The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Should West Australia remain one big state.

Should West Australia remain one big state.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Belly, WA has some great horses, like one called CAN DO, another
called MAKE IT HAPPEN. The Eastern States nags on the track
are RIP OFF, MILKING COW and CANBERRA, who frankly should all
have been sent to the knackery some time ago. Now you enter
a new nag called LUDWIG, which is seemingly doing little but
dig holes in the track.

If you blokes have nothing but such useless nags holding up the
race, best we build our own race course.
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 28 June 2011 1:07:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hmmmm,

Matching wits with a cicilian when death is on the line

*or*

Starting a land-war in Australasia?

Anybody up for dread pirate Rogers?

Rusty
Posted by Rusty Catheter, Tuesday, 28 June 2011 6:21:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yabby, the GST issue I can understand is a hot one. I am certainly in favour of how the GST is distributed being revisited. That said in the past the West has gained more from the Federal purse than it has contributed. Its a little rich now to turn around and not want to support the other states the same way as it was once supported. If China collapses there might yet be a change in your situation (crystal ball anyone?). I get the point because NSW is also a net loser in the GST stakes and has been right from the start. However the allocation pie is a complex one, and one that is independtly advised on. Perhaps WA needs to ensure that some of the representatives on the independent review board are from WA.

As for the northern section being governed by Canberra, I would strongly advise against such foolish suggestions. They cant even run their own little territory in the south east. Dont go there!

The price of fuel, milk, bread etc is generally relative to two things - demand (how many people want a product and what alternatives they have), and supply (including cost of getting the goods there). Given that I am paying $1.60 for fuel in NSW I dont think paying $2.12 in a remote area is unreasonable. Likewise I pay >$4 for a loaf of bread - the markup is not that significant. You also get tax breaks for living in a remote area, whereas I dont (if you need more help here I can recommend a good accountant lol).
Posted by Country Gal, Tuesday, 28 June 2011 9:46:56 PM
Country Gal, you really have to live over here to see how WA
is treated as a second class citizen, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, simply the tyranny of distance. Secondly the unique
economy here. WA has always been an export focussed state, because
we have a small population. With 10% of the population we produce
half the exports. But that means we have to compete in the real
world. For decades WA had to rely on global markets, but had
to buy overpriced and highly protected inputs from the East at
huge expense. So far more money ever went your way, then came
back here.

The State covers a third of the country, so delivering services
is hugely expensive. Now alot of extra infrastructure needs building
because of new mining projects. That needs funding. We then see
how Canberra pees money up against walls and we keep sending over
more money for them to do so. Frankly we'd cope very well without
Canberra.

There was a report in the paper about a week ago, of Twiggy Forrest
challenging Swan about mining taxes. Swan seemingly replied that if
he didn't like it, WA should secede. IMHO WA should take him up on
that and shake them up a bit, for frankly we could do quite easily
without Canberra but I doubt how well they'd do with half their
export income lost.

WA deserves a better deal, but you need to live here to realise
just how much the State is shafted by Eastern politicians.
I can tell you, right now there is some bad blood over here about
the Indonesia fiasco. WA is of course most affected, along with
the NT
Posted by Yabby, Wednesday, 29 June 2011 3:13:16 AM
I thought/think the idea of Canberra running the top end stupid.
Think we should give the NT statehood while continuing to prop it up.
Like me or loath me but I find a bloke I share most values with shameful here yabby.
LOOK know, it is true, WA for a century has called us, the rest of this country, wise men from the East, with intent and scorn.
Half a century ago, a bit more, an old battered car,just having broken records driving from east to west coasts.
It tyers filled with grass after no more repairs could be made received that welcome, and the term lier's screamed at them.
It is true! startling but true! we are disliked by many maybe most.
And it sickens me.
Only WA can say what they want,current leadership says he wants to be closer to China than Canberra.
If they want to go , then defend them selves, find a name other than Australia put up boarder crossing but leave us as one country without need to insult each other.
In Wallervile QLD 45 years ago I met this syndrome, was told every NSW traveler was a lier and a thief on the run.
That gentleman was dressed in bib and brace overalls and had last washed them some years before.
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 29 June 2011 5:53:13 AM
Yabby, I have cousins that I grew up with on the farm that moved West (and farm) probably 15-20 years ago. My sister and brother-in-law also live in WA (working in mining). I visit when I can. I do have some idea of the distances and infrastructure requirements. I am off a farm, so I get your point about export markets.

However Canberra is a distinct waste of time and money for all of us, WA is not the only one to suffer from being milked then ignored. Much better that all regions apart from the coastal fringe sack Canberra methinks!

There is an issue in the cities in the east that shows a lack of understanding about the west. Had a chat with a shopowner and her assistant whilst I was dropping my sister back to the airport and just about had to pick my jaw up off the floor. The shopowner ws busy telling us that someone in her family had moved to WA and hated how isolated it was. She oculdnt remember the name of the little place they lived - thought it might have been Fremantle!! (and sadly the other things that she ws able to tell me confirmed that she got the name right). Maybe it is just us country folk that bother having a look at the map!
Posted by Country Gal, Wednesday, 29 June 2011 7:21:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy