The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Selfish

Selfish

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All
TrashcanMan:>> In the case of the small tribal communities, their version of communism is enforced mainly by tradition and necessity. But in larger communities, it can only be enforced by taking away the rights of individuals. It is at this point communism turns 'bad'.<<

TCM, it is naive to connect by ethos the sharing society of the tribal group, and the thoughts of Karl Marx. One is a way to sustain a tribal society in harmony while living in relative desolation. The other is a political doctrine that has expansion as its penultimate goal, the ultimate goal being global domination, sort of like the Jihadists.
Posted by sonofgloin, Monday, 26 July 2010 6:59:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pelican,
Two wrongs don't make a right, full stop ! The gist of my statement was to draw attention to the relentless accusing the white man. He's not Robinson Crusoe by a long shot in matters of exploitation & racism. He just happens to be the first to record his own misdeeds, something we have yet to see from the others.
Posted by individual, Monday, 26 July 2010 9:54:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Individual,
<< He just happens to be the first to record his own misdeeds, something we have yet to see from the others>>

Well said, Individual.

In major parts of the world it’s absolutely NOT halal to suggest the locals have had a less than savoury past.
In our domain, on the other hand, everything is critically examined and it’s considered good sport to nit pick (some nonentities actually build careers on it!)

And that’s all well and good,as long as you don’t lose sight of the fact that we’re not “Robinson Crusoe”

It's all about balance – about separating fad from fact ---and taking responsibility for your own future and “MOVING FORWARD”

For all those who think otherwise, here’s a song just for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym_mJokfTQg&feature=related
Posted by Horus, Tuesday, 27 July 2010 6:30:57 AM
Apologies Pelican, I misread, my reply was for Pericles.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 27 July 2010 7:31:46 AM
sonofgloin,

i'm talking about the basic ideology of communism. It has nothing to do with global domination/expansion. (Nor does Jihadism btw). The ideology has just been mixed up in the past by the expansionist/aggressive politics of those who have advocated it.

I just want to say, I am not pro-communist. I just wanted to discuss how the self-preserving / self-advancing nature of humans (in this forum being simplistically described as selfishness) makes for an ideology like communism impossible.
Posted by TrashcanMan, Tuesday, 27 July 2010 8:35:37 AM
Not sure that this gets you off the hook, individual:

>>The gist of my statement was to draw attention to the relentless accusing the white man. He's not Robinson Crusoe by a long shot in matters of exploitation & racism. He just happens to be the first to record his own misdeeds, something we have yet to see from the others.<<

It was not my suggestion that "the white man", as you call him, was - or is - unique in his exploitation of his fellow man. And I fully accept that our ability to analyze our behaviour in the broader context of life on our planet in the twenty-first century sets us apart from those who cannot.

But this changes nothing.

Horus skewers the problem, perfectly.

>>It's all about balance – about separating fad from fact ---and taking responsibility for your own future and “MOVING FORWARD”<<

That's exactly the way to avoid addressing the issue.

"It's all in the past".

"Let's forget about it and 'move forward'"

"Hey, nothing to do with me, I wasn't even born at the time, right?"

But who was it who once threatened to:

"[visit] the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation"

Some folk actually believe that it is their duty to hold grudges against people who, in their view, have treated them badly. And to take the opportunity to "visit iniquity" whenever they can.

This is not "black armband" stuff.

It is not about "apologizing".

Nor even about redress, as the past cannot be changed, even with money.

It is about recognizing that we have inflicted lasting damage, and now that circumstances have changed, we can expect a little push-back when we try to throw our weight around.

Sure, we could become "just like them". But it wouldn't do us any good, in either the short or the longer term.

Nor will continuing to be selfish.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 27 July 2010 9:11:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. All