The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australian Navy, Stopping boats, Greens

Australian Navy, Stopping boats, Greens

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Those boldly asserting that boat-people are "invading" this country and need to be met with force have a problem, the Australian navy isn't seeing it that way:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/naval-officers-would-disobey-orders-to-turn-back-asylum-seeker-vessels-under-an-abbott-government/story-fn59niix-1226251160538

Furthermore, if we put refugees on our boats and try to return them to Indonesia they won't be accepted.

The Coalition's policy is going to be an "open door" policy, no better than the status-quo. However, it's all Australia will have to vote for given Labor can't get the Malaysian swap deal up.

Are there any Greens out there to cogently explain how it will stop Mr Abbott from ascending to the lodge on the back of this issue while consigning your party's success to nothing but a temporary aberration?
Posted by Luciferase, Friday, 27 January 2012 1:06:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just another mouth blunder from the statesman.
Posted by 579, Friday, 27 January 2012 3:30:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Abbott has again made a fool of himself.
How ever in all honesty, quoting the Greens is counter productive.
As unpalatable as you may find it.
Greens are less popular than Abbott or Gillard.
I know, Friends leave me for saying that.
But in debate truth stands any test my words are truth.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 27 January 2012 5:28:20 PM
The Greens seem intent on sinking Labor, believing they'll gain market share through intransigence and petulance. They're consigning themselves to irrelevancy while paving Mr Abbott's path to the Lodge.

Hello, is there a Green with any balls out there? I really need to have your position explained to me. Surely there's more to the Green's than empty sentiment?

What a bunch of tyre-kicking time-wasters. Stand up and be something!
Posted by Luciferase, Friday, 27 January 2012 10:17:59 PM
I have lost those I regard as Friends here and in real life.
For just telling the truth.
Harsh and unwelcome but truth.
This hung Parliament has disenfranchised may Australians.
It, the post Rudd election gave unwarranted power to greens, and that continues to hurt Labor.
In time, post a DD election both sides will want, they will return to the numbers such supporters gain.
Truth must always be taken in to consideration.
My words are not the product of a bitter old man.
It is true,Australians do dislike the greens more than both,failures we have leading the majors.
Some could do far worse than hear and see the true impacts on the greens of increasingly radical front women.
Remember, the Greens too, stop a government following the will of the people in offshore processing.
Hand in hand with Abbott.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 28 January 2012 3:20:33 AM
I think Luciferase has stumbled upon the kernel of the problem here but hasn't woken up to it yet.

Whether or not we implement the Malaysian (NON)solution is only a sideshow. The real issue is the disenfranchisement of the Australian electorate.

It is about how a self selected few can ride roughshod over the electorate.And it goes way beyond Bob Brown and his world-govt aspiring, Greens.

In the case that Luciferase has cited we have a *public servant* telling us that he and other public servants would not obey any govt policy which affronted UN covenants

And we see regular instances where activist judges seek out obscure interpretations of legislation.

And we see it here, where our Federal Attorney General has started pushing initiatives like this:

"The Human Rights (Parliamentary Scrutiny) Act 2011 comes into effect today and requires all new bills and disallowable legislative instruments to be accompanied by a 'Statement of compatibility with human rights'. Statements will assess compatibility against the seven main United Nations human rights treaties to which Australia is a party"
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov.au/Media-releases/Pages/2012/First%20Quarter/4-January-2012---Human-Rights-check-for-new-laws.aspx

When were the contents of those covenants put to the Australian electorate?

At times our position in *democratic* Australia does not seem all that far different from many a middle eastern fiefdom where some mullah declares that it isn't material what the populous wants because the will of Allah expressed through Sharia reveals a higher morality--so you will have Sharia because it is good for you.

OLIGARCHS RULE OK!
Posted by SPQR, Saturday, 28 January 2012 7:51:04 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy