The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > NBN Fibre Broadband Network

NBN Fibre Broadband Network

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Shadow Minister, The figures are this, 43 Billion and no more, NBN supplies the equipment for business and households, out of cable profits and with my suggestive way of approach should be laying between towns per day.. order Digger, Cable Truck, Concreter (non heated) following each other.

Additional discussion part:

With the new installation over the country, once done can be connected to existing and new sea connections connecting islands and other mainlands as being done in the world already.

With NBN being the wholesaler means owning the cable rather than Telstra the past norm when it came to exchange and nod cabling and/or additional equipment.

Kevin Morgan in wonderland feels that installation cost to the households pocket in connecting to the house should be under $10 dollars; Kevin more like $99 - $200 with equipment, labour and components within and external to the premises.

He also states on public broadcast, there’s no room in current tunnels with existing cooper cabling; wrong again! Only connections take room and not much on mainland, being hair strain size a basic cable found in the household is as big as it gets.

Lastly he quoted ‘Not used in the rest of the world’ Do your homework before commenting Kevin Morgan you are behind the times its being laid in and around a number of countries.

It obvious that to do this we have to install it all the way to the premises for full benefit, rather than to the jumper exchange and adapting it to our current exchange server boxes.

The Problem; Senator Stephen Conroy Minister of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy project is not the layout of cabling, it’s the nods and equipment outside and within the household.
Posted by BrettH, Sunday, 31 October 2010 6:02:26 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
hi belly; have a guess what oil is mainly used for

good, thats right transport

and what will high speed internet do?

how about (a) make business trips redundant

(b) holograms

(c) virtual meeting rooms

we are hitting the limits to growth and we will need to prepare for dramatic and possibly painful decisions

we have entered the transition phase
Posted by kiwichick, Sunday, 31 October 2010 6:40:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,
sorry you felt so offended. I was trying to point out to you that there is no need to dispair as you seem to do when an election is nearing. the current trend in the electorate is to distrust the major parties and considering the direction they have led use over the past 30 years that is understandable. You think me a green voter, ok think what you like but you are way off, i just prefer to allow all parties to air their true opinions and the greens do that well. What they say might be a worry but at least it's the truth.

Shadow Minister,
Wow now thats some techno babble BS. So what about cat5 and 6 copper. Then the single mode optic, man ground breaking. The NBN is not a tech park or high rise network it covers the country. One of your main complaints is that we just don't need it. That might at this point in time hold much relevance, but the NBN is not an investment in the next 10 years it is a generational investment. With what is clearly a very good knowledge of IT you are pushing a very short sighted vision of the needs of a country as aposed to a corporation. You constantly offer a narrow conservative view of all things, which is your right but non the less boring. Can you not understand other points of view on the world? I refer to what i said earlier, Government is there to serve all it's people equally not just the high density population zones. A country like Australia that involves great distances and sparse population, the bad news is that equality in infrastructure will always mean the cost benefit analysis will be bad. If we could not see through this then we would never have put the power on to that 30% of very remote Australians that enjoy it, nor would the PMG have given them the telephone. All these projects were just as expensive and unnecessary as the NBN but we don't question them now.
Posted by nairbe, Sunday, 31 October 2010 8:04:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nairbe no offense taken,I run on passion ,and hopefully truth.
Right now my party needs both.
Kwickchick ,welcome, sorry your point is now clear I agree.
BretH you have understanding, and obviously SM has technical knowledge BUT.
See SM lets personal politics, conservative ones, rule always.
He very often, charges others with? having opinions not evidence.
He has totally failed to be open to anything Labor has put forward.
Over a long time here his threads and posts give evidence that can not be defended.
I TRULY have thought him to be, Christopher Pyne, Bronwyn Bishop, and others who taint a once proud party with a barge in and do not worry about truth style.
WHY? read his post history look for a way you can not think of him as such.
I have not won gold stars in my battles with the bloke, tried for balance the whole list of attempts was time wasting.
Great posters Foxy for a start appear to have left,I did for a while, but the answer the real defense to Shadow Minister is not to fail to understand he not me as he charges is totally free of balance and fairness.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 1 November 2010 5:38:39 AM
Speaking for myself, I'd much rather see a fibre backhaul link between major centres and available for connection to businesses and homes at a premium, with wireless technologies, such as the 3G broadband I'm using to access the site as I write, this providing the majority of home or business connections.

I'm not sure of the cost savings, but I suspect it would save at least half the $43 billion and provide more than adequate service.
Posted by Antiseptic, Monday, 1 November 2010 5:50:05 AM
Nairbe and belly,

I am not simply trying to flaunt my IT credentials, what I am trying to show is that businesses that are building networks today that are designed to meet requirements for the next 20+ years (beyond 20 years is considered unforeseeable), and while fiber is used, it is only a small part of the solution.

In simple terms, the fiber can be compared to a concrete freeway. We have a problem with the farm roads, but no one in right mind would suggest concrete freeways to every farm house, or even in suburbia.

I receive internet via the foxtel cable, and a speed test over the weekend reached 20Mb/s. In the cities most homes are connected via Telstra's coax (foxtel) network, and is capable of reaching nearly 50% of Australia's household. The NBN is going buy this network and shut it down.

When no one can come up with a single function that requires more than 20Mb/s what benefit is there in replacing it now?

BrettH, considering that in every aspect the NBN is costing more than in the $43bn plan, you optimism that the cost won't exceed $43bn is extremely optimistic.

My political bias aside, the facts speak for themselves.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 1 November 2010 9:07:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy