The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Baby gloomers

Baby gloomers

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
By 1964 Ludwig my family had all come 16 ,well dad may have got around a bit but that was our mob,8 lived to grow.
Still sure 59 was not baby boom year but maybe it was for slow starters.
Life is just great believe me you become different people as you get down the track.
Ten years ago my weekends found me high in the mountains or beside a creek, maybe on the beach.
Now? health not great but not dead yet I put in long days at work and answer to no one on week ends would not be dead for quids.
15 months from giving work away, that is past retirement, and back to the bush and beach, garden too.
OLO as well
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 12 September 2010 7:03:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don't be gloomy Ludwig.

Remember when you were young. Isn't it much better being older and not having any of those ridiculous hangups and inadequacies of youth. We continue to learn new things even as we get older.

Many baby gloomers are worried about retirement. We did not have the superannuation entitlements of the later generations until well into working life (well many of us didn't) and if you took time out to raise kids there goes another ten years. It is amazing how much you can do with less if you have to and still have fun. Not everything worth doing costs money.
:)
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 12 September 2010 11:00:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with Pelican....."We did not have the superannuation entitlements of the later generations until well into working life (well many of us didn't)"

I get so sick and tired of younger people who speak without knowing/thinking when they say such things as 'Baby-boomers only have themselves to blame for a poor retirement outcome because they failed to save for their future, prefering to rely on the pension instead.'

Many so called baby-boomers grew up in an Australia that had a large manufacturing base consisting mostly of low paying jobs that provided little hope of saving anything for the future. There wasn't a bank on every corner like today, so bank manager positions were scarce. Same with solicitors and other well paying positions. Most of us grew up expecting to move from school into a low paying job and lucky to have it. The next 6 years was spent learning to live on just $15-$20 a week. Then came marriage, children and the great Aussie dream of owning your own piece of Eden, followed by divorce and a struggle to survive before the days of child support where each day was spent just trying to keep a roof over our heads, food on the table and clothes on our backs.

The next 16 years were spent in a factory enduring freezing cold winters with no heating to speak of and stinking hot summers near an iron wall with no cooling except an open door where life threatening dust constantly blew in, so ten years ago and with failing health, I went back to school and re-educated myself and today I work in a professional area with much better job satisfaction. The kids grew up ok too and now I have a lovely batch of beautiful grand children to carry the family flag into a vastly unknown future of rapidly diminishing resources.
Posted by Aime, Monday, 13 September 2010 12:20:41 PM
With just three and a half years before I turn 60, I'm contemplating retirement and am saving hard to get enough money together to live out the rest of my life on as little as $200 a week. Am I happy? Grumpy? Content? Restless? Satisfied? You bet! All of the latter and sometimes in spades, but I'm also aware that all in all, I've had a charmed life simply because I'm still here. Many of my old factory friends are no longer "above ground" as Foxy mentioned.

So, as I march towards retirement and eventually the grave, I look back on my life and see it sometimes wasted, sometimes rewarded, but overall, productive. I was, am and always will be simply a grain of sand on a very large beach and a tiny grain of sand may not ever be recognised for anything of significance, yet that grain of sand knows that it did serve a purpose after all.....it helped support all the other grains of sand that makes up the beach that is a part of a very beautiful world!
Posted by Aime, Monday, 13 September 2010 12:21:12 PM
<< Remember when you were young >>

Only vaguely, Pelican! ( :<|

<< Isn't it much better being older and not having any of those ridiculous hangups and inadequacies of youth. >>

Hmmmm, let me think about it...

Well, it certainly is better to have got over some really foul hangups I had in my yooth! But to be a whole lot older – not so sure ‘bout that!

Anyway, it is late in the evening and time for a little relaxxxing music from my yoooth bfor beddybyes…..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTvzzgk_jEY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeRa3RtBiIU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMLnDuzgkjo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYscpjfxCaU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1iR2Wi3u5o
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 13 September 2010 10:03:51 PM
Aime, when I was 17, about a million years ago, my wage was $32 a fortnight. And the job was considered a really good job. Out of that came $10 board, which left $22 a fortnight to live on.
Posted by petej, Tuesday, 14 September 2010 4:06:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy