The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > As the non mining economy slows, Labor slams on the brakes.

As the non mining economy slows, Labor slams on the brakes.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/opinion/rise-in-power-prices-the-only-carbon-tax-certainty/story-e6frg9px-1226135194401

Labor is preparing to ram through the 19 carbon tax bills in record time, whilst not even having the corrected modelling it promised.

"It is also that the price set on carbon is too low to drive substantial investment in alternative energy sources, including gas as the fundamental alternative to coal, unless this is even more directly and heavily subsidised by taxpayers.

Yet the proposed initial tax rate of $23 a tonne -- let alone any higher -- will be another major drag on the economy and business just when so much of the manufacturing sector is already struggling, confidence remains abysmal and global risks dwarf any domestic agenda.

The gyrations on the stockmarket should provide warning enough that another tax is one more problem for an economy being buffeted by such a huge structural change and the constant threat of imported instability.

Even those in the business world who once supported the notion of pricing carbon are now mostly silent (Marius Kloppers, where are you?) if not aghast at how the issue has played out.

The Gillard government is determined to proceed anyway, knowing it now has no option politically after so heavily promoting carbon pricing as essential. Wayne Swan tried again in parliament to put the carbon tax into the category of fundamental reform pioneered by the Hawke Keating government. This claim will only confirm the now almost unanimous view in the broader business community that Labor simply does not understand competitive pressures and commercial incentives and disincentives when it comes to investment."

It is no surprise that business confidence is plunging to new lows in the wake of a government ignorant of the needs of the economy.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 3:11:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No surprise.
No substance.
No evidence.
In ten years when we see new jobs new industry and know we followed not lead on this issue.
Such as Shadow Minister, as they did with superannuation and so much more.
Finding the wheels have not fallen off, will claim the credit for it.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 5:11:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,

Good to see you with your head firmly in the sand in support of Labor's policies once again.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 6:11:05 PM
belly, i just wish you had the dollars to underwrite your predictioms, because, unless you ate on a different planet to me, i dont see the growth in th economy you do.

I flew back from north qld today and saw no,less than 15 people standing around sith stop go signs and alike just in anticipation that a car was going to arrive.

All these jobs were provided for by the tax payer, nothing made as usual.

This country is in very poor shape and if th leaders come from the same thinking as you do, then pitty help us as we are in fo a torrent time ahead.

Retail, on its knees.

Manufacturing, gone!

Tourism, all but gone.

Farming, going fast.

Steel workers going fast.

Yet, this fool of a PM has the hide to imply we are doing wll and that a carbon tax will fix verything.

I just wish they were fnancially liable for th stuff ups the create.

All they care about is making sure the worker can live well on a 38 hr week even without skills.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 6:12:42 PM
Well Shadow Minister you will have seen us protesting on TV tonight down at Parliament House saying, "NO CARBON TAX" There were on about 60 of us but we had a big impact.So if you and others want to make a difference,actions speak louder than words.

This has to be a people movement from a grass roots level.The Labor Party is shaken to its'core and we have to increase the pressure.If you are interested I'll give you contact numbers.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 10:19:15 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I now leave this waste land the thread has become.
A grin of enjoyment on my face.
I never intended to taunt,but arjay has turned the thread to satire.
Rechtub to a darkroom he is trying to find his way around in.
Shadow Minister? in saying my every thought is Labor bias!
From him!
You GOTTA laugh!
Polling shows this
If Rudd rules Labor wins.
So you SM are selling rotten fish, out side the walf the boats come in with full loads of fresh ones!
See you all in another thread chuckling as I go.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 14 September 2011 5:41:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy