The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Forced marriages/other alien cultural practices

Forced marriages/other alien cultural practices

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Here is an article from todays smh.

What a brave girl! I suspect she is now encountering the full wrath of her family and community, maybe even ostracised.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/girl-16-gets-court-to-halt-marriage-20110929-1kzds.html

How many others?

Some years ago, it came to light that about 6 young girls sought assistance from our overseas embassies, as they had been sent to middle east countries, supposedly on holiday, but on arrival had found that they were expected to be party to an arranged marriage.

Since then I have endeavoured to get information on the number of forced marriages that occur here but no figures are available. Going on UK figures and applying them here it seems that about 1000 could occur each year.

It seems to me that we should have some easy means where girls, or boys, can get assistance if in this likely situation and that assistance should be widely publicised.

It also raises the question as to where we draw the line on what alien cultural practices we turn a blind eye to. FGM and polygamy are a couple of examples.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 30 September 2011 12:03:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I too read the article and as I think may be the case with you am less than happy with it.
You like me, must remember however we are in the Majority.
That is a handy cap.
Any thing we say will be seen as xenophobia, racist or such.
Multi Cuturism, wrongly used to describe the importing of a culture with little intent to include us, draws lines between us.
This young lady, without luck, will see her husband, likely also to be a cousin, bought here.
Get used to it MINORITY'S RULE.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 30 September 2011 2:10:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nice try at widening the target, Banjo.

>>It also raises the question as to where we draw the line on what alien cultural practices we turn a blind eye to. FGM and polygamy are a couple of examples.<<

Given that i) the issue here is arranged marriages and ii) they are not limited to "Lebanese Muslims", your attempt to put FGM under the same heading is a little... obvious, shall we say. A number of my Hindu friends have over the years headed off to India to marry a girl who had been selected for them. Quite an occasion, by all accounts. Lasts for days.

The issue is whether we should intervene when asked, to which the answer is clearly yes, we should. Here's a case from earlier this year:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/arranged-marriage-ruled-invalid/story-e6frg6nf-1225999051515

And here's another, from last year.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/fleeing-arranged-marriage-20100915-15ckx.html

It seems to me that we, as a country, do all that is necessary to help these poor individuals. And as far as I am aware, we have laws that forbid both FGM and polygamy.

So much for that red-herring-cum-dog-whistle.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 30 September 2011 2:35:58 PM
I think it's great that she stood up for herself. I understand and respect the fact that different cultures have different practices, but when you move to a new country, you have to respect the laws and rights that people in that country enjoy. In Australia a parent does NOT have the right to force their child to marry against their will. That should be enforced.
Posted by kimcasablancas, Friday, 30 September 2011 11:07:55 PM
I think some of us are a bit too quick to condemn arranged marriages.

Irmnan was party to an arranged marriage --at the tender age of 18.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15032947

Did he lose interest in his appointed partner --did he dabble with infidelity --no sha-ria!

He went right-out and got married again.

And Irman is not alone --quiet apart from his two wives!-- there are many more like him.
Posted by SPQR, Saturday, 1 October 2011 10:10:07 AM
Pericles,
You said, "So much for that red-herring-cum-dog-whistle"

Comon, the thread heading indicates more than the one alien cultural practice that is of concern where we should do more.

Surely you do not believe that all we need to do is pass a law and everything is A OK.

Arranged/forced marriages is only one of some cultural practices that we turn a blind eye to, unless brought to our attention by the rare court action by these courageous girls.

What is needed here is a well publicised way that these girls can get help and the parents charged with abuse. You are quite right in pointing out that forced marriages are not only that of Lebanese culture, but of other cultures as well. Neither is FGM or polygamy but all have one thing in common, they are alien cultures that are against our laws.

You may be interested to know that FGM has been illegal in all states since 1994. No has been charged with an offence and the incidence is increasing.

No doubt passing a law makes the politicians feel good but does little in itself to reduce the problem, unless action is taken to enforce the law.

Thank you for bringing the other articles to my attention, I had missed them, but now will save them. I noted another article on the recent court action that noted that the magistrate said the incidence was increasing.
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 1 October 2011 11:07:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy