The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Excellence

Excellence

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
In an age of supposed sexual freedom it is disconcerting to see Disneyfied mermaids with bras. Cliches and overused symbols are not restricted to language. Pre-twentieth century images of mermaids had them unclad.
Posted by david f, Sunday, 11 September 2011 10:35:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pelican

I have often thought that bureaucracy, both corporate and government, is a rich field and have considered penning a satire. Ricky Gervais came very close with "The Office."

Anti

All is clear now - I wasn't meant to read such text - not being of management material (being more of the "stick it up your darkest orifice" type person).

Steven

Another word that has been metaphorically buggered in the average office is "teamwork". If management wanted to 'transparently' 'facilitate' 'best practice' it should spend a day on any film set and watch the production crew.

Filming is expensive business; the majority of people from the extras through to the director actually want to be there - compared to the majority of office workers. While 12 hour days or more are common, there is immediate feedback and one knows when one has absolutely nailed a scene - very satisfying. I am sure there are directors and actors who are led by their egos - I have yet to encounter any, whereas I have worked in many offices (temp work being my fall back when money is tight) and can identify more grandstanding and ego driven policy making in the average office than I have ever in film production.

Of course, I may need to establish a 'steering committee' to verify my proposal.
Posted by Ammonite, Sunday, 11 September 2011 11:15:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A fishy story. Are they nuts?

Oily fish and nuts 'cut chance of food allergies'

See:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8750495/Oily-fish-and-nuts-cut-chance-of-food-allergies.html

>>There is considerable debate about how real the reported increase [in food allergies] actually is, however. The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice) last year estimated that while more than a third believed they were allergic to some form of food, only a tenth were found to be allergic when properly tested. >>

Maybe NICE is that rare beast, a "centre of excellence" that is truly excellent.

The real story is summarised here:

>>Academics have discovered that omega-3 fatty acids - found in fish like salmon, mackerel and tuna, as well as walnuts, pumpkin seeds and linseeds - prompt the gut to develop in a way that boosts the immune system.

>>And they warn that more children could now be at risk of food allergies than in the past because consumption of such foods has fallen.>>
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Sunday, 11 September 2011 12:17:51 PM
It had to happen

DUTCH SCIENTIST FIRED FOR FAKING DATA

See:

http://the-scientist.com/2011/09/08/dutch-scientist-fired-for-faking-data/

>>Diederik Stapel, who headed the Institute for Behavioral Economics Research at Tilburg University, routinely published controversial findings that seemed to get at fundamental aspects of human nature…

[…]

But late last month (August 27), researchers in his lab contacted the Rector of the university, Philip Eijlander, and alleged that some of the data was fabricated, ScienceInsider reports. In a TV interview, Eijlander revealed that Stapel admitted to faking the data and was leaving the university. A panel will investigate the extent of the fraud and “tainted papers” will be retracted, Eijlander told ScienceInsider.>>

OK, not much of a story. Throughout the history of science scientists have faked data. It’s happened in the past and will unfortunately happen in the future. The usual penalty for fudging your data is the sack.

However, note that the good professor worked at the “Institute for Behavioral Economics Research at Tilburg University” which is part of the university’s School of Social and Behavioural Sciences.

It will come as no surprise to readers of this thread that Tilburg University’s School of Social and Behavioural Sciences has, as I suspected, an “EXCELLENCE PROGRAM.”

Yes, really.

See:

http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/about-tilburg-university/schools/socialsciences/excellenceprogramme/

EXCELLENCE AT FAKING DATA?
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Sunday, 11 September 2011 12:55:31 PM
Found this on the web:

Once upon a time, an American company and a Japanese
company entered into a competition, a race on the
Bear River. Both teams practiced hard and on the day,
they both felt as ready as they could be.
The Japanese won by a mile!

Afterwards the American teams morale began to sag and
Corporate Management decided that the reason for their
loss had to be found. A "The Continuous Improvement Team,"
was appointed to look into the matter and it was to suggest
appropriate corrective action.

Their conclusion: The problem was that the Japanese team
had eight people rowing and one person steering, whereas
the American Team had one person rowing and eight people
steering. The American Corporate Steering Committee immediately
recommended looking into the managment structure. After
some time and millions of dollars spent it was decided that
there were too many people steering and not enough rowing.
To prevent losing to the Japanese kagain, the American Team
re-organised to three Steering Directors, Three Steering
Managers, Two Steering Supervisors, and a new performance
system for the new person rowing the boat harder.

"We must give him empowerment and enrichment. That ought
to do it!"
The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American corporation laid off the rower.
to cut costs, sold all the paddles, cancelled all capital
investments for new equipment, halted the development
of a new canoe, gave a "Superior Performance" Award to the
consulting firm and distributed the money saved as bonuses
to the senior executives.

Which only goes to show - that if you keep on doing
what you've been doing, you'll keep getting what you've
gotten. Don't expect different results.

BTW: My favourite "Buzz word," is "Multi-tasking."
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 11 September 2011 2:13:24 PM
Good one Lexi.

Multi-tasking the ability to get administrative tasks done by non-administrative people.

AKA the dilution of 'excellence'.
Posted by Ammonite, Sunday, 11 September 2011 2:21:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy