The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Boys need a father, but girls not so much

Boys need a father, but girls not so much

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I can't see the good in this type of research, all kids need two good parents.
Both my wife of 22 years and the girl I was with before her have almost identical backgrounds, their fathers were both in the Air Force and they both walked out on their families when the kids were infants. My wife saw her Dad once when she was 8, the other girl met hers for the first time at age 20 and it was a disaster, he broke her heart all over again.
I'd say from experience that girls definitely do need a Father around, the absence of a Father does have a serious negative effect on their development and well being.
I'd question the motivation of the people doing this research, it seems to be a fairly nefarious, or at best unhelpful project.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 27 November 2011 7:28:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah, so I was right,
"Erdal Tekin is an Associate Professor of Economics in the Andrew Young School of Policy Studies at Georgia State University. He is also a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) and a Research Fellow at the Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA). His primary areas of research are labor economics, health economics, and applied microeconomics. Within these fields, he has worked on projects related to the economics of risky behavior and the economics of child care and welfare program participation. He has conducted extensive research on the determinants of criminal behavior among youths and adults, the effects of child care subsidies and prices on employment and welfare decisions of parents as well as the children's development, the effect of food stamp benefits on labor market outcomes, the link between child maltreatment and future criminality, the effect of mental health problems on labor market outcomes, and the causes and the economic consequences of obesity. His research has been funded by various organizations, including the National Institutes of Health, the Administration for Children and Families, Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management, and the Upjohn Institute for Employment Research"
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 27 November 2011 7:36:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...I believe the worst outcome for a boy is to inflict him with a single mother during his developmental years, and is guaranteed to "saddle" him with a lifetime of humiliation: Daughters will always gravitate to their Mothers eventually. The adage, like Father like son, and like Mother like daughter, refers to the imperative of gender alignment.
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 27 November 2011 7:54:12 PM
What I find discouraging about this article is that it will either be ignored, or it will be used to try to justify further erosion of the bonds between daughters and fathers in disputed custody matters.

There was a recent decision of the Family Court in an appeal that a father is to have no contact at all with his daughter, now 5, until she is 18. This is not because the father has abused the child, or because he has a mental disorder or substance abuse problem, or because he is an unfir father in any way, but is simply because the mother has said she will obstruct any such contact in any way possible.

Think about that for a second: this child is being kept from a loving father purely because the mother has such hatred for him that she will disobey court orders to the contrary and has already done so several times.

If I was to appear before any Australian Court on any other matter, would I receive a favourable judgement if I indicated to His Honour my intention to wilfully disregard the orders he might make?

For example, if I was a persistent speeding offender, would his honour make my license free of any penalty for speeding, on the grounds that I would simply do it anyway?

Both parents are important to a child's happiness and emotional stability, with children often naturally gravitating to the parent of the same gender as themselves, but learning important lessons about interpersonal relationships by interacting with the other parent. In some cases, of course, the parent of the opposite gender is the most important to the child. Every case is, after all, unique.
Posted by Antiseptic, Monday, 28 November 2011 5:25:45 AM
Dear Anti,

Bless You - and well said!
Posted by Lexi, Monday, 28 November 2011 2:11:05 PM
What children need is quality people in their environment, and sometimes having no relationship with the biological parents would be best.

*AntiSeptic* when you put up the legal citation for your case and let us read what the judge said then maybe I will be able to take you a bit more seriously.

In my case, the Family Court wisely took away all custodial rights from my biological father when I was about 8 years old as he is indeed a psychologically abusive individual in my experience.

If there is also an environmental basis to my pathology, then my biological father is it.

Regrettably, my biological mother is a half wit who took "advice" from religious muggles and, through the mechanations of Wigus Parasitus, contact was reinstated.

During and after the divorce proceedings, when I refused to believe and testify that my Step Father (who I care about unlike my biological parents) was a faerie, every second weekend in my youth I was subjected to cruel and unusual treatment.

Some of you people, particularly the religious half wits who strut about in a fanciful bubble of bloated moronic belief are a menace, and some of you, especially the HomoPhobes and the Rock Spider Child Abusers and Stealers well deserve capital or corporeal punishment i.m.o.
Posted by DreamOn, Monday, 28 November 2011 4:26:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy