The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Baning CO2 emissions.

Baning CO2 emissions.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The current World Theme is, "Baning Greenhouse Gasses." I solidly agree with this sentiment. Excessive Greenhouse gasses are bad for the planet. There is, though, a need to have some of these gasses in the enviroment, in the right proportions, for the planet to work efficiently in order to sustain life in it's many forms.

CO2 has copped a really bad wrap of late, but it's not the worst GHG there is. Methane tops the list as the worst by a long shot. Yet, I have heard very little mention of Methane in the many discusions in this forum. Much research is being done on ways to expedite the removal of CO2 from the atmosphere, but very little to reduce Methane.

A little aside here. I have a 1999 Diahatsu Handivan, in the Owners Manual the is a section on Emission Control. I Quote, "The 3 way Catalyst. The 3 way Catalyst functions to convert CO, HC's & NOx into harmless Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Water (H2O) & Nitrogen (N2)." So 12 years ago CO2 was considered HARMLESS. How things change.

Most people in this forum associate CO2 with Heavy Industry, Such as Coal Fires Power Stations & Vechicle Emissions. However there is another industry that pours great amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere on purpose & most people, in the Western World, support this industry whole heartedly. In fact, I have never heard anyone complain about the size of this this industry huge contribution to CO2 pollution at all. Cont.
Posted by Jayb, Sunday, 2 October 2011 2:12:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cont.

The Carbonated Water Industry. I have done some crude estimations, or Best Guess. There is an estimated 9.6 billion people on this planet. If 1/2 of them have daily access to Carbonated Water then that's 4.8 billion people. If half of them drink one standard carbonated can per day that's 2.4 billion people drinking 2.4 billion cans. Carbonated water contains , according to the book, "Carbonated Soft Drink Formulation & Manufacture" Steern & Ashurst. Carbonated Water is produced using Carboloc Acid, it is not pulled out of the atmosphere at the bottleing plant.

There are 1.98 Grams of CO2 disolved in 1 Liter of Carbonated Water. That's .7425 grams/375 ml can. Using simple maths. 2.4 billion cans by .7425 grams gives 1782 Tons/day or 650875.5 Tons/year of CO2, in a crude estimate, being poured into the Atmosphere every year by the Carbonated Water industry. Will YOU stop buying Soft Drinks Or Beer in order to save the planet or is that too much to ask? Or, is this another, "I don't want to know about it." problem.
Posted by Jayb, Sunday, 2 October 2011 5:05:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
good points jayb

lets not forget that home compost produces methane
[tax them greenies with worm farms]

how about nitrogen..80 times as bad as c02
you know nitrogen..that makes that nice green salad

farmers use lots of it...in making soy
and worse is that 60%..of all nitrogen applied onto crops
turns into nitrous oxide..[120 times worse than a c02 'part per million]

then we come to that solar cell cleaner
hundreds of times worse than c02

and the list goes on
but so too the collective ignorances

i note the normal carbon tax cheer squad is mute with guilt
abbot if he really didnt want the tax would raise these questions in parlement

that he dont
reveals he is just a mr no..[too]
he wants the tax..but wants to be seen as opposing it more

so when he goes the double disolution
workers will once again resent,,the new tax and the new laws his election will raise..[but those running the 2 party scam..will say well done allround]

and still the party blindness
from the party lotalists refuse to face the ugly truth

this is about the next the cut for workers
that cuts their wage

recall gst..10% cut in wage
recall compulsory super to bailout the investers[running the 2 pary scam]
10%..cut in workers wage

ditto the carbon tax
dont befoooled that only 1000..[oops sorry only 500 will pay
and that 9/10 will get extra..the darn tax is indexed

meaning its going to grow at inflation rate FOREVER
based on spin and lies

look at the big number
the carbon tax is going to cost 70 BILLION..to get rid of

who is paying that LOSS of income

the mug workers
ie larratters/liberals greenies alike

next tax the other GREENhouse gasses
more tradeable commodies..[thin air]

silence is guilt?
Posted by one under god, Sunday, 2 October 2011 9:45:46 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Had to look up "baning" in the dictionary.

Found this:

"Verb

baning: Present participle of bane."

OK

Looking further:

"Noun

bane (plural banes)

A cause of misery or death; an affliction or curse

The bane of my existence"

Heh, heh, heh.

Kill CO2 NOW.

I get it!
Posted by Ammonite, Monday, 3 October 2011 9:21:36 AM
Yes..., I know. I saw it as soon as I pressed send. :-( One of those thing. It's what I tell my wife, She is the boon of my bane. Old Scottish saying. The joy of my misery.

Came up with some others.
Humans breath out 9.6 million tons of CO2 per year. Not counting what all the animals contribute.
Oxy/Acet creates CO2 & burns up O2 lowering the amount of O2 in the atmosphere, thereby increasing the percentage of CO2.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 3 October 2011 9:49:14 AM
JayB

>> She is the boon of my bane. Old Scottish saying. The joy of my misery. <<

Love it.

What say you about this:

" From the mountainous Southwest deep into Texas, wildfires raced across parched landscapes this summer, burning millions more acres. In Colorado, at least 15 percent of that state’s spectacular aspen forests have gone into decline because of a lack of water.

The devastation extends worldwide. The great euphorbia trees of southern Africa are succumbing to heat and water stress. So are the Atlas cedars of northern Algeria. Fires fed by hot, dry weather are killing enormous stretches of Siberian forest. Eucalyptus trees are succumbing on a large scale to a heat blast in Australia, and the Amazon recently suffered two “once a century” droughts just five years apart, killing many large trees.

Experts are scrambling to understand the situation, and to predict how serious it may become.

Scientists say the future habitability of the Earth might well depend on the answer. For, while a majority of the world’s people now live in cities, they depend more than ever on forests, in a way that few of them understand. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/01/science/earth/01forest.html?tntemail0=y&_r=1&emc=tnt&pagewanted=all
Posted by Ammonite, Monday, 3 October 2011 9:54:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy