The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > World Cup embarrassment

World Cup embarrassment

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I've just had a look at the video that was created as part of Australia's bid to host the FIFA World Cup in 2022. (That's soccer, by the way).

I know, it is only a sports event, but that's not particularly relevant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDf18N8jJGs

How can we be taken seriously when this is our self-image?
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 2 December 2010 4:03:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That is truly cringeworthy.

The animated roo looks like Scooby Doo.

As for the rest... the best that can be
said is that we'll be spared the nightmare
of hosting the World Cup.
Posted by talisman, Thursday, 2 December 2010 10:39:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You are right Pericles- a truly cheesy video offering from our country, trying to secure the World Cup.

I doubt that dreadful clip would bring any plain old tourist here, let alone encourage anyone to hold a world class soccer event here!

Paul Hogan looks as if he has had his whole facial skin pulled as tight as a balloon across his skull!

The kangaroo character looks like the one out of the cartoon 'Blinky Bill', that even Aussie kids thought was a lame show.

How embarrassing.
Posted by suzeonline, Friday, 3 December 2010 1:34:58 AM
Come now, you did not think we had any chance at any time did you?
We are too far away and it was never on.
But lets not rubbish the presentation, all types of cartoon type animals play a roll in such and over all while we may want a Kangaroo to look different the world may not care.
Apart from distance the system was against us, we never had the deals others did, or the cash to throw about.
Paul, a Granville drinking mate in another life is now and old man with more botox and plastic surgery than Joan Rivers, along with an American accent he did well to stand up.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 3 December 2010 3:59:18 AM
We certainly need to stop thinking that the rest of the world think we are amazing folk with these cute little roo's for fun. They don't.
Truth is we are a football back water with little to no chance of growing the game much beyond it's current level. To have given us the cup would have made as much sense as awarding the cricket world cup to Argentina. Never mind time zones and media rights, they were the last nails in the coffin.
Our presentation was typically corny and cleshay just as the USA's was the typical god loves the great country BS that they always put forward. Australians need to take a good look at who we are and what we stand for before trying to kid the world we are just innocent fun loving peoples
Posted by nairbe, Friday, 3 December 2010 5:45:56 AM
I agree it was a bad marketing strategy. They should have targeted their audience (so to speak) more professionally, and not aimed for the type of humour that would only at best be understood locally - It makes you wonder how serious the bid was intended to be? Having said all of that though - I did laugh out loud when I first saw it on TV.
Posted by Lexi, Friday, 3 December 2010 6:17:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy