The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Bill Shorten declaring his ambitions of becoming Prime Minister

Bill Shorten declaring his ambitions of becoming Prime Minister

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
On the ABC news,this morning it was stated that Bill Shorten has voiced his ambitions of becoming the Leader of the Labor Party. Now this could be another press-generated rumor, but what does every one think about this?
NSB
Posted by Noisy Scrub Bird, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 11:34:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
NSB thanks for the chance to comment
I have had the Honor to know the man, in away work for him.
My life time Union the AWU owes him our existence.
Not long ago he came to the top in a union that had just Amalgamated.
It was no easy job, we went in to an internal war.
I proudly a son of the AWU long before saw Bill Shorten meld the union with Bill Ludwig and others back to one,todays AWU is too a son of my AWU.
Bill like the man who took his job, Paul Howe's is no fool, let the anti unionists rant but that is all it is,these two are our future.
Shorten,read his speech history while running the union,see his speechs in Parliament.
He tends to be driven ,may turn up in unmatched shoes cares not about his appearance some times, is late often.
But brilliant.
I think Kevin Rudd had him tied up in a cupboard, and Gillard has him there too.
Bill Shorten, mate, let your loyalty be again to those like us,the AWU members you saved .
We are the people rank and file or just ALP voters, even those who want to vote ALP but can not.
Do it again save this time my party it too has been My lifetime one and it needs TLC.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 1:01:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This "news" arrived courtesy of a Wikileak. Apparently a cable from the US ambassador back in 2008 included the information that Bill Shorten "has prime ministerial ambitions".

The cartoon on the front page of The Australian summed it up - you don't have to buy it, just glance at it in the newsagent's pile...

Functionary (reading to Ms Gillard from a piece of paper he holds in his hand): "...and apparently Bill Shorten is quite ambitious"

Ms Gillard (for it is she): "You forgot to warn me to brace myself"

Move along. Nothing to see here.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 1:53:44 PM
Dear Noisy,

From the little I've seen of Bill Shorten
on "Q and A," he certainly seems articulate,
intelligent, an excellent communicator.
And from all appearances - ambitious.

I'm not surprised that he's a man in a hurry
to get to the top job. He was one of the guys
responsible for the demise of former PM - Kevin
Rudd (Rudd had refused to promote Shorten to a
front-bench position claiming that parliamentary
experience was essential when designating front-bench
portfolios).

Anyway, Shorten has tertiary qualifications, (Arts/Law
plus an MBA). And apparently he's also got the support
of Bob Hawke and Beazley. So, who knows what lies ahead
for him - especially with the right kind of backing.

He's married to the daughter (Chloe)
of our current Governor-General, Quentin Bryce. He was
married previously to the daughter of Liberal Senator
Beale, and grand-daughter of Sir Edward Beale ( former
Ambassador to the US).

It will be interesting to see how his career pans out.
He does seem to be a man on a mission for the top job.
And he is popular amongst the members of the Labor Party.
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 3:42:46 PM
cont'd ...

my apologies for the typo. It should read -
former Ambassador to the US - Sir Howard Beale.
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 3:47:40 PM
There would be many politicians who harbour ambitions of becoming Prime Minister. I am not sure why the newspapers are making this into a front page revelation. Andrew Robb stated his desire to be leader of the Libs on Australian Story the other night even if he thinks he may have missed the boat. Nothing surprising in any of this.

I hope the ALP does not endorse Bill Shorten but stranger things have happened.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 31 August 2011 4:39:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy