The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Gen Y women earning up to 17% more than Gen Y males in most US cities

Gen Y women earning up to 17% more than Gen Y males in most US cities

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 24
  7. 25
  8. 26
  9. Page 27
  10. 28
  11. 29
  12. All
Anti
It is too early, on the basis of one example, to accept this statistic as the beginning of a trend. A trend relies on more data over a longer period of time than just a first occurrence.

Do you really think wages will ever be perfectly equal over a period of time over all age groups? There will be fluctuations and I reckon 17% is not a bad differential given that this will ebb and flow depending on other variables like when apprenticeships finish and those boys start earning more than their female counterpart retail workers.

We live in a world of lobby groups and causes, and should it later be identified as a trend you can be assured there will be a movement to correct it or to shed light on the inequality.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 13 September 2010 5:17:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Houellebecq you got caught out, and won't admit it, so maybe it's just best for you to move on and ignore petej posts from now on.

Petej I think now that you've made your point, as is your right, you should drop it. I agree with what you say, but maybe it's best not to continue with it as the point is well made.
Posted by Johnny30, Monday, 13 September 2010 5:19:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Context. Look it up.

BTW: Again you quote '"this is about what we are biologically optomised to do"'

Not even my words.

In fact, I was criticising that very quote.

Which shows you are not at all serious, seeing as how you have ignored this, and you have also deliberately taken words out of context that I have re-explained and shown back in their context.

'Other people can read the quotes, and go back for context reference if they wish.'

One can only hope.

'That's a fact'
No, its your opinion.
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 13 September 2010 5:21:33 PM
Pelican I think you're right. There will always be lobby groups who fight to correct specific injustices, and there will always be lobby groups who oppose them.

I love reading the 4 or 5 strong men's lobby here, keeping in mind most men don't share their views. The reason I love reading their stuff is they can't stand it when even a small demographic of women move even 1% ahead of men on some statistic. They then constantly whinge about how horrible things are for men and how men are being undermined by women, or more specifically 'feminism', which they obviously hate. They totally genderise the argument. Their posts can sometimes be very funny to read.

But as you know, gender equality is pretty much impossible, because of all the variables and the countless millions of people involved. At any given time, in any given area, one gender will score over 50% and the other gender will score under 50%. I think what one should aim for is relative 50/50 equality over a broad base. I think that's about as good as it'll ever get.
Posted by Johnny30, Monday, 13 September 2010 5:36:41 PM
Houellebecq, while you may pick out one or two mistakes in petej's quoting of you, the fact remains he had a good point, and showed pretty accurately where you are coming from philosophically. If anyone doubts that, I'd advise them to read all of your posts on the topic here in total. It's obvious he's got it right.

You got caught out, you made your responses. You've both expressed your opinions.

Move on.
Posted by Johnny30, Monday, 13 September 2010 5:47:39 PM
Your analysis is pretty much on the mark JohnnyRotten. I think it was Grim who wisely said something along the lines of just because we are all equal doesn't necessarily mean we will always be equal. I have misquoted but couldn't find the right thread to quote him exactly.

The best we can hope for is pretty much what we have now with some minor improvements along the way.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 13 September 2010 6:38:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 24
  7. 25
  8. 26
  9. Page 27
  10. 28
  11. 29
  12. All