The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A Lesson in Racism

A Lesson in Racism

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. All
Andrew Johns comments within the NSW Origin camp are a HUGE lesson for everyone on the whole. I really don't think Johns is a racist, I just really think there - (which seems apparent in the wider Au community, as well) - is a certain amount of ignorance towards racism and the affect comments aimed at someone's family tree CAN have on an individual.

I believe Tahu, without knowing the bloke, would think this as well.

It seems Tahu acted on an apparent on going issue with comments such as this within the league culture. This was his stand.

"Black c..." is a racist inference, and statement. What that comment does is devalue the role of an individual within his friendship with other players, his value within the club and team, devalue him as an equal in terms of humanity, and devalues the abilities and drive that got that player, and person, to that level.

You don't have to be a racist to make a racist comment. A comment that separates an individual from others based on race, is racist. Also, intention and ignorance is irrelevant when it comes to the person on the receiving end.

By using that term, Johns devalued every single player in the league community that comes from every culture that apparently fits his statement. He devalued his mates, and he devalued his mate's family and history.

Bravo, Tamana Tahu.
Posted by StG, Monday, 14 June 2010 9:20:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How about calling some and idiot.We are then discriminating on grounds of intelligence.We can get too precious about racism and not see the underlying humour.This also allows big brother to make more rules to subjugate us.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 14 June 2010 9:58:46 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It all comes down to respect for each other StG, you don't tend to see much of that in football despite all the rhetoric about mateship and team spirit - if one believes all the media hype. A mate is someone who accepts you for who you are whether you be gay, ethnic or of different colour.

I know zip about football really other than the media portrayal of it, so there are probably a good many footballers who don't condone this behaviour but are largely unheard.

Johns was drunk by all account so perhaps was not in possession of a right mind, but that does not excuse his behaviour.

As an aside, I always wonder why the C word is used in putting someone down given that most men are almost always in pursuit of that very part of the anatomy.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 14 June 2010 10:41:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Would STG and PELICAN mind giving a serious comment on the following article...

http://www.acrawsa.org.au/ejournalFiles/Volume%204,%20Number%202,%202008/O%27Connell%20Pinned%20Like%20a%20Butterfly%20FINAL.pdf

STG said:

You don't have to be a racist to make a racist comment. A comment that separates an individual from others based on race, is racist. Also, intention and ignorance is irrelevant when it comes to the person on the receiving end.

THE ARTICLE.

Have a look at exactly WHAT this aboriginal woman said.. please..
You'll find it to the right of word "preface" in the right hand column.

Now.. given what STG has said.. does anyone honestly consider what this woman said is NOT "racist".

I deliberately quoted STG's comment above for contrast purposes.

Finally...what do you all make of the MAGISTRATE's comment on page 6

Lower right hand side..bottom.

This magistrate declares 'white' not to be an offensive term. Who can disagree..that was NOT the reason the prison guard made a complaint. It was the OTHER adjectives attached TO the word 'white'.

PAGE 7.. summarizes the magistrates findings as follows:

For their social dominance, ill-defined
boundaries and internal diversity as a
group, Brown FM finds that whites should
not be able to invoke the racial hatred
provisions of the Racial Discrimination
Act.

Right hand side column.. about half way down.

Has anyone read section 9 and 10 of the race discrimination act lately?

EQUALITY before the law is the intent. (irrespective of race or color)
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Monday, 14 June 2010 11:11:19 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's an interesting article, Al. It seems to me that the magistrate missed the point. Regardless of whether or not the woman was referring to a specific racial group, she made a clear statement that all white people are inferior to her and that she shows disrespect and (possibly) hatred towards them for this. At the same time, the term "black" doesn't refer to a specific racial group. Even "negro" doesn't: after all, there are many different racial groups in Africa, just as there are different white groups in Europe. White people are people of European descent, black people could be African, Melanesian, South Asian . . . I think Brown has offered a dangerous precedent here. One can only make expressions of racial hatred if one makes mention of a specific racial group: "You Croatians are all . . .", or "You Punjabis are all . . .".

Interesting.
Posted by Otokonoko, Monday, 14 June 2010 11:50:04 AM
<< Bravo, Tamana Tahu. >>

I agree. While there have been commendable efforts, particularly from the NRL and AFL administrations to rid their cultures of overt racism, there is evidently some way to go. I think that this action by Tahu is the kind of thing that demonstrates that racist abuse will no longer be tolerated by players.

Boaz's example is a typical furphy. The case he's been peddling around the forum involves a cynically frivolous attempt by a "white" prison warden to turn the intent of the RDA on its head. While nobody would condone the alleged offender's language, it appears from the evidence that she had been subject to some significant provocation from a representative of a penal system that is notoriously structurally racist.

Andrew Johns had not been provoked by anything, and quite thoughtlessly used a racist term of abuse because it has been normal to do so within the culture of rugby league. Evidently, it is increasingly unacceptable to do so.

Now, if only similar progress could be made with respect to the structural racism that has always pervaded Australian 'correctional' systems...
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 14 June 2010 12:32:24 PM
CJ, we rarely agree, but in this case I too agree

The effect this "drunken comment" (in vino veritas?) may have had on its own is trivial, the stand taken by Tahu is one that is long overdue.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander players have copped sledging of this type on the field and off for too long. I presume the South Sea Islanders, Fijians and Maoris have too.

This "stand" is principled and with any luck may have an effect upon the "careless" racism that people just have to put up with...

Then again, if Johns was describing the QLD backline, exactly how many did he refer to in this way? I strongly suspect what got Tahu's back up would have been the Black C this and Black C that... There is no shortage of indigenous players in the QLD side.

I think Tahu should be asked to return to the squad, to the detriment of the Maroons, while Johns should be relegated to the sh$$t heap as a result. Kids watch this game, they idolise the players, they also copy them, the longer this continues unchecked the longer they'll copy it.

I am quite interested to see the result of this on Wednesday night. The fact that the majority of the NSW team seems to regard this as a non-event will be a red rag to a bull to most of the QLD team, including their coach.

By the way, let me add - QQQUUUUEEEEEEENNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAANNNNDDDDEERRRR :D
Posted by Custard, Monday, 14 June 2010 12:41:00 PM
ALGOREisRICH,

Meh.

Others,

Cheers. Oh, and QUEEEEEEEEEENSLANDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER.
Posted by StG, Monday, 14 June 2010 12:54:14 PM
A comment is racist if it separates a person by race AND imputes inherent inferiority. While Johns' comment was not racist because his imputation against an adversary was of superior performance not of inherent inferiority, he was reported as making a comment about himself at the same time as coming from underprivileged white stock in a similar aspersion to bravado, he should have been mindful that his comment could be lost in the cacophony of racist comments made against persons of the same race as the talented player, which it evidently was. He should also have been mindful that alluding to the talented adversary by race is hardly going to inspire a team member of the same race.

Equality before Australian law irrespective of race or color is a nonsense in its application to an Aboriginal woman, firstly because no woman in Australia is equal with men before the law since the nation's Constitution requires that all women remain under male supervision as can be evidenced in the knowledge that a simple majority of the parliament can rescind the Commonwealth Franchise Act 1902 with the effect of removing all women members and prohibiting all women in Australia the vote. Secondly, because Australian law does not recognise a women's jurisdiction as does the customary law of Australia's first peoples. The comments made by the Aboriginal woman were entirely fair, implied no inherent inferiority, merely the inferiority of Australian law in comparison with customary law and were warranted, perspicacious and just. Moreover, in the reverse of the Johns dilemma, the woman is perfectly correct in bringing the injustice in which she finds herself to public attention to the betterment of all Australians.

The solution to assuage both concerns is to achieve equality at law between women and men, which also achieves equality between races since race is comprised of women and men, with a republic governed by agreement between women's and men's legislatures, courts and corporate committees.
Posted by whistler, Monday, 14 June 2010 1:03:23 PM
whistler,

"A comment is racist if it separates a person by race AND imputes inherent inferiority. While Johns' comment was not racist because his imputation against an adversary was of superior performance not of inherent inferiority"

The term "black c..." creates a perception of inferiority by use of term and all it means. It may not have been his intention but that completely irrelevant when he wasn't the one offended by it. What is important is what the term meant to Tahu.
Posted by StG, Monday, 14 June 2010 1:46:50 PM
I think some of you need to take a walk in the real world.
Andrew Johns did nothing that is not every day within the Aboriginal community.
As we the community use the word barstard as an insult and a term of friendship, so too is the exact term used by these folk.
The very words Johns used.
And not always in loving terms.
Johns is an icon of his sport, should have known not to use those words.
Should not take it for granted being slapped on the back and reminded he is a white ba@#@d is different than this,, no one cares about your feelings Joey.
You must not feed the increasingly ugly chooks media cares not for truth will go well past honesty in reporting/manufacturing headlines.
I bet the most unloved sportsman in Australia's history,, nothing to do with race, Mundine was approached to make more silly things come out of his problem place.
The mans mouth is not connected to his brain.
Tahu go back to that other game it may be easier to play with gentlemen rather than us NRL types.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 14 June 2010 2:23:35 PM
CJ and Whislter... amazing stuff.. straight out of "Alice..through the looking glass"

Humpty said:

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

Just as CJ used copious amounts of 'scorn' with which to dismantle the clear meaning of Australian law, and it's intended purpose...ie.. as the law itself says

RACIAL DISCRIMINATION ACT 1975 - SECT 10
Rights to equality before the law

(1) If, by reason of, or of a provision of, a law of the Commonwealth or of a State or Territory, persons of a particular race, colour or national or ethnic origin do not enjoy a right that is enjoyed by persons of another race, colour or national or ethnic origin, or enjoy a right to a more limited extent than persons of another race, colour or national or ethnic origin, then, notwithstanding anything in that law, persons of the first&#8209;mentioned race, colour or national or ethnic origin shall, by force of this section, enjoy that right to the same extent as persons of that other race, colour or national or ethnic origin.

The law...is clear. Brother Morgan apparently cannot read or even understand "English" as a language.

Equality..is not a humpty version "inequality".. it is EQUALITY..as in.. irrespective of skin color or history..or any Whistler or Morganesque twilight zone spin... Black = White and White=Black.. and treatment under the law must be...equal.

I think Whistler and CJ have recently signed up for Ignatiev's white hatred site "Race Traitor"- where one of their slogans is:

"The Point Is Not To Interpret Whiteness But To To Abolish It"
and
"Treason to whiteness is loyalty to humanity"

I suppose this is just another way of saying "Whites are subhuman"

I look forward to further unpacking and exposing the vile and loathesome anti white racism of the Greens and of CJ himself.(by his own confession)

"Black c..." is a racist inference, and statement. STG.
"White S..." is a racist inference, and statement. RDA
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Monday, 14 June 2010 2:24:36 PM
C J Morgan, "thoughtlessly used a racist term of abuse because it has been normal to do so within the culture of rugby league."

It was Andrew Johns betraying his origins and it says nothing about football or Australian culture.

It is the mentality of some sections of the community that disrespects and taints all it touches. It is not racism as much as their outlook on life and that generalises. Talk with police, ambos and property owners, they will paint the picture in thirty seconds flat.

It is fortunate that some of the boys and girls get involved in sport because it gives them some pride and something else to do other than make a nuisance of themselves.

The Andrew Johns' lapse is the exception to the rule and shows just how much good sports coaches and managers have done to drag some kids up from the gutter.

Why Tahu didn't tell Johns to get stuffed in front of the other players or talk to him to one side or previously - they have known each other for years - is anyone's guess. That together with the walk-out and slow return could indicate things are a mite more complicated.
Posted by Cornflower, Monday, 14 June 2010 2:30:57 PM
Belly,

You mean, ignorant ferals?
Posted by StG, Monday, 14 June 2010 3:18:38 PM
Boazy: << I think Whistler and CJ have recently signed up for Ignatiev's white hatred site "Race Traitor" >>

I can't speak for whistler, but in my case you're absolutely wrong - as usual.

<< I look forward to further unpacking and exposing the vile and loathesome anti white racism of the Greens and of CJ himself.(by his own confession) >>

That's just a lie, but again, nothing new. When have I "confessed" to "anti white racism"? How do the Greens subscribe to "anti white racism"?

I think you should retract those porkies, or provide some evidence. Once again, I won't hold my breath. I expect you'll just ignore my points, as you did when I provided evidence of you and your mate in hate vilifying Muslims.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 14 June 2010 3:31:45 PM
I believe that Andrew Johns directed the derogatory remark at Queensland centre Greg Inglis.

However Greg Inglis will be on the field at the Cauldron with the rest of the Maroons at 8.00pm sharp, June 16th. He is very fit too and will take some stopping.

Meanwhile, will Joel Monaghan (Raiders) replace Tahu? Joel has had to endure redhead jokes all of his life, including the awful 'Ranga' jibe. It is not discrimination 'they' say even though gingers are a minority group and are said to be dying out.
Posted by Cornflower, Monday, 14 June 2010 4:45:20 PM
Going by the news it seems Johns has ongoing issues with people from various races. Tahu said it himself, so it wasn't a media "thing".

Tahu is a REAL role model.
Posted by StG, Monday, 14 June 2010 6:16:15 PM
The problem is racial inequality not racism, StG. There is a substantial difference, particularly with respect to the law. Racism is the product of the assertion of inherent inferiority, racial inequality the product of the inequitable treatment of race through social inopportunity, what has come to be known as racial vilification. Racial inequality may have an historical basis in racism but is not racism as such when inherent inferiority is no longer the basis of inequality. Both racism and racial inequality are the product of patriarchy, of a male disposition to hierarchy enacted without restraint in governance, racism the outcome of more extreme forms of patriarchy. Racism and racial inequality, as well as class, caste and inherent prerogative, are extinguished when patriarchy is replaced with equal rights governance between women and men since hierarchy is sidelined from preemptive social importance.

ALGOREisRICH, the Constitution trumps the Racial Discrimination Act 1975. A Constitution based on male privilege, as is Australia's Constitution, governs a nation in which men and their inherent hierarchies prevail while legislation enacted with feel good statements of equality, as with the Racial Discrimination Act 1975, are unenforceable as evidenced by the disadvantage women have endured in pay and power over the past three decades since the enactment of sex discrimination legislation
Posted by whistler, Monday, 14 June 2010 7:17:48 PM
Hi again whistler. I really don't understand your position.

If one person can be convicted of a racism crime on the grounds of the RDA..how can you say "The constitution trumps it" ? ?

I simply don't get that.

The law was enacted and stands as it is.. surely, common sense tells you that if it was unconstitutional it would have been challenged to the nth degree by now ?

Parliament cannot make unconstitutional laws.. if they do..challenge.

Do you however agree.. that irrespective of the gender of the woman in the case.. she did in fact use racist language against the white prison guard and no amount of 'but but but' will change that. The motive and the trying circumstances is not relevant...if it was the RRT would not specifically state thus.

As for 'me'... I don't give 2 hoots about being called this or that.. what I DO care about is laws which are not impartially applied..which apply to one segment of the community but not to another on the grounds of skin color.

CJ.. you simply 'demonstrated' your self hating anti white racism by the surreal claims you made justifying blatant anti white discrimination.
You sided with the magistrate and not with the law.. thus it makes you clearly an anti white racist...even though presumably you are white.
I strongly contend the Greens would adopt the same anti white racism that you expressed, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

EVIDENCE of CJ's anti white racism.

-Furphy
-Peddling
-cynical
-frivolous
Turn the INTENT of the RDA on his head ? ? ? In saying that you clearly agree that it is a discriminatory act intended only to protect one group of people based on skin color i.e. Not...white.
-Provocation ?
-Notriously "structurally" racist... that rather says it all.

This would include, presumably, the Race Discrimination Act itself ?

As for the Greens... the evidence is in their constant vilification of (by actions) and attacks on Australian sovereignty and calls for 'International Law' to rule us.

Ludicrous.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Monday, 14 June 2010 8:17:00 PM
So Boazy, I didn't "confess" "anti white racism" - rather you inferred it from my support of the magistrate's decision. Not quite the same, as you well know. Still, you've never apologised for lying before so I won't expect you to now.

Likewise, you can't point to any "loathesome anti white racism of the Greens". You just made that up too, didn't you?

The reason the RDA was enacted was to give redress to people who are victims of 'racial' discrimination. In the case that you keep inappropriately blathering about all over the forum, the complaint itself from the prison warder was obviously frivolous (do you have any idea the kinds of things that prison warders routinely say to prisoners, who are very disproportionately Indigenous?). The magistrate used his legal discretion to dismiss the case due to the mitigating circumstances, together with his undoubted commitment to justice.

Back to the topic - I heard Tahu on the news tonight. According to him, the incident was not an isolated one, and he sees himself as a role model for young people in standing up against remnant racism in the NRL. Good on him again, I say.

And - QUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNSLAAAAAAAAAAAAANDER! :)
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 14 June 2010 8:41:51 PM
Oh what a 'soft cock' society we live in today.

Here's a bloke (inglis) tough as nails and, as if something like this would really hurt him.

What ever happend to 'sticks and stones', I ask!

All this racisum stuff is 100% media driven.

BTW, I am not a racist myself, I simply think we need to harden the F### up!
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 14 June 2010 8:55:01 PM
Yeah rightio rechtub, ya "sink them thar mooslim boat peoples terrorist queue jumping foreigners pauline hanson loving Cletus"
Posted by StG, Monday, 14 June 2010 8:59:52 PM
So you have seen the shape we are all in. Good. Now the world as one.

WHO said this would be easy? not ME. The balance with all humans is in you!( not me) How long can you fight with each other?( not me) How long can you fight with seeing each other as we are? How long can we fight for the same cause? People! We are running out of time! This planet will not take it much more.
Posted by think than move, Monday, 14 June 2010 9:32:52 PM
This is what Tahu had to say on the news tonight:

<< "Leaving Origin was a really big decision for me and I'd like to clarify that it was not just one racial comment directed at one individual that offended me," he said.

"The remarks were directed at various races and the situation I encountered was totally unacceptable.

"I believe I am a role model for children and I did this to show my kids this type of behaviour is wrong.

"This isn't about me or Andrew Johns, it's about arresting racism and standing up for my beliefs. >>

You can find the video here:

Inglis remark tip of the iceberg: Tahu

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/14/2926681.htm?section=justin
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 14 June 2010 9:33:17 PM
The Aboriginal woman is performing a public service, ALGOREisRICH . Thank you for bringing her contribution to public attention. I care also about laws which are not impartially applied..which apply to one segment of the community but not to another on the grounds of gender, first cab off the rank, Australia's Constitution.
Posted by whistler, Monday, 14 June 2010 9:57:10 PM
Albino child in Uganda Photo property of Every Child Ministries.jpgYour gift to Every Child Ministries can mean so much Designate for albino children if you wishIn Uganda, as in many African countries, albino children are often considered a curse, as is any unusual occurence. At Every Child Ministries, a Christian mission for the forgotten children of Africa, we understand that albino children are valued and loved by God. Like EVERY CHILD, they are valued because they are created in the image of God.

These children are often ostracized, sometimes ridiculed, neglected, despised. That's why ECM is establishing a program to reach out to them.

ECM is showing them God's love in a very practical way--by giving them the gift of a pair of sunglasses. This is not just a frivolous gift. The eyes of albinos are extremely sensitive to sunlight--so much so that the sun's rays can be a torture to them. The little boy in this picture walked around with his arm constantly in the air in a vain attempt to shield his sensitive eyes from the sun. Immediately after an ECM team member gave him a pair of sunglasses, his arm came down. He was able to walk around with his arm in the normal position, like other children. He immediately experienced obvious relief from the burning sun.
Posted by think than move, Monday, 14 June 2010 11:48:03 PM
continued...

This project was launched over the New Year's holiday, 2009. As we distributed the sunglasses we shared the Gospel story of God's amazing love with the children, give them hugs to demonstrate our acceptance, and gather information so we can keep in touch with them.

Albinos have a tendency toward skin cancer, sores and other health problems, caused because their skin lacks the natural protection that melanin pigment gives. Their condition, called albinism, is not curable. It is caused by a combination of recessive genes that cause them to be born without melanin pigmentation in their skin. Albinism can occur in animals as well as in people. Albinism is fairly frequent in Africa, where people frequently marry within clan groups, increasing the chance that this particular set of recessive genes will be combined from both parents.

Through the help of many friends, ECM has been able to do some practical things to help protect the children from the negative effects of exposure to the sun and also to create some materials that may help people understand albinism better and thus accept albinos more freely. Most of all, we are doing our best to make sure these children know that they are deeply loved by God, and to demonstrate that fact by showing them God's love in practical ways.

And you see where you come from.

And prob is what?

TTM
Posted by think than move, Monday, 14 June 2010 11:48:43 PM
I stated in my earlier post - that it was likely to have been more than one racist remark, especially if the discussion was about QLD's backline. As to John's being excused responsibility because he was "drunk", why as assistant coach was he drunk at a team meeting?

Tahu has taken this and turned it on its head so the world can see. Yes, it is thoughtless racism, the standard everyday stuff that does the damage. I habitually call my friends black or white depending upon what they are, but I don't use derogatory terminology, especially when discussing people who aren't in the room.

Maybe this is part of the reason why Hunt & others are going to AFL where such sledging is a thing of the past?

As to the clown who said harden the f##k up, gladly, let the ref's look away for about 20 minutes while it is discussed and a compromise arrived at (ie. everyone gets to harden the F##K up, actually the Ref could do with it too if it is the clown I'm expecting). Certain areas are not and cannot be used for sledging, it is the way of the world now, because the affected player will be penalized and/or sent off for smashing the sledger in the teeth when they stand up (NB If one player cannot return fire, best stop the other starting it).

I suspect Wednesday night to be a PRIME example. This is the challenge, such sledging is no longer acceptable, as the response is no longer acceptable. If the referee's explicitly allow the sledge, they implicitly allow the response.
Posted by Custard, Monday, 14 June 2010 11:58:24 PM
Guess in the family tree of life where you come from. Evolution makes experiments with life and we sometimes don't understand the miracles of life itself. On the family tree black Africans are your fathers to all the races we see today. So whites are just an evolutionary experiment with all the natural wonders of this earth God or not.

In all, all of life is just what it is, and religion is just a guide to the many great beings we are today.

And this is why with evidence that we came from black people and split up and become integrated through interbreeding and this is why we have the diversity of human species we have today.

So! Why are you fighting over such a small planet, which you have no control over, because your just and we are just a small species in a never ending time of us being here.

So now you have a lot to think about, my brothers and sisters in arms.

TTM
Posted by think than move, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 12:03:14 AM
rechtub hold on to some thing, I AGREE!
At last some common sense,wounder how much of this rubbish is from other football supporters?
Or the cultural cringe QLD v NSW and WA against the east tripe.
Every single day, every one of them, the term is thrown around my shopping main street shouted.
And if I said ease up old mate?
Shut your mouth white barstard!
Boazy you do more harm than good ranting like that.
STG? how dd you put Muslims and boat people in that defense of every thing Aboriginal?
Can you not see you are so wrong to get that far into the gutter.
C J Morgan you will beat us many more times, because your team wants to win more than mine has more pride than mine and better talent than mine, oh and you have a coach who understands who should play in what position.
I want a better life for every race but while any one is free to be blind to his faults and spotlight another's we are getting no place.
A real man asks to talk in private and has it out jumping into spotlight to act like this is gutless girlish and we are better without the bloke.
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 5:09:48 AM
Good on you Tahu,
Racism is an ugly sentiment. I hope you can take this further & encourage all racists to have a good look in the mirror each morning. You obviously made this stand as part of an agenda & I for one hope that it is a decent one not mere media gimmick
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 5:59:24 AM
"I simply think we need to harden the F### up!"

Like everything else there is a balance. Just how much racial villification should someone have to tollerate before the other party has the right to be offended or to take action? If racial insults are Ok then should those who like to toss them around have to harden up if someone else decides to give a physical response?

There is value in being tough enough to do what you need to do in the face of pain (emotional or physical) but hardening up beyond that leads to a society and world with little regard for the needs of others.

If anything we need to a tenderness that's able to cope with the tough times rather than a calous hardness which seems to be the direction called for when people are told to harden up over wrongdoing.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 7:43:56 AM
Funny thing about what is politically correct.

There was a an earlier thread where it was argued that banning the burqa (the single most odious example of discrimination against women) was a war against women, as it is a freedom of speech issue.

But with racist comments, howls are for immediate action. While I cannot condone Andrew Johns, I wonder about perspective and who is determining the PC agenda.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 8:28:02 AM
I can. Harden up Belly. Isn't that what you were saying?.
Posted by StG, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 9:03:00 AM
Way back in the mid 70s, I watched the service manager of an auto company in Rabaul PNG rant at a bunch of his local staff, when they had stuffed something up somewhat. He was shouting that they were a bunch of rock apes, just out of the trees. That he should check to see if they still had tails, among other things.

I was shocked, & also surprised that I was so shocked. After all, it was their country, & I had never heard someone carry on like that. Perhaps I'd led a sheltered life.

Today I'm almost as shocked to find that such a rant now appears to be worse than mugging someone, & leaving them bleeding in the srteet.

Ballance does appear to be lacking in all of this.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 9:10:44 AM
In terms of balance, perhaps there is an issue of course, but Rugby League players are expected to be role models for both good and bad. The same goes for the ex-players, labeled as Legends of the Game, Arthur Beatson, Wally Lewis, Joey Johns, etc.

Tahu has taken this stand in order to stop this being continued. It is one step at a time, so I applaud his stand. About time someone stood up to be counted.
Posted by Custard, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 10:41:37 AM
"Kids watch this game, they idolise the players, they also copy them, the longer this continues unchecked the longer they'll copy it"

Pardon me for being a non-sporty person, but isn't that more than half the trouble?

That a mere game is elevated to squillion dollar heights with false gods painted as a common folks hero to impressionable people (and it seems there are far to many adults who buy into this nonsense, so I am not just thinking of the 'kiddies' here)is the underlying issue, so I believe anyway.

These people are not the greatest of intellects, or so it seems, with nightly moaning about the 'Due-Jidishery' casting a vote on yet another thug and his common assault, broadcast to millions of dumbstruck goons ready and waiting to absorb, blotting paper style, the next lesson in 'how to behave like a Hero', brought to you by a piss-up company and a dodgy news service.

Is it just time for a national 'growing up' exercise, which would see the end of the brainless getting so much publicity in the first place?

All those who are supporting this player for walking off the job (and I have no complaints about that, but I have no idea who he is or who he plays for, or what he plays for that matter)should perhaps consider packing in their support for the game altogether, and just go and support a local team near where they live.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 2:45:10 PM
Nothing to do with what is and is not PC, it comes down to what will be the response of the Referees to the hauling off & dropping of people who make such comments to the wrong person. Inevitably, it is the person who has been sledged that gets penalised, not the person who is in breach of the rules in the first place.

Anyway, how can you equate "Racial Vilification" which is rightly illegal, with some bizarre right to wear an article of clothing that restricts the ability to identify people who wear it? That comes down to identification of potential lawbreakers, which most here understand is necessary & in order for it to be possible, no-one may wear enclosed headgear in certain areas, full stop.

I'm not saying that one should tell stop the Muslim CU^t to take it off, see the difference?
Posted by Custard, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 3:37:55 PM
"with nightly moaning about the 'Due-Jidishery' casting a vote on yet another thug and his common assault"

That's one place where they could make a quick change. Where an assault occurs have the matter dealt with by the police rather than by a judiciary with a vested interest in the game. A player who chooses to initiate a violent conflict should be treated in the same manner as any other worker who physically assaults a co-worker. In this case at the higher levels most assaults would have police as witnesses as well as multi-camera recording of the incident.

Being passionate about the game should never be an excuse or be portrayed as an excuse for assault (as seemed to occur during last year's State of Origin).

If the codes really think that they are running a boxing competition then haul out the boxing ring at half time and do it properly.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 4:33:55 PM
Yeah rightio rechtub, ya "sink them thar mooslim boat peoples terrorist queue jumping foreigners pauline hanson loving Cletus"Posted by StG

Well, don't know what this has to do with the thread, but hey, some things never change.

RoBert>>Being passionate about the game should never be an excuse or be portrayed as an excuse for assault (as seemed to occur during last year's State of Origin).

True league fans love a bit of 'rough stuff'. In fact, our pussy society has all but made the game into a bit of a joke.

After all, it's a tough game played by tough guys who love a bit of biff themselves.

State of origin should be separte from NRL and, what happens on the field should stay there and visa versa.

It is yet another example of how PCisum is turning our men into whimps.

God help us if a war breaks out here cause I doubt we could rely on the 'modern man' to defend us.
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 6:31:17 PM
" Certain areas are not and cannot be used for sledging"

Why assume that racial sledges are worse than others? Some people don't care about their race, as is their right. Some people genuinely care about sledges that they aren't socially allowed to get offended over.

"If one player cannot return fire, best stop the other starting it.'

I hope that you aren't implying that white people aren't as tough as aboriginal people. That would be racist.
Posted by benk, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 7:37:17 PM
In my initial post, when I said, "I just really think there - (which seems apparent in the wider Au community, as well) - is a certain amount of ignorance towards racism..."

rehctub is a CLASSIC example of what I was referring too. He just has NO idea what the problem is. That is apparently endemic to large portions of white Australia. It's a joke, or they're just soft, or they don't REALLY mean it how the recipient is taking it, and it's their fault they took it that way.

He will have the same attitude towards sexual harassment, immigration and various other issues that don't fit his persona.

Really bizarre psychology and I wish I understood it better.
Posted by StG, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 9:41:24 PM
From my experience racists are just hypocritical. Many feign indignation which enables them to promote & perpetuate this evil symptom. The saddest part about racism in my opinion is the fact that racists eventually turn decent people into racists.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 16 June 2010 5:43:42 AM
Rehctub

"True league fans love a bit of 'rough stuff'" ...when teams that they don't care about are playing. When their favourite team is playing, they want penalties for everything. When they personally are playing, every opposition try is the direct result of the referee not giving them enough penalties.
Posted by benk, Wednesday, 16 June 2010 8:05:39 AM
A lesson in racism maybe, but it is yet another example of a man who is probably suffering a serious emotional break-down yet no-one can see that because he is after all a man.

It astounds me that this incident has been in the news for days yet no-one has spotted the elephant in the room and doubtless Tahu is continuing to suffer without proper support while others fulfil their own agendas of making hay out of racism.

Great stuff people, this fellow Tahu is in dire straits and all anyone can think of is screwing Johns for his job and hopefully some compensation for Tahu from the League or a TV channel.

There is something very wrong with the way we raise boys to ceaselessly strive while bottling up their feelings and men need to take the lead in fixing it (you'd be crazy to let the feminists run with it). For goodness sakes men, next time you see a boy ignored or scolded for showing emotion, offer him your hand and acknowledge his hurt. That is all anyone has to do, stop treating boys as unfeeling lumps of clay.

Bloody amazing, the guvvy money spent on initiatives such as depression hasn't managed to make a dent at all. You can't expect the victims to come forward, we have to care for our fellow man and offer help, OK?
Posted by Cornflower, Wednesday, 16 June 2010 1:49:14 PM
we have to care for our fellow man and offer help, OK?
Cornflower,
I agree wholeheartedly but how can we do that without starting yet another bandwagon for the feigned indignation brigade to board & for another bandwagon for expert consultants to fleece the much needed funding ?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 17 June 2010 6:43:54 AM
rechtub I need to watch myself here, I agree with you again!
Bloke, it is clear you like me am a blokes bloke, did you notice some do not even know who the offended bloke is, yet comment on it.
A future AFL player was the stand out star, NSW was as usual out played coached selected and our thugs and mugs, both of them, covered up lack of skills with thuggery.
We however called no one a cannibal
Posted by Belly, Friday, 18 June 2010 8:50:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy