The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Strikes everywhere. Are they being unreasonable?

Strikes everywhere. Are they being unreasonable?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Everywhere ypu turn there is a strike happening, mostly over pay disputes.

Some are being offered more than projected CPI increases, but they are still not happy.

There can be little doubt we are heading into unchartered waters, with the euro debt cricis and many sectors here either failing, or at least suffering from our two speed economy.

Now we are not talking about low paid workers here, as many of the striking workers are on well above the national average.

I just think it's time for these discontented workers to either except that times are tough, FOR ALL, or quit their jobs and give it to someone who really wants the work.

And, in typical union thuggery form, many are striking at times that they know cause great pain to those they effect by their actions.

And they wonder why the likes of qantas and BHP pack up and leave.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 6:48:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
here we go again
them mug workers
SIMPLY..wanting to cover the cost of govt revenue raising

and you whining..about paying a few percent more

yet you got the hide to start that other topic
to get carbon credits for carbon sequestation..SUBSIDY

you mug
sure a tax will force the workers..to pay it

but mate
you pay the workers

and so the viscious cycle continues
next mate it will be an 'abouve inflation'..increase
to cover the COMPULSORY super increase..

mate we cant live on credit cards forever

heres an clue
do it yourself

let corperations figure out how tHEY can give more tax
the workers are sukked dry

they ask for a pathetic token
compared to al the extra costs the alp govts are heaping on them

while bailing out you

master
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 7:58:24 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here we go, the usual one sided drivel over strikes, "I just think it's time for these discontented workers to either except that times are tough, FOR ALL, or quit their jobs and give it to someone who really wants the work".

A few points here:

When EBAs run out, and new ones are being negotiated, unions are legally empowered to take industrial action. This is a very limited legal power. The human right of being able to withdraw your labour is denied to workers in Australia and this is the cutprice offering by the state in return.

The unemployment rate is about 5 percent in Australia, so there are not many people lining up for these jobs.

When I scan my newspaper job section to see what's going on, there are no jobs advertised without demands for a host of skills and blue/white tickets for everything from arse-wiping to pumping up tyres. Employers refuse to train anyone anymore, so clearly there is no shortage of labour in Australia.

While it is frowned upon for waged workers to expect to at least keep up with inflation, and people like Hardly Normal moan when these workers stop spending their surplus wages in his shops, there is no public commentary whatsoever on the excessive salaries and bonus payments that flow to a handful of executives, and equally, no demands that these excessive payments get taxed properly, with endless legal tax loopholes that ensure the lower paid pay for the highly paid- just look at all the failures of capitalism that are subsidised by the taxpayer.

As for QANTAS packing up- it would help if the management did their job and ran a decent and efficient airline for a change.

I am booking two flights to the UK and have told the agent any airline but not QANTAS. Blow me down, she said that that is her approach for her own flights, and many of her customers too. QANTAS stinks as a brand but it does not stop them paying their imported boss squillions for running the firm badly.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 8:25:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Strikes every where?
Have you and ideas other than this bigotry and blindness.
A fact, under current Nation wide LAW a strike can only take place during enterprise or wage negotiation periods, After applying to courts
Safety is the only other issue that allowed strike.
At present, we are in a period unmatched for its lack of industrial strife.
I think it best that I no longer feed the anti worker stuff you generate Rechtub from a very dark place called uninformed land.
My regards we can talk in threads not unfairly bashing those you dislike so intensely.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 11:58:48 AM
OUG, you are such a toss sometimes.

Wher did this come from ..yet you got the hide to start that other topic
to get carbon credits for carbon sequestation..SUBSIDY

I am sure you are on a different planet at times.

BTW. These are not your low paid workers you know and, what gives them the right to strike at a time which causes so much heartache for the traveling public.

Many of the folk have saved for a year or more for their family holiday, only to have it disrupted by these inconsiderate people.

It's not as if these staff are on the bread line you know.

In any case, 15% over 3 years, in these tough times is unreasonable and, before you lot use the old 'what about the CEO's pay', just remember, these CEO's jobs are there for the taking. Others simply need to step up if they want that job.

After all, nobody is born with a job.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 9:47:17 PM
"what gives them the right to strike"

Well, as I said before, it is the process of enterprise bargaining, so the state gives the permission.

Just as the state gave QANTAS the same permission to stand their staff down the other day.

Same set of laws, same disruption.

But what's this? No comment about Q management disrupting flights?
Posted by The Blue Cross, Wednesday, 28 September 2011 11:26:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy