The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What is an election?

What is an election?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
<< …suggesting that our system is voluntary because one may cast a null vote is not a good argument in support of compulsory voting. >>

But it is not in support of compulsory voting. It is expressing the truth of the situation – that voting IS actually voluntary. Having a formalised null vote option would mean that voting is essentially voluntary to a considerably greater extent than it is now.

Compulsory voting, as I see it as existing now, is where the vast majority of us feel compelled to vote for one of the candidates on offer and don’t realise that they can effectively vote for no one, or they’d feel naughty and unlawful if they did that.

<< It's like obliging someone who has no interest in Autralian Rules Football to cast a vote for rule changes or new league board members, makes no sense. >>

Oh no, I don’t see that comparison as being valid at all. We’re talking about the governance of our country, not some silly game. We’ve all got a stake in our governance. We really should all be strongly advised to vote, IMO. The system should get us all into the voting arena and mindset, rather than encouraging apathy.

Vociferous, what I am proposing would simply get a larger portion of the populace engaged in the running of the country compared to your voluntary voting ideology where a large section, being the most apathetic group, would just stay at home. Those who are REALLY apathetic can still drop in a blank ballot paper, with just the very minor inconvenience of having to go to a polling booth once every three years or thereabouts for a federal election.

Your principle of voting being a civil right rather than a civic duty would be upheld.

continued
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 18 July 2010 7:14:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<< …not all people who choose not to vote are necessarily apathetic, some are simply not comfortable supporting any candidate or are not interested in participating in the flawed electoral system you highlighted. >>

Yes, but at present, we can’t really tell whether a null vote is accidental, deliberate but apathetic or a deliberate vote for no one, unless the voter writes something on their ballot paper to indicate their intent. And if they do, their intent doesn’t get recorded in any sort of stats.

I think it would be quite valuable to know what portion of voters put in a vote for no one because of discontent with all the candidates, or with the two big ones, one of which would almost always get their vote after preferences have filtered down even if they put these two last and second last!!

The way to do this is to have a square for no candidate….and optional preferential voting.
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 18 July 2010 7:16:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey Ludwig,

In principal I totally agree with your point, it would be useful or at least interesting information; in practice however there are already too many variables to be counted at elections. Simplifying and clarifying the process is preferable I think. So even though the individual reasons would not be known a low voter turnout under a voluntary system certainly sends a clear message to politicians that the majority are uninspired by their words or policies so they need to work harder and perhaps even become more transparent or explain themselves in a clearer more detailed fashion to win votes
Posted by vociferous, Sunday, 18 July 2010 10:07:43 AM
As a CONSTITUTIONALIST I refused to be required compulsory to vote, even so I was a candidate in elections, and by this didn’t vote. The Commonwealth then did a 5 year epic legal battle against me for FAILING TO VOTE and on 19 July 2006 I comprehensively defeated the Commonwealth. I do not oppose voting but opposing compulsory voting.
Also, I oppose the swindle of voting where any primary vote nets the candidate about $2.20. Meaning that where my wife and I do not vote then we save $2.20 for the Senate each and $2.20 for the HoR each saving taxpayers a total of $8.80! If this were translated to thousands of electors not voting then this would save a lot of money. A start to teach them not to use a vote for financial purposes.
The whole voting system is rigged where the above the line favours candidates and independent candidates generally are missing out.
I neither vote in State or municipal elections, despite I was a candidate – no more I think – so the only candidate who never voted even for himself!
This time my wife is going to vote for me, not that I am a candidate, but a pretend vote, and I will put a sign up in the front yard to vote for me! Now that can be some fun people searching on the ballot paper for me (the unlisted pretend candidate).
See also http://www.scribd.com/InspectorRikati
Posted by Mr Gerrit H Schorel-Hlavka, Sunday, 18 July 2010 11:53:00 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Facebook group I started the other day has only four members so far; hardly impressive numbers but it's a start and it's early days.

So to any of the posters here who have agreed with my views and may want to do a little bit to help me spread the word and pursue this issue... I say, please feel free to join the group, even if you don't have a Facebook account you can join and keep your profile private while adding your vote (pun intended) to the group and the cause. Or if you really do not wish to do the Facebook thing yourself, perhaps you can send the link to friends and acquaintances who might.

http://www.facebook.com/Lord.Of.The.Starfields#!/group.php?gid=145462422130774&ref=mf
Posted by vociferous, Monday, 19 July 2010 9:14:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy