The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Pat Condell. Is this person going over-board?

Pat Condell. Is this person going over-board?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Hey Runner, I know the part in the bible where Matthew repeated what Jesus apparently said:

"“Be warned: Do not show off your religion in public places, in order to be seen by others. For that there is no reward from your Father in heaven.” Matthew 6: 1-6, 16-21

Cheers,
Suze
Posted by suzeonline, Saturday, 30 April 2011 11:34:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quantumleap,

"Christians or any other religion, as NO right to tell others how and what to think and live."

But it's alright if atheists do? It's alright for people like yourself and Pat say what you want, but "just keep it off the streets/public domain."? The internet is public domain. Should we cover the front of churches and religious book shops.
Posted by StG, Sunday, 1 May 2011 9:16:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suze,

You'll never get rid of references in society to religion. I reckon atheists - coz really, these are mostly the only ones who want to rid the world of faith - just need to concentrate on the fundamentalists who infringe on EVERYONE'S right to freedom of belief and not getting it shoved down their throats by the nutters.

Or ... here's a crazy idea ... maybe stop immersing yourself (not you specifically, but those with weird s*&t going on in their head about how faith - on the whole - is too much for them) in internet religious issues and it won't seem as bad. Because I've NEVER had anyone pin me against a wall and infringe on my right to be left the @#$% alone in public. Nothing I can't deal with, anyway. Damn Greenpeace.
Posted by StG, Sunday, 1 May 2011 9:46:41 AM
Quantum- As I was actually averaging when I said he was making an exaggerated case in some cases as an overall reflection of Christians and Muslims in the west (who are mostly non-practicing or at worst moderate).
Having said that his expectations go way short of how far runner can go.
His points about how religion interferes with society and should not are spot on.

StG- much in the same way a person demanding somebody else wear clothes in public, or doesn't start inappropriately touching people in public, is imposing their will on a person who would rather walk outside naked and start touching them?

I would assume he means he does not want religious displays outside temple grounds; such as wearing burqas in public, Muslims blocking off streets to pray (like in France) or World Youth Day. And by further extension, does not want religious lobbyists chiming in on policy affecting others such as abortion and euthanasia (not to mention censorship), and wants religious people's beliefs to be held secondary to things like Freedom of Speech (the Muhammad Cartoons)
As far as those go, I would have to agree.
Or more specifically, only unless everyone else in that town/city/country is fine with it.
Posted by King Hazza, Sunday, 1 May 2011 9:48:43 AM
Well said King Hazza :)

Religion should be kept out of politics and state schools.

I will go one step further and say I actually totally AGREE with the sentiments of Mr. Condell.

He is definitely not going over-board.
Posted by suzeonline, Sunday, 1 May 2011 9:55:09 AM
Being a Christian I agree church and state should be separate, although everyone having a voice in the way a state is run is a god given right - so to speak - and that should include people of faith. It's up to the state AND the people's right to vote for referendums/da(?) to change the constitution. Everyone gets that vote.

I wouldn't have a problem with churches having some sort of display somewhere, as much as I don't have issue with atheists or Greenpeace doing the same. If you're not interested, walk past.

As with Pat Condell, I have issue with ANY one groups excessive influence over government. Curious why people choose faith to target and not the real enemy of your rights, and that's big business. Capitalism and true democracy is like oil and water.

Don't think I'M gonna touch this one:

"...is imposing their will on a person who would rather walk outside naked and start touching them?"

As far as I know allowing people to come up to you have a discussion of faith in the street isn't a crime. Sure, spruiking your stuff in public can be but long may it live that we can discuss theology and ideology in public. What you gonna do if we can't; gas us in chambers?
Posted by StG, Sunday, 1 May 2011 11:34:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy