The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Organ donation. Opt in or opt out?

Organ donation. Opt in or opt out?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All
I dont know the answer. Maybe celiva had it when she suggested more advertising. I only know the Medi Care card is highly misused for things such as ID and free drs. Its not unusual for one card to be used by 6 different people. PR is something we need to watch as well
I think Rex has a point but i will be hanged if i can see how its to be set up without being misused
Good Luck for such a worthy cause but never push people. its just wrong.
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Saturday, 3 March 2007 4:46:51 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"I think Rex has a point but i will be hanged if i can see how its to be set up without being misused"

First of all check out what happens with the countries which use a successful "opt out" system. I think Spain is one of them. If they can do it, then why can't we? And we don't need to send political/bureaucratic deputations on taxpayer funded holidays either, in order to find out what's going on. All we need to do is ask and then sensibly assess the answers. Is that too hard for us to do?
Posted by Rex, Sunday, 4 March 2007 1:28:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No Rex, it doesn’t sound too hard to do at all, thanks to our advanced communication systems of today.

I asked my mum (in Holland) how organ donations are organised over there. Apparently everybody over 18 (and under 18 only on request) receives a form to fill in to register Yes or No and you’ll get to choose whether you want to donate all of your organs and tissues or you can pick from a list (e.g. they can have your eyes but not your liver).
These forms are processed and filed into a safe computer system which only doctors have access to. So every deceased person’s file can be instantly checked on this system.

Wendy, I agree that there is room for fraud. But I think that the more organs are available, the less incidents of corruption there will be.

A shortage of something will always cause a black market and corruption.
Look what happened years ago when the US made alcohol illegal. It didn’t last for long because the black market was booming. I don't know who's dumb idea that was but it waw a laugh.
Same with drugs. If the government doesn’t regulate it, then gangs like the mafia will regulate it.

So I’d say organ donation must remain a free choice- but an opt out system or a system where everyone has to tick either a Yes or No box will be more beneficial than the system we have now. Many people do not mind donating their organs but just ‘never get around’ to registering to be an organ donation.

And yes, here in NSW as I said, our driver’s license indicates whether you’re an organ donor or not.

“I will be hanged if I can see how it’s to be set up without being misused”
I hope you won’t be hanged before you’ve made your decision either way :+)
Posted by Celivia, Sunday, 4 March 2007 3:28:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oops I made a mistake out of habit: I meant to say Antje, not Wendy. Perhaps we should address you as PALE.
Sorry!
Posted by Celivia, Sunday, 4 March 2007 3:30:34 PM
Yes, Celivia, it does say that on NSW licences but it has no standing in law, if the Donor's next-of-kin don't approve.
All that is needed to solve the problem is to make the permission that was given, by the donor when the licence application was made, legally binding.
After all it was her/his wish and should have standing in law.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 4 March 2007 4:06:26 PM
I can buy a dodgey licence for five hundred bucks.
Any better ideas anybody. Dont try a medi care card.
All suggestions or any. You cant except that we just cant make sure somebody is not let go[ All for a good cause? Oh of course Drs are never corrupt. Ok Ok Then make the next of kin sign the form as well. At least there might be a inderpendant witness.

Ceilvia Its ok Call me what ever Its fine
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Sunday, 4 March 2007 4:50:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy