The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Germaine Greer All Washed Up

Germaine Greer All Washed Up

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Houellie,

"Charles Manson was quite eccentric."

We usually reserved the term "eccentric" for those who don't always adhere to standard social convention - not for those who are totally off their nut....which, I suggest, applies to Charles Manson.
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 15 June 2011 11:06:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's very charitable, Lexi.

>>He's probably trawling for ideas on this subject<<

I think he's just trawling for visitors to his blog, so he can earn a bob or two from the Google ads.

The reason I conclude this is that he rarely re-appears. It's just a set-and-forget. I wonder how many others he uses in the same fashion.

I wouldn't even have mentioned it, except that his attack on Germanine Greer was unprompted, gratuitous and cheap.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 15 June 2011 3:52:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Pericles,

Thanks for that. Whatever his motives may have been in starting
this thread - people have responded to it - and
they seem to be enjoying it - don't you think? I've found it
interesting reading the various opinions.
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 15 June 2011 6:44:44 PM
@ Noisy Scrub Bird

I think you are being just a tad generalistic in what you have stated. Women are not always nurtures and men can be just as nuturing. True my father will say that a dad cannot replace a mother, but I think he did a pretty good job of raising 3 girls on his own. His brother is equally good with young kids, happily giving cuddles,teaching bits and pieces and changing nappies (both their sisters are nurturers as well). I had to have my dad teach me about puberty, tell me it was time to buy my first bra (although I went by myself to do that), critique my outfits, and come shopping for my wedding dress with me. No real complaints (apart from the obvious teenage rebellion).

I also disagree with inbuilt tendencies. My daughter was as happy playing wth trucks as dolls and my son loves his trucks, but is also happy raiding his sisters lipgloss. He will cart around a play handbag (usually filled with toy cars). As they get older they tend to morph more into the gender roles, based as much on what they see at school and daycare than anything else.
Posted by Country Gal, Wednesday, 15 June 2011 7:50:39 PM
I've steered clear of Germaine Greer. I haven't read her books and don't intend to. It's not that I don't like her ideas or are threatened by them (hell, I don't even really know what they are). It's just that every time she makes headlines it's because she has chosen to be vindictive about one person or another. She had nasty things to say about Michelle Obama, possibly because she (M.O.) got where she is by being married to a powerful man. I don't know Mrs Obama, and I doubt that she cares much about Ms Greer's opinion, but it seemed unnecessary and unneeded there.

On the one hand, I can see the argument that she is 'all washed up' having some merit. Like I said, she makes the headlines for her spite and little else, these days. That said, somebody is obviously paying attention to what she says, and sees her voice as valuable enough to report that spite to the world. I'm sure there's a lot more depth to her than the media lets us believe. At the end of the day, I'm just not interested enough in her to care if she is 'washed up' or not. She has made a successful living by expressing her opinions, and for that I congratulate her. Many others have tried, and had far less success than her.
Posted by Otokonoko, Wednesday, 15 June 2011 9:11:37 PM
Otokonoko

The press only reports the more controversial statements from Greer and you would have noted from reading this thread that the people who admire her accept that they do not always agree with her.

She is worthwhile reading and listening to, so it would be a shame if you were deterred from so doing as a result of a strident mainstream press.
Posted by Ammonite, Thursday, 16 June 2011 6:57:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy