The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Who's Your Favourite Detective?

Who's Your Favourite Detective?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
On paper, Poirot and Holmes would have to battle it out for my favourite. I do like the kitschy, unsubtle absurdity of Christie's storylines - they really are the classic 'whodunit' novels, where we are led to believe that we could solve the mystery ourselves, but in reality only the most twisted of us could do it.

On TV, I just can't go past Barnaby (Midsomer Murders) and, my all-time favourite, Inspector Rex. Not that the dog can really be a detective, but his owner, Moser, seems pretty switched on, too.
Posted by Otokonoko, Friday, 18 June 2010 6:17:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good evening all...

What an absolutely terrific thread ! Yes, I've always liked Holmes. With interesting plots. And London, at its grey, foggy and damp best.
The atmosphere, complete with the hollowing and resounding sounds of a pair of beautiful horses, with their hooves on wet cobble stones drawing a Hansom Carriage through a damp and gloomy night.

And my great contemporary favourite, DI.Henry Crabbe, of 'Pie in the Sky' fame. A marvellous series that seems to make me rather hungry !

Richard Griffiths, who is 'Crabbe' and so good in the role.

A reluctant, quietly spoken copper, who only wishes to be allowed to retire, so that he may run a small Restaurant, along with his good Wife.

And poor ol' Columbo driving to the crime in his beloved automobile, another favourite of mine.

All three, completely divested of (mostly) their guns, and associated accoutrements. Speak softly, and conduct their enquiries deferentially and politely. All great guys ! Of course our Holmes, does have an occasional episode of noisy hubris ! But I guess he's entitled to. After all, he is the world's greatest Detective !

Good night...Sung Wu.
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 18 June 2010 7:20:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Sung Wu,
You have mentioned the atmosphere which is so important - especially in the Sherlock Holmes stories. I could almost hear the horses hooves as you described them.
I mentioned in an earlier post that Conan Doyle was from Edinburgh - another gloomy atmospheric city - perhaps that's why the notion of an over-warm smoky study seems so inviting....a silk dressing-gown...a comb of the moustaches... a small crème de menthe.....but, forgive me, the atmosphere it runs away with me.
Now, where was I?
Oh, Yes, Henry Crabbe is a favourite of mine - and Columbo is a wonderful character.
As you've pointed out, all our favourite detectives seem to be quiet achievers.
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 18 June 2010 7:54:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu
What a great choice. Pie in the Sky would have to rate as one of the all time greats. What could be more enjoyable than solving a mystery over a pale of pork and leek pie (organic of course).
Posted by pelican, Friday, 18 June 2010 8:18:44 PM
I'd totally forgotten about the
"Columbo" series starring Peter Falk.
It was most enjoyable, as was "Macmillan and Wife."

My other favourites that I now remember are:

"Berjerac," with John Nettles (Midsomer Murders),
set on the wonderful isle of Jersey.
"Taggart," "Dalziel and Pascoe," (the odd couple),
"Sweeney," and "Waking The Dead."

I should also mention did anyone ever read the
"Famous Five," and "Secret Seven" series of books
as a child?
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 18 June 2010 8:38:22 PM
Dear Foxy,

I was a big fan of Bergerac - used to sit up late once a week just to watch it.

Yep, I started off with the Secret Seven then graduated to the Famous Five. I've very fond memories of reading those books - they used to make me hungry as well, with their bumper meals...all in all, jolly good show!
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 18 June 2010 8:45:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy