The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Pride In Our National Identity ...

Pride In Our National Identity ...

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The idea for this thread has come out of
an article thread on how our country is
perceived on the global stage. Another
poster asked me why should we care what
others thought of us, and when I tried to
answer the question I was accused of being
anti-Australian.

Anyway, this made me think that why should
the recognition of the fact that we do have
problems with social transformation and accepting
diversity in this country be taken as being
anti-Australian. Surely having pride in our
national identity and recognising that we have
problems doesn't need to be a contradition. It
shouldn't be a matter of one or the other.
Should it?

What do others think?
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 15 July 2010 7:25:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Foxy. I read your comments in the other thread and happen to agree with you; it is important to possess national pride and take ownership of our nation acknowledging and having pride.

I would have posted a comment the other evening, however it was quite late by the time I had finished comments on the other threads previously following.

I look forward to reading others OLO comments.

Enjoy your week Foxy.
Posted by we are unique, Thursday, 15 July 2010 11:10:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I like the easy going pride we show in this country as it is.
I am thinking now about the soccer and pubs open all night for fans from Holland Germany Spain.
Have you seen little Italy in Sydney on such a night.
I fear American style super patriotism that see,s much more internal strife among different races, even American against American.
Foxy with respect,total ,,,I will not bend to the view this country has any more difficulty with excepting others than any country.
IF doubts exist about my claim this country will have problems with one culture, we know who, if we open our eyes and look at the world, we will see our future in the Nordic country's, in Holland , in England.
From country's all over the world I welcome our new Australians, it is my love, pride, and honor at being an Aussie that drives me to refuse to let PC drive me to be ashamed at who we are.
Posted by Belly, Friday, 16 July 2010 4:58:14 AM
I don't think there's a more important factor to a successful nation than it's peoples attitude towards building the nation. If OLO comments are anything to go by then I think the greatest threat to Australia comes from many who call themselves proud Australians.
Posted by individual, Friday, 16 July 2010 7:33:56 AM
Dear Foxy,

I think the biggest threat to a "real" feeling of identity to any country is the influence of the "generic" miasma that has descended upon western civilisation.
I believe one has to step out of "main street" to experience the gentle scents of what it means to be Australian. We possess an inbuilt insecurity to the flux and change that dictates the migration of humans on this planet - it has always been thus.
Let's face it, most urban westerners, whichever country they reside in, lead very similar lives. They work in similar occupations, they shop in similar patterns in similar stores, they drive similar cars, their cities have similar designs, they dress alike....
It is very difficult then, for westerners who reside in urban conglomerations to feel a distinct national identity, and subsequently through insecurity, they tend to feel as if their way of life is easily threatened.
When I read the posts on OLO, those from people who have slowed down and stopped to smell the banksias are the one's whose sense of Australian identity rings true.
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 16 July 2010 8:29:36 AM
I don't think Australians have come to grips with what it is to be Australian. If you see Caucasian Australians on the tele with the flag draped over their shoulders then it's openly called nationalism and frowned upon by the vast majority with an opinion.

There's still a serious mistrust of immigrants - just look at the debate on asylum seekers - and there IS still and racial under-current to how the Australian society thinks as a whole. Personally, I think that comes with with the vastness of the country - geographically and culturally - and the open segregation of main stream media.

Many cultures make up this nation. Point out content on the main channels that are targeted at non-Caucasians. Usually, other cultures are aired through comedy.

Indigenous Australians are far from celebrated by main stream Australia and are either seen as a problem or pulled off the top shelf and displayed like puppets when the need arises for the international community.

Open a debate nationally on what does it mean to be Australian and I guarantee it'll turn out to be just as divisive as the immigrant debate.
Posted by StG, Friday, 16 July 2010 9:39:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy