seat competition, instead looks at the electorate as a whole. This, as well as the points I made initially reduces pork barrelling and manipulation. The preferential system is fairer in my opinion than first past the post, therefore would improve the Pom’s system. The preference system to elect a seat representative is desirable in conjunction with a party lists to achieve proportionality over the total electorate. I threfore have no issue with Willkie winning from third spot.

The senate is a whole different animal, but does serve a purpose in the current situation. An adoption of a proportional system would enable us to get rid of the senate and dare I say the state components of government. Just think of how many parasites that would get rid of. This is “pie in the sky” and “when pigs fly” stuff.
Posted by Producer, Sunday, 25 March 2012 7:09:24 PM
What we need Producer is to go back to a sensible system.

First past the post eliminates all the ratbag elements from government, & gives us a fighting chance of good government.

It only takes a very quick look at New Zealand & Tasmania to see stupidity getting far too much say.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 25 March 2012 11:52:34 PM
Hasbeen I agree with you !
Get rid of upper houses too and no more rabbits inflicting views disliked by most on us all.
Understand our authors view but no like the local member stuff.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 26 March 2012 3:57:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy