The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Racism - the type that is a problem.

Racism - the type that is a problem.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Jolanda I have been accused of racism by a student who said you have given XXXX a high mark, my work is a similar standard why don't I get the same mark. [The astute reader will detect a semi confession of collaboration or plagarism] The passage of time has revealed the truth - which was - the complainant was a good student and her friend was actually an outstanding student.

I have never determined whether the complainant genuinely believed she was equal to her friend or whether she was haggling.
Posted by billie, Tuesday, 6 February 2007 8:18:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
billie. The passage of time could also say that they were both good students but one was more highly regarded by the teacher and as a result was more successful.

An astute reader can detect an attitude similar to the one that I spoke to above in my post.
Posted by Jolanda, Tuesday, 6 February 2007 8:26:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jolanda... the facts are that the quasi-religious far right and associated zealots have chosen those of "Middle Eastern" appearance(s) to target...is that so unlike the "South East Asian" groups vilified in the early 1970's ?

Because it is so much easier to 'other' group/nationality/race/creed or whatever, than it is to actually investigate the truths, this is why the media, and public perception goes down this sad little track of history's laneway. Too difficult to see the other persons side of the story. Let's just take the media pill of 'truth' and swallow it night after night at 6.30 PM.

Sure there is always, always, almost every time a certain element of any ethnic group that will have persons who identify with that group who will not be the most savoury - that is not just peculiar to say Lebanese Moslems, Serbians, Chinese gangs or Bundy Rum swilling Yobbo Ockers for what it is worth.

What apparently is being missed in all of these emotive charged Cronulla type situations, is the avoidance of the underlying social problems that large cities, their lack of empathy of fellow beings through close proximity of many groups causes.

I believe the media was in a larger degree responsible for fanning the flames of discontent - simply because it would drum up ratings and readerships/viewings.

We saw earlier in our collective history a similar phenomena at Eureka in 1854. The White Australia Policy. Chinese and other ethnic miners were initially the targets, the Crown being held accountable through the lease fees and Miners licensing, which was skillfully manipulated into the rallying call to arms. Many choose to forget the facts that Poles, Russians, Serbs, Jews, escaped Black African slaves, and many other ethinic groups were represented in the events of Ballarat.

Skillful use of media, public perceptions and prejudices were the order of the day - a practice still in vogue today. The White Australia Policy is being reborn again, with its jingoistic call to arms of a Christian Jihaad carried out in the name of protecting our "way of life". Which is what exactly...?
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Tuesday, 6 February 2007 8:50:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ted Bundy the serial killer had a very high IQ number. A high IQ doesnt guarantee emotional stability or the ability to solve problems using common sense.

A person with a high IQ can be just as wrong in what they think is the truth as a person without a high IQ.
Posted by sharkfin, Thursday, 8 February 2007 10:19:14 PM
sharkfin. What are you trying to say by mentioning a serial killer with a high IQ in this thread. Is this another attitude form of prejudice, vilification and discrimination?

Killers can come in all shapes and sizes, nationalities, religions and levels of IQ - So what! That doesn't mean that you discount every person and treat them all with less respect and regard than you would treat those that are the criminals.

Funny how those that are accused of criminal activity or wrong doing are always, not only immediately given the benefit of the doubt, they are supported and protected whilst the rest of the public and those that whistleblow and/or complain are crucified.

Maybe it might be that I have been around alot of High IQ but that just doesn't seem right to me.
Posted by Jolanda, Friday, 9 February 2007 7:12:08 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yolanda,

I would think my statement was the opposite of predudice towards one group being better than another; by pointing out that having a high IQ does not automatically make this group any better human beings than any other group.
Posted by sharkfin, Sunday, 11 February 2007 2:30:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy