The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Abbott, wedded to outdated values?

Abbott, wedded to outdated values?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. All
Author Susan Mitchell has written a new damning book about her views on Tony Abbott, titled 'Tony Abbott: A Man's Man'.

I have to say that what I have read about it so far, this Author writes about some of my own (and many other women I know)fears about this guy getting any closer to the Prime Minister's office than he is already.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/book-shows-abbott-as-dangerous-man-20111001-1l1y4.html

"Her overall image of Abbott the man is one of being "pugnacious, aggressive and arrogant", wedded to the outdated values of his "male mentors" in his narrow Catholic upbringing."

In many ways I felt the same way about John Howard and his similarly old fashioned views, but I did not think that Howard had the obvious problems with a dislike of women that Abbott has.

He seems a very aggressive fellow when he has been interviewed a number of times, especially by female reporters.

I am not sure that Julia Gillard is the right leader for this country, but I am very sure we don't don't need an aggressive, misogynistic, ultra-conservative leader still living in the past.

What do others think about the article above, reported online by The Sydney Morning Herald?
Posted by suzeonline, Saturday, 1 October 2011 4:20:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have always picked up on his aggression towards women, this is what drives him in parliament, to reject everything. He can-not stand being overshadowed by a woman. Being a religious fanatic , i am not sure this is good for the community as a whole. People make up their own mind about religion. Not good to have someone that is biased in their leanings on religion.
Posted by 579, Saturday, 1 October 2011 4:57:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Suze,

Whether the author has done a fair assessment on
Tony Abbott - I can't really say, not having
read the book.

In any case - most
people as far as politicians are concerned will
usually not analyze the person based on the
information written within the book. They read
the bits they want to agree with and discount any
other evidence that confounds their preconceived
ideas.

I can only judge Mr Abbott by the way he's appeared
thus far. And I do question his suitability as PM.
He doesn't just limit his misinformation and fear
mongering to climate change. He can be heard mouthing
off on any controversial issue, particularly if there
are marginalised or victimised people involved who
make easy targets for whipping up prejudice.

Also it's a bit concerning that he seems to put his
own political ambitions ahead of his constituents.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 1 October 2011 5:09:03 PM
put his
own political ambitions ahead of his constituents.
Lexi,
you're really living up to ALP standard with this comment. I think you oweTony an apology for comparing him with the bulk of ALP pollies. That really is the height of hypocrisy.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 1 October 2011 6:14:56 PM
Dear Individual,

I tell it as I see it.
It has nothing to do with the ALP.
And, expressing my opinion in this country
is as far as I'm aware, still allowed.
Of course that may change if Mr Abbott gets in
as PM. He'll be telling us who we can marry,
what we can or can't do with our bodies,
and all those other niceties that are part and
parcel of his religious beliefs. I'd certainly
like to be proven wrong - but to date there
have been no pleasant surprises - unfortunately.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 1 October 2011 7:32:12 PM
cont'd ...

BTW: Stop behaving like a silly old differ
and blaming everything on the ALP (you sound
like Mr Abbott). Mr Abbott's a big boy and
he has to take the responsibility for his
own actions. If he behaves like an idiot -
of course he'll be judged by voters.
And at present quite frankly neither party
has any reason to feel smug. As I've stated
on another thread - it's slim pickings all
round at present.
Posted by Lexi, Saturday, 1 October 2011 8:00:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. 23
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy