The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australian Navy, Stopping boats, Greens

Australian Navy, Stopping boats, Greens

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Again I ask;

Please explain to me how the Indonesians can refuse entry to an
Indonesian vessel with Indonesian crew ?

Why is it that no one who is adament that the boats cannot be
turned back because the Indonesians will refuse entry, cannot show why.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 7 February 2012 2:44:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazz, I wrote: "Furthermore, if we put refugees on our boats and try to return them to Indonesia they won't be accepted."

i.e. should boat-people scuttle their boats and be picked up by our navy they will not be accepted by Indonesia should Australia wish to return them. The Indonesians have said this.

The answer to your question/request, "Please explain to me how the Indonesians can refuse entry to an Indonesian vessel with Indonesian crew?" is they can't and don't.

Sorry not to have addressed this before. I'm not adamant that boats "can't" be turned back, that was happening a decade ago. I'm adamant that they "shouldn't" be turned back again and that the Malaysian swap should be given the chance to work.

The Greens and the Coalition are adamant that it shouldn't be given the chance for different reasons, the former because of flawed, blind principle and sentimentality and the latter because for the cynically astute political reason to get elected.
Posted by Luciferase, Wednesday, 8 February 2012 9:01:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hmmm, even if they are rescued by our naval ships, I think the Navy
would be required to return them to their port of departure, especially
if they were picked up in the Indonesian rescue zone.
I suspect, but am not certain that the zone extends almost to Christmas Island.
It might only take a more determined government to point out to
Indonesia their responsibilty for Indonesian vessels and its passengers.
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 8 February 2012 9:41:03 AM
If they are rescued, there is nothing stopping them being taken directly to Nauru, even now.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:43:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy