The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Ideology/theology and Government, god help us.

Ideology/theology and Government, god help us.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Dear TBC,

It's funny that you should mention these things about Gillard. I got exactly the same impression, which is why I felt that the value of my house of reps vote had been annulled even before the election. I'm in a safe Liberal seat but I think I'll vote for the Greens in both houses.

I wonder what a wise and inspiring leader would look like.
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 19 August 2010 2:30:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear thinker 2,

My husband informed me this morning that
he heard on the news that some of the
Liberal funding programs may be financed
out of the current Pharmaceutical scheme.
I hope hubbie misheard because that will
greatly affect my two mothers and all
the retired people currently on pensions.
And others, whose medicines may fall under
that scheme.

God help us indeed if Tony Abbott and Co., get in.
They keep telling us that they're going to slash
government spending, at what cost and to whom?

I am tired of the lacklustre campaign that we've
seen from both parties. Its key players have been
determined to say nothing, do nothing, and promise
nothing that would frighten voters and make them
embrace a political rival. It's no wonder that many
voters feel no connection with the sterile pronouncements
and rhetoric.

What's worse for me - I live in a safe Liberal seat,
where the candidate has made no compelling case as to
why he should be elected. But he's not the only one.
We've not heard from any of the other candidates either.
That's truly amazing because the reality is that on
Saturday voters will make a decision that's based on
what's good for them and their family. If local
candidates haven't made a compelling case to be elected,
then they've certainly failed in their jobs. The ballot
box verdict is final.

The outlook is glum!
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 19 August 2010 3:18:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Foxy,

I'm in a safe Liberal seat also. the Liberal candidate has deluged our mailboxes with glossy pamphlets and we've only had one flimsy flyer from Labor (who's name I can never remember) - not that I'm impressed by either party. It's interesting, however, to be in a safe seat that one major party basically gives up on, as you end up feeling as if your voting choice is all but voided.
Oh, the agony choice between an uninspiring "collusion of pollies" ( bit like a "murder of crows" or a "nightmare of ravens")

I dug out a quote I once used in a letter to the editor on the Coalition of the Willing. Francis Bacon put it most succinctly when he wrote, "Nothing doth more hurt in a state that when cunning men pass for wise".
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 19 August 2010 3:33:36 PM
Poirot and Foxy... 'snap' on the safe Liberal seat.

Hopeless eh?

But just as galling in a safe Nat or ALP I have no doubt.

Which is why we need a Tassie system with multi-member electorates, although I am not so certain that that induces 'wisdom' to rise to the surface, but at least it allows for greater variety to have a chance to get up.

As Squeers has said before, somewhere, these goons reflect the public they deal with, so are we not our own worst enemies?

As for 'wise leaders'... some of us recall Joh being touted as that, as was Menzies, Chifley and many others, even Howard more recently... but what is really needed is 'wise electors'... and that seems unlikely to happen within a democracy such as ours, with its driving 'values' of consumerism and individualism.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Thursday, 19 August 2010 3:49:16 PM
Imagine a US president refusing to live in the Whitehouse.

Abbott may follow Howard's lead and stay in Sydney if elected.

"THERE are growing signs Tony Abbott might follow the lead of his political mentor John Howard and decide to live in Sydney if he's elected PM.

Mr Abbott yesterday refused to rule out basing himself at Kirribilli House if he wins on Saturday.

And he refused to give any guarantees to Australians who live outside of Sydney that he would live at The Lodge."

Nuff said.
Posted by Johnny Rotten, Thursday, 19 August 2010 5:14:33 PM
I can't understand anyone who is interested in the future of our country voting green in the upper house. That is a simply a recipe for bad government, no matter who gets in to government.

If you have a party whom you favor, give them the chance to implement their policies, by giving them control of both houses.

This last government has been bleating, continually about obstruction in the upper house, but that is a bit of pot, kettle & shades of black thing. They were probably worse, when they were able.

Regardless, if you think Gillard is capable of being PM, give her the chance to govern.

I hate the idea, but I would much rather that than she "sort of governed" controlled by a bunch of minor ratbags, be that they Green, Democrat, Independent, or worse, A mixture of the above.

Get real. Vote for a government, & then give them a go. If they stuff up, all on their own, then chuck them out next time. If you make it impossible to govern, by having the upper house second guess all their legislation, don't blame them if you get stupid decisions.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 19 August 2010 5:23:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy