The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Who's Your Favourite Detective?

Who's Your Favourite Detective?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
I thought I'd introduce a light note among the threads. The subject of fictitious detectives arose on another thread and it got me thinking that it might be interesting to discuss which of those we prefer and why.
So, who do you think does it best... Sherlock Holmes, Maigret, Ellery Queen, Nero Wolfe, Philip Marlowe, Miss Marple, Lord Peter Wimsey, Father Brown, inimitable Poirot...or another sleuth?( Actually, I'm rather a fan of Mr Holmes and Maigret, myself)
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 17 June 2010 1:53:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How can you even ask that question Hercule! :)

Seriously though I am kind of partial to Geraldine McEwan's interpretation of Miss Marple even though the BBC takes some latitude with the original stories, but it is a toss up with the great man himself.

Rosemary and Thyme were good as amateur detectives (being a fan of Felicity Kendall from The Good Life). Although one should question why whenever they win a garden contract many people seem to die - not good for marketing or sales one would think. Almost on par with living in an English village especially if they are in the region of Midsomer.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 18 June 2010 9:27:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's elementary, my dear Poirot. Holmes is the greatest literary detective, bar none!
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 18 June 2010 9:44:26 AM
My favourite literary detective by far is Miss Marple, and the best performance of the character is done by Margaret Rutherford (who herself has a fascinating and mysterious life story).

My next favourite Agatha Christie character is Hercule.

I have enjoyed reading any Agatha Christie, but really the devices she uses are a bit duh! at times. Red herrings; minimized key clues; the cousin who was supposed to be living in distant Australia but who has been masquerading as the local tea lady (or some such) whose identity becomes clear as the story winds up.

Therefore, much as I have enjoyed Christie's writing, I really think Conan Doyle sets out a better mystery and Sherlock Holmes is the more difficult character portrayal. I don't have any fave actor for that role as far as I recall.

Haven't read any of them for many years, but I do have the beaut set of Margaret Rutherford movies and they are always a joy - so funny.
Posted by Pynchme, Friday, 18 June 2010 10:02:43 AM
Hi Pynch - I always find Agatha Christie books a bit twee and formulaic, but I agree that Margaret Rutherford is the best screen rendition of Miss Marple.

Best Sherlock Holmes actor - Basil Rathbone, of course. Elementary, my dear Pynchme :)
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 18 June 2010 10:07:24 AM
haha!! Hey CJ:)

YES - I forgot about Basil and I think I agree with that.

Here's a treat for you and anyone who wants to delightfully waste an hour or two; full movies:

Murder She Said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIV6LwVR7Bo

Murder at the Gallop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHUJnXTx5bY

Murder Most Foul:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5RDfbXTq2E&feature=PlayList&p=99C583B8B5FDF837&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

Murder Ahoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avzLqzi_q6A
Posted by Pynchme, Friday, 18 June 2010 11:07:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy