The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Big Day Out and Unfashionable Flags

The Big Day Out and Unfashionable Flags

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
Thought this might make for a good discussion:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ban-big-day-out-not-flag/2007/01/22/1169330794734.html

What do people think? I think fears of racial violence are not unfounded, given the relative recency of Cronulla etc. That and Invasion Day's just around the corner...

Course the main thing for me is that flags aren't very cool - people wearing them look like some weird patriotic superman who cant fly. Capes are lame everyone. Especially ones with gaudish colour schemes...plain black might look a little less stupid. Or perhaps a simple message like "I'm bringing capes back" written on there might help. Careful with it in the big crowds though...its generally best to wear something more practical to the big day out.
Posted by spendocrat, Monday, 22 January 2007 11:59:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Its Australia day spendocrat!

There is nothing wrong with bring aussie flags to an event. For the life of me I cant understand who would be insulted or feel threatened by the sight of an Australian flag! And if someone is insulted what the hell are they doing in Australia in the first place!
Posted by EasyTimes, Monday, 22 January 2007 2:23:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm not insulted. Just get that thing out of my way, I'm trying to watch the band here. It's a music festival.

I just thought it was quite a laughable issue, politicians jumping on it straight away for point scoring.

Piece of cloth.
Posted by spendocrat, Monday, 22 January 2007 2:34:08 PM
Regrettably, "rag waving" is an all too often abused tool of propaganda in todays "Whacky Races" & my personal view is that we need demonstrations of Global Unity, NOT nationalism.
In defiance of their own law, those who 1st arrived here on "Invasion Day" refused a Treaty,
coz they didn't want 2 share Oz, &
declined a "Declaration of War,"
most likley coz slaughtering another bunch of locals wouldn't have proved popular with the good folk back home and instead,
came up with more pseudo science (which they still do today as in the U235EWM/Global Warming debates) & classified the *Original People* as animals, and thus part of the "Flora&Fauna Act."
Subsequently, in designated lawless areas of Oz as it was in those days, they carried out wholesale slaughter, rape, pillage & enslavement with impunity.
My view, cut that "Jack the Ripper" out of the corner of our flag & keep it off the media period. It is an insult to all that is "Good&Decent."

...Adam...
Posted by AJLeBreton, Monday, 22 January 2007 3:46:21 PM
spendocrat,

True.

There should be no flags. and..

Australian cricketers/athletes should play naked (or preferably in Pakistan colors.)

Finally we should abolish Australia Day but celebrate Arabia Day.
Posted by obozo, Monday, 22 January 2007 4:22:54 PM
Looking at spendocrat's attitude,we should all wave the white flag and have a no borders policy along with no values,no laws,no wealth and wallow in his nerva of left wing anarachy.

The Muslims politicised the flag when they tore it from my son's head in the form of a cap, two years ago and proceeded to bash him and his friends for being nothing other than being Australian.

We are at war with ourselves for the first time in over 200yrs.Looking at past track records in the Middle East,it will not end well.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 22 January 2007 7:59:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy