The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Germaine Greer All Washed Up

Germaine Greer All Washed Up

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Germaine Greer, Australian born 29 January 1939, literature educated, with past careers in movies; book writing and recently a UK article writer for ‘The Guardian’ newspaper.

Germaine first created controversy with her book ‘The Female Eunuch’ that became an international best-seller in 1970, thence forth evolved into a member of women's liberation, embracing gender differences in a positive fashion.

Greer argued in her book, ‘The Female Eunuch’, that women do not realize how much men hate them, and how much they are taught to hate themselves, that the ignorance and isolation of most women meant that they are incapable of making conversation.

A book dated at the time, raised important issues along similar lines of women being outcasts from public bars/places etc where men conversed, prior to lounges for women.

This is pattern continually arises throughout Greer’s life of feminism, focusing on the continual spite through her own experiences, being excluded from male dominate discussions.

Read More... https://bretthutton.wordpress.com/2011/06/13/germaine-greer-all-washed-up/
Posted by BrettH, Monday, 13 June 2011 5:07:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Brett I thought she was washed up thirty years ago
Not against the womens movement it was needed but she did her self no favors after that book it was all down hill.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 13 June 2011 5:37:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Brett; preview you link before posting.Here it is. http://bretthutton.wordpress.com/2011/06/13/germaine-greer-all-washed-up/ I think Germaine Greer is a sad story of a woman too entranced by her own world.Being totally absorbed by an academic life makes the best of us institutionalised and divorced from the real world.

Perhaps she suffers from men envy and will never be happy with the cards she has been dealt.There are certainly bigger issues she could tackle today but her ego seems paramount.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 13 June 2011 7:08:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay>> Perhaps she suffers from men envy and will never be happy with the cards she has been dealt.<<

Just say it Arjay, Germaine has penis envy, a term us fellas never contemplated until the de eunuching of the modern gal.

But on Greers credibility, she was the product of the liberated uni campus of the 1960’s, an ideologue rather than a devotee through personal need or experience. She grew up in a middle class bay side home, went to a private school then uni and was fired up enough by her psychological castration during these trying years that she became a fire brand for womens emancipation. Her primary concern was the wearing of bras, not the glass ceiling but bras, like twiggy she was a five minute social icon. If we want to talk real liberation have a look at the words of Helen Reddy, now that is a game plan for liberation, and she is a singer songwriter not a Romantic Poetry master as is our romance deficient Germaine.

I am woman, hear me roar
In numbers too big to ignore
And I know too much to go back an' pretend
'Cause I've heard it all before
And I've been down there on the floor
No one's ever gonna keep me down again

You can bend but never break me
'Cause it only serves to make me
More determined to achieve my final goal
And I come back even stronger
Not a novice any longer
'Cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul

I am woman watch me grow
See me standing toe to toe
As I spread my lovin' arms across the land
But I'm still an embryo
With a long, long way to go
Until I make my brother understand

Oh yes, I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to
I can do anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman
Posted by sonofgloin, Monday, 13 June 2011 7:45:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You have to remember the era in which she was born and put her views in context. I disagree with the comment that Greer is shallow - she is actually quite complex. A few years ago I read Christine Wallace's biography of Greer and it helps to understand the person although Greer's own reaction to the book was:

"Greer responded to Christine Wallace's biography, Germaine Greer: The Untamed Shrew (1997), by claiming that biographies of living persons are morbid and worthless, as they can only be incomplete. She said: "I don't write about any living women... because I think that's invidious; there is no point in limiting her by the achievements of the past because she's in a completely different situation, and I figure she can break the moulds and start again." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germaine_Greer

It is not unreasonable to argue that some men do hate women and many find it difficult to accept women as equals in the sense of opportunity and old notions of 'man as the head of the household' are difficult for some to overcome. Men are as much conditioned as women and then add the biological differences.

It was not just about equality but freedom for Greer.

"Greer has defined her goal as 'women's liberation' as distinct from 'equality with men', She asserts that women's liberation meant embracing gender differences in a positive fashion, a struggle for the freedom for women to define their own values, order their own priorities and determine their own fates. In contrast, Greer sees equality as mere assimilation and "settling" to live the lives of "unfree men". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germaine_Greer

Germaine Greer is still refreshing even today. I am quite fond of those who completely disregard political correctness and are not afraid to be honest about what and why they think in a particular way even if many will disagree.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 13 June 2011 9:18:09 PM
Pelican: I disagree with the comment that Greer is shallow - she is actually quite complex.

See, nuts.

It is not unreasonable to argue that some men do hate women

& Vice versa.

"Greer has defined her goal as 'women's liberation' as distinct from 'equality with men',

Agreed, then the rest her fellow nutcases ran with "women hate men."

Greer sees equality as mere assimilation.

In the beginning... I agree. Now, she has joined the rest of the femenene nutcases.

Greer is another one of those people who uses their position to impose their cause because they think they are better than the common swill. Comment on that, "what I got banned for in a previous post."
Posted by Jayb, Tuesday, 14 June 2011 8:33:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy