The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > So hands up who thinks we still don't have a problem

So hands up who thinks we still don't have a problem

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
Couldn’t agree more rehctub, I also get very nervous when asked to compare a post ALP Australia with “other economies” that are broke several times over?

Would it not be more appropriate to compare our post ALP Australia with a pre-ALP Australia?

I’m thinking; Pre-ALP looked like NO national debt, $22bn in the Bank and $40bn in the future fund and very healthy economic indicators.

Then we have Post-ALP looking like $220bn National debt, bank account empty, $120M per day interest on debt, that’s about $16,500 per person in Australia, the future fund raided by $5bn, a further National debt of $60bn for the NBN (it is not shown on the national debt books) and all the economic indicators and prospects going in the wrong direction.

Still if you are a rusted on ALP/Green/Independent supporter, why would you want to peer into the ugly and embarrassing world of reality when you can point to failed foreign economies as a distraction.

Look over there! OMG, it’s a Unicorn.
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 9 March 2012 10:19:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I find that I agree most with wobbles.
However most people are looking for a return to business as usual.
Well it will not happen.
We have crossed the Rubicon and we are entering a new world.
TAFE colleges will be far more valuable than Universities as can be
seen just here in my area. There is no electrical trades course at
the Tafe college in this major area, that is just one that I know about.
A friend runs a two way radio company but cannot get trainees when
they find that they have to study at Tafe and go to jobs in the
country and get qualifications to climb masts etc.
It is too much like work.
They can get as much doing something easier like banging a keyboard.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 9 March 2012 10:23:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The NBN will be a salable asset, in time to come. What has that got to do with the discussion at hand. 50 billion of that belongs to credit card.
Always has been up to labor for the infrastructure.
You are a believer of to many charges on business, abbott is proposing to put a [levy] tax on to support woman for payed maternity leave capped at 150,000 / couple.
The modest maternity leave we all ready have is causing no one any harm.
Posted by 579, Friday, 9 March 2012 10:39:19 AM
The retail situation is bad at present, but there are many factors at play.
> Lack of consumer confidence;
> Growing impact of online retailing;
> Pressure on consumers to pay down debt;
> Major commercial property operators slow to realise the problem and therefore charging absurdly high rents, (although this trend is beginning to reverse);
> Difficulty in attracting retail staff;
> Generally poor levels of customer service. (I recently returned from the USA and Asia, where I found retail service to be vastly better than I experience here).
We certainly do have a problem in the retail sector, but not an earth shattering or even unmanageable problem.
The sector will recover, but in vastly different form to the way it is now.
In the coming decades we will see an increase in medium density housing with less car use leading to a more "Manhattan" Style of retail where there are no malls, but every city block has grocery, butcher, flower, deli type shops along with laundry services, etc.
Economies of scale in trasnport are no longer an issue - e.g. Amazon, so it will be easier to economically keep supply up to smaller shops.
The Westfields of the world will disappear,(and good riddance, I say), less money will go out as rent but more will be spent on staffing.
It'll take a while, but the future model of retail is a bright one.
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.au
Posted by Anthonyve, Friday, 9 March 2012 11:09:55 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
*Yabby, skills are a huge problem, trouble is, young ones just can't see the Forrest for the trees.*

Well in that case, perhaps we need the recession that we had to have,
20% unemployment, etc, to teach people values once again.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 9 March 2012 11:30:23 AM
Anthoneyve has a point that I had forgotten.
The days of the shopping malls seems to be ending. In the US there is
even a web site for closed down shopping malls.

Walking around Westfields yesterday it seems hard to imagine.
These sorts of major changes always happen slower and later here than
they do in the US, but they do happen.

The Harvey Norman style shops also will fade out as everything becomes local.
Local furniture manufacturing is recovering here as I mentioned on olo
some time back.

Our biggest problem is that the politicians have not acknowledged that
our economy will never get back the growth it previously had.
I notice that in the last few months the financial commentariate
has started to acknowledge the effect of energy prices on GDP & growth.
This is a fairly new phenomena as previously it was all just a money
go round and the money printing press would solve all.

However the politicians are still pushing it all up hill and hoping
it does not all fall back on them before they are off the scene.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 9 March 2012 11:34:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All