The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Putting in the slipper. Your say.

Putting in the slipper. Your say.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 17
  12. 18
  13. 19
  14. All
It's a bit late for the No-alition to be taking the high moral ground now, considering their history of ignoring convention (when it suits) and their part in other cover-ups.

The Slipper rorts date way back beyond his last pre-selection and were well known among his colleagues. He's been in the LNP since 1993 (after a short stint between 1984-87).

They were happy to keep him around for 18 years while these things were going on but now they suddenly claim to have decided he was a problem.

Even I remarked about them 3 months ago and was wondering why they hadn't surfaced in the general media.
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=4658#122155

I assumed Labor would use it against him personally when the time was right but failed to consider that when it comes to fear-and-loathing and smear, nobody can beat the LNP. Now they're doing it to one of their own.

However, this time they were beat at their own game and were apparently caught by surprise. Abbott seems to be always burning bridges somewhere.

I for one am enjoying the sideshow.
Posted by wobbles, Friday, 25 November 2011 1:56:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There seems to be more than a few poppets here who appear to be more informed about these matters above and beyond that which is broadcast on the media alone. Interesting ...

For me, I know virtually nothing about him other than what I have read here and seen in recent news snippets.

But, let's see .. on his first day he wore a big GREEN tie. Mmmmm .. that's one tick.

Then secondly, a very deft and professional dispensation of his duties straight off the bat. WACK!

" ... The Member is Warned! .. will remove HimSelf from the Chamber! ... 94A! ... You're Out! .. 94A! .. You're Out! .."

HaHaHa

Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 25 November 2011 7:52:39 AM

" ... The funniest thing is watching the Lib supporters throwing a tanty, ... "

HaHaHa

Posted by The Blue Cross, Friday, 25 November 2011 8:08:43 AM

" ... That said, I did enjoy, relish even, the indignation-writ-large on the face of Abbott as this unfolded. ... "

HaHaHa

Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 25 November 2011 11:42:47 AM

" ... The ongoing slow baking of Thomson as the police net closes around him and Williamson is not going to be helped with the drip feeding to the press of the details of the inquest into the finances of Labor's new speaker. ... "

I remain displeased with the ALP as a consequence of Juliar's claims that she does not have the imprisoned Indonesian children's legal documents. Having created all these document's myself and being aware of what is required, and if we are for a moment to assume that she is being truthful, then I can but assume that she simply does not care to know. .. Fire at Will commander! ;-)
Posted by DreamOn, Friday, 25 November 2011 1:56:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The funniest thing for me was seeing Peter Reith (of phone-card rort fame) calling Slipper a "Liberal Rat".
Posted by rache, Friday, 25 November 2011 2:03:03 PM
One didn't need to be Einstein to see something like this coming.

It was all spelled out here, for one thing, as early as 3 September 2011: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/state-politics/lnp-mp-peter-slipper-threatens-revolt-as-win-looms-for-mal-brough/story-e6frgczx-1226128495557 The then looming 'win' referred to was that of the party organisational position of chair of the Fisher federal divisional council: a launch pad for endorsement.

A bit more background here: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/lnp-has-no-idea-says-brough-20100622-yu0j.html . If I understand it correctly, Mal Brough was not a member of the LNP when nominations for pre-selection for the seat of Longman were called in 2010, but upon Wyatt Roy's winning thereof Brough was widely attributed with having the view that that pre-selection should have been set aside, he (Brough) in the meantime having decided to join the LNP and become eligible to have thrown his hat in the ring for endorsement in Longman. Note how he answered the question about the fitness of a 20-year-old candidate to be a representative.

So much for Mal Brough's political judgment in that respect.

For all that Peter Slipper may have been allegedly self-indulgent with respect to his parliamentary allowances and entitlements, he was, and is, the sitting member for the Division of Fisher. If he is all that unpopular, short of some actual provable criminality, it is the electors of Fisher who have the ultimate right to see him on his way out of the Parliament.

I find it just a little strange that despite the long-ago issued judgement-call of Mal Brough that Slipper should be on his way due to unpopularity within his local LNP organisation, it is only just now that new members claimed to be favouring Brough are fulfilling their 12-month-membership requirements that will allow them to vote organisationally. Branch stacking the way to victory, by any chance?

Real team play from Brough, eh what? Couldn't have his own way!

Step right up Wyatt Roy. This is ALL YOUR FAULT!
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Friday, 25 November 2011 2:29:42 PM
One facet to this that the media hasn’t yet mentioned is the threat from the member of the seat in which I live, Graham Perrett, to resign if there’s a leadership challenge. This move provides a buffer for anyone thinking about challenging Gillard - especially since Wilkie was promised today that the pokies proposal won’t be dumped.
Posted by AJ Philips, Friday, 25 November 2011 2:30:57 PM
Yes Perrit the ferret is one Andrew Wilkie another.
But I do Honestly, get pure joy! at Shadow Ministers discomfort.
Like Abbott, blowing air in to a balloon and telling us it is an blimp truth gets left behind.
12 months ago Slipper go his 9th nomination for his seat.
Given the whimpering about a man not yet convicted of anything.
Given past events like Labor senator Harradeen from Tasmania leaving the ALP and voting with the Liberals? what fun!
Now Shadow My mate, if Slipper was so bad and given your dislike of him was your side covering up for him,
Excuse me broke in to a giggle.
A storm in a tainted tea cup, I however support the nomination of the Childlike Pyne, it would at least shut the fool up.
Labor got its nomination for deputy up TBC.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 25 November 2011 4:35:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 17
  12. 18