The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Gen Y women earning up to 17% more than Gen Y males in most US cities

Gen Y women earning up to 17% more than Gen Y males in most US cities

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 27
  9. 28
  10. 29
  11. All
Good. Its about time they started carrying more of the can, considering how much they take from it.
Posted by hm2, Saturday, 4 September 2010 2:00:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Antiseptic, it is not my maths we were discussing, but that of the mainly male employees of the Australian Council of Trade Unions.
But hey, they could be wrong?

As for your usual personal jibes against my profession of nursing (because they are predominantly female I assume?), we have gender equality with wages in the public health system, but not the private system.

How do I know this? Because my husband is an accountant in the private health system, and he knows exactly how much the employees make.
But hey, you could know better of course?
Posted by suzeonline, Saturday, 4 September 2010 2:33:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suzeonline:"my husband is an accountant in the private health system"

Oh,in that case, we needn't discuss the subject at all.If your hubby said so, that's the ernd of the matter...

The reason your maths are wrong, hon (ask your husband to explain the complicated stuff, won't you) is that the article was about the relative earning capacity of a well-educated group of women working in cities. It didn;t consider the non-earning of some women who are supported by their husbands or the State, whereas the usual statistic, such as the one you quoted, adds up all the income earnt by women,including the ones who don't work and then divides by the total number of women,pretending all the while that this means something tothe women in work, who all earn the same as the men alongside them doing the same job.

I'm sure your hubby will understand my point and explain to you that conflating ing two different and incompatible data sets is not sound practice and does not yield useful relationships.

It's a bit like including social workers in the set of productive people: despite the inclusion of the word "worker", there's no evidence of productivity and hence,no useful conclusions to be drawn.

Never mind, at least you've still got doctors to understand the hard stuff, eh?
Posted by Antiseptic, Saturday, 4 September 2010 7:03:07 PM
Dear Antiseptic,

If you would only google the ABS, or the
Australian Year Book, the statistics
speak for themselves:

http://www.Abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@nsf/21762195845417aeca25706c00834efa/0796FAC7CDEEA67ICA2573D200I0F2D

They make it quite clear that men earn more than women
in this country. As does a news report (ABC News) that
shows Australian men earn $1 million more on average
than women over their working lives.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 4 September 2010 8:04:11 PM
cont'd ...

My apologies I stuffed up the website
that I cited in my previous post. However,
if you google:

1301.0 Year Book Australia, 2008 - Earnings.

Its the first website that comes up, and gives
all the stats.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 4 September 2010 9:09:34 PM
*In any case TRUTHNOW78, if these women in the US are making more than men in the same job, more power to them!*

Err Suze, so why doesen't the same principle apply to men?

If women earn less then men, perhaps they are just lacking
in negotiating skills. Perhaps they are simply less assured.
So why blame men for this?

As we can see by your post, as long as girls are winning,
you are content with the world. Ok, so you are biased.
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 4 September 2010 9:43:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 27
  9. 28
  10. 29
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy