The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Baby gloomers

Baby gloomers

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I’m feeling gloomy! But it is such a lovely sunny north Queensland spring day. I’m fit, healthy, got a good job, nice house…. so what’s the problem?

Ahhhh, I’m worried about work issues, aging parents, a poverty-stricken retirement…..

Well, apparently I’m not the only 50-odd year old who feels like this. In fact we baby boomers (age 45 to 54) are apparently a pretty gloomy lot. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/7978474/The-Baby-Gloomers.html

We are longing to retire or retreat to something entirely different, to have a sea-change or tree-change or something…. anything….. just as long as it is different and more relaxing than what we’ve got!

I’m very strongly thinking about retiring at 55 and just giving up on developing my career any further than its current respectable but modest level.

Anyway, things apparently start to get better once we reach late middle age, that is; beyond about 54. Man, am I looking forward to that!

Just one small problem: the next GFC, which will be vastly bigger than the last one, in combination with various other things; peak oil, population growth pressures, etc, are going to hit us in about 2012, or so a lot of people believe.

So um, who’s happy in their middle years, or happier in their older years than they used to be, or happy in their younger years and wondering how long it will last?
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 11 September 2010 1:47:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well am in my mid 40's and have to say it just keeps getting better. Don't have the confusion of youth or the need to prove to everyone how good i am. I am comfortable with my life though am back trying to buy a home again after loosing much in the divorce.
Have already made that Tree change and am spoiled with good friends a great life that isn't consumer based and a sense of well being.
Yep life's great and just keeps getting better as i get older. OH! except the news that Peter Garrett was given education, now i am in fear for my kid's futures.
Posted by nairbe, Saturday, 11 September 2010 4:24:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A new Labor policy has just been announced today.

Pink bats in every school.

Cool!
Posted by petej, Saturday, 11 September 2010 4:30:39 PM
Dear Ludwig,

Well, I'm eighteen, (with twenty seven years
experience). Seriously, as my mother who's
in her eighties tells me, "Any day above
ground is a good day!"

I've got a job that I absolutely love, a
husband who's capable of loving fully, with
all of his heart, who's the most vital,
playful, joyful human being, with an energetic
life force born of a strong family upbringing.
He makes every day a new day. Our children
flourished under his nurturing. His honesty,
devotion, and unconditional love bound us
together in an inseparable state of familial
bliss that has been unshaken to this day.

Does it get any better than this?

I count my blessings every day!
(Except on the days when life sucks -
just joking). ;-)
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 11 September 2010 4:49:59 PM
Foxy, can I have him for a year or two? He sounds good enough to turn gay for. I'd have to get my wife's approval first though.
Posted by petej, Saturday, 11 September 2010 5:01:50 PM
cont'd ...

I've got a story to share that could
be a future scenario - you never
know (although I hope not), anyway,
here goes:

On their 50th Anniversary, a wife found the
negligee she wore on her wedding night and
put it on. She went to her husband, a retired
military man, and asked,
"Honey do you remember this?"

He looked up from his newspaper and said,
"Yes dear, I do. You wore that same negligee
the night we were married."

She said, "Yes, that's right. Do you remember
what you said to me that night?"

He nodded, and said, "Yes dear, I said,
Oh baby, I'm going to suck the life out
of those boobs and shag your brains out!"

She giggled and said, "So now its 50 years later,
and I'm in the same negligee, what do you have to
say tonight?"

He looked her up and down and said,

"Mission Accomplished!"
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 11 September 2010 5:05:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy