The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Abbott, wedded to outdated values?

Abbott, wedded to outdated values?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. All
Once again, Pelican speaks with balance and reason.

Tony Abbott does appear reactionary and "flip-floppy" on most issues, so as a politician he, along with the rest of the federal players, strikes me as less than a wise leadership type. I think he's pretty well representative of the sort of person modern society has cultivated as the new type of political representative.

I don't believe one can assume that he's a "woman hater" or that he will have any power to dictate social change amongst the population. Many conservative ideologies are incompatible with a modern consumerist society, in that you can't have both. If "growth" and consumerism is to remain the pinnacle of modern Australian aspiration, then traditional values are to remain in the back seat as we go forward....for instance, mums can't look after the tots if they're expected to be out in the workplace making the bickies.

Neither of the parties exude much of anything that inspires confidence, being representative of a shallow, insular, materialist society fast running out of any pretence of organic social affinity - our political manifestations reflect the vacancy of our cultural malaise.
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 2 October 2011 7:36:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Abbott is our problem
Belly,
He may be Labor's problem alright but Labor is Australia's problem & that is a serious problem.
Your insipid hatred & your mindless loyalty shows by your insisting of trying to ridicule Abbott with name calling. The mad monk ? Tony ? What does that make you ? Take a good look in the mirror, learn about grammar & spelling & then start having silly thoughts about even more silly attempts at ridiculing people who are way more intelligent than you. You only contribute to dissent not to the bettering of the country but what can you expect from an ex union crap stirrer.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 2 October 2011 7:44:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tony Abbott has a wife and two daughters.What proof do you have that he is a mysogynist?
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 2 October 2011 7:47:23 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I read a little extract of that Mitchell fluff in the Fairfax press. She was no ornament to ABC Brisbane and her talents haven't magically improved in the intervening years. Still, she seems to appeal to the shallow end of the left side of the pool. I can't wait for Lexi to quote her at us...
Posted by Antiseptic, Sunday, 2 October 2011 8:01:41 AM
individual,

Regarding the "ridicule" that you protesteth against so vehemently concerning Mr Abbott.
You then go and blot your copy book by employing exactly the same tactics against Squire Belly. You called him names and cast aspersions on his intelligence.

Notwithstanding, your pedantic preferment for correct grammar and spelling, possessing competence in these areas doesn't guarantee intelligence or wisdom - or preclude hypocrisy!
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 2 October 2011 8:11:02 AM
Lexi,

It just occurred to me that you I think have mentioned in the past that you identify with your Catholic religion.

Are there degrees of Catholicism, by which people should judged and tagged as to their suitability for public office. I think we're aware that Tony's personal beliefs are not going to result in his attempting to dictate a new social order, even if there's a modicum of hypocrisy in that stance...no more so that Julia's adherence to chaplains in schools, for instance.

My best friends are church-going Catholics with a huge family of daughters/sons-in-law, grandchildren,etc - and they are the most egalitarian people I know.

I'm not at all satisfied that Tony Abbott possesses sufficient wisdom to make a capable Prime Minister. He's not my idea of a "leader" - but then again, nor is Julia Gillard.
Posted by Poirot, Sunday, 2 October 2011 8:55:04 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 21
  10. 22
  11. 23
  12. All