The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Selfish

Selfish

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. All
Pericles says: >> It is about recognizing that we have inflicted lasting damage, and now that circumstances have changed, we can expect a little push-back when we try to throw our weight around<<

I’m more than happy to address the issue. But let’s not be half hearted about it –Let’s not artificially limit it the misdeeds of Europeans, only.
Let’s have a full, truth and reconciliation session.

Here’s a starting list:

i) The Turks for ravaging of central Europe [1289 --1923], and for their ethnic cleansing of Greeks & Armenians [late 20th Century]

ii) The Arabs for their ravaging the civilisations of S Asia & N Africa & Europe [624—1360], and for their part in running the biggest slave racket in history.

iii) The empires of South America ( Inca, Aztec etc) who conquered & enslaved dozens of other nation states/cities

iv) The Thais & Vietnamese for their usurping of Khmer & Mon territories .
v) The various African indigenous empires for conquering and exterminating of other tribes, and their complicity in the slave trade.
vi) The conquest of Hawaii under Kamehameha --and the resulting slaughter other his opposition tribes.
vii) The Maoris inter-tribal genocide [1800s]
viii) The India’s ongoing suppression of minorities & exploitation of their lands.
ix) Javanese colonialists for their transmigration program which dispossess the West Irianese , and a hundred other distinct non-Javanese peoples

At different times and places most groups –inflicted lasting damage –European colonialists were not the first nor the latest
So if it’s about those that have been damaged pushing back , I can see it developing into one hell of a mêlé
Posted by Horus, Tuesday, 27 July 2010 8:23:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles:>>
(sonofgloin)>> Sadly our indigenous got the colour but they aint got the blues.<<

Pericles:>> Would you perhaps have been less inclined to describe the songs as "rubbish", had they been performed by, say, a Ma Rainey or a Bessie Smith?<<

Pericles, probably so.
I note that you did not chide me over my statement that the conditions in which the indigenous citizens live is of third world standard, and that alone is enough to justify their anger and outrage, or that I believe positive discrimination towards these first Aussies was fitting and proper. No need to challenge me on these points as they are facts reinforced by current child mortality rates and average life span.

In a similar vein believe my appraisal of the musicianship of the indigenous bands exhibited in that hour or so of listening. There are of course individual talents from the indigenous Aussies such as Marlene Cummins or Archie Roach. Love Archie, but as a group do the locals have the apparent talent of the American negro, no way, and what is wrong with saying so?

My positive discrimination does not extend to gilding the lilly in regard to attributes that are not there, even the Islanders are more musically inclined than our first Aussies. It's not their fault, it's not my fault, it is just how it is.

Pericles don't read more into the observation than the face value, no hidden agenda of discredit or demeaning, just my sledge hammer outlook. What is, is.
Posted by sonofgloin, Tuesday, 27 July 2010 8:56:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Horus all of what you said is valid, everybody has a beef, you just have to look back far enough. My point is that we should focus and fix what is happening now rather than cry over the past. Why is the "stolen generation" a current and ongoing topic and not indigenous child mortality? Why are pages filled with passion in forums in regard to indigenous rights, but we accept that indigenous Aussies die younger regularly. In fact indigenous Aussies born in the period 1996-2001 are estimated to have a life expectancy at birth of 59 years for males, and 64 years for females. The poor guy does not even hit retirement age, but who cares as long as we can discuss their forebear’s tribulations infinitum. Crocodile tears for the dream time.
Posted by sonofgloin, Tuesday, 27 July 2010 9:17:13 PM
sonofgloin,
You make some good points, and sound sincere to me.

Don’t be intimated because some old Greek doesn’t share your musical tastes. On my part I prefer Michael Jackson (that will probably get up his nose too!)

Cheers
Posted by Horus, Tuesday, 27 July 2010 9:59:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy