The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > My People.. Aboriginal People

My People.. Aboriginal People

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All
Dream On thanks for your post.
I found it bigoted biased and of benefit to the subject.
It reminds us of claims that are lies.
It brands those first settlers in ways even a child can see is wrong.
Remember the England that sent those convicts sent humans to America first as little more than slaves for life.
Flogged its sailors, even hung them.
It cut humans into quarters.
Different times different horrible but true punishments.
They also hung whites for killing these folk.
Look at your quoted ww2.
Lift the lid on millions murdered do the children of these still blame yesterday for today?
Is my great grandfather at fault for me not being able to spell?
I agree foxy we need to know about history.
But it is not the only reason for the present.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 31 May 2010 4:35:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yr most welcome *Belly*

*Al Jazerra* reports this morning that *Lizzy Winza* is the red to the tune of 10.4 Million big ones per year. HaHaHa. Hasn't has a pay rise for 10 years or so they reckon.

"We are not amused!"
LOL & ROFL

ABC reports today of a new *Original Ozzie* painting that has been discovered dating at or around 40,000 years or so, of an extinct so called mega-fauna bird. That's beautiful isn't it?

Posted by PatTheBogan, Thursday, 27 May 2010 3:28:12 PM
" and had no idea about agriculture or machinery "

Actually, some did so called "fire stick farming." In the early accounts of the Swan River invasion there are also reports of winter time underbrush burn offs, though I do not know that such practices extended to vast swathes of habitat destruction. I think that it is unlikely but then again I do not know, and note further that fires lit during favorable conditions can easily get out of control.

I must have a look at the book *Foxy Loxy* suggests. Another good one is "For their own good" written by an ex U.W.A. PhD student which elicited many complaints from the "establishment" in W.A. at the time.

A lot of the BlakFellas were keen as mustard to get into the new farming techniques with machine assists but the banks, no doubt with political will behind them, closed them out. You see, land back then was being given away in great swathes, and all one had to do was to maintain it and improve it to the satisfaction of the Act. But in order to do so, one needed machine assists which in turn cost money, which in turn needed to be borrowed and that's where it stopped.

Indeed to read some of the old old Hansards, the BlakFellas were by all accounts most skilled at farming and animal husbandry, especially with regards to culling out the weak and infirmed from the herds to the chagrin of the exporters at the time.
Posted by DreamOn, Monday, 31 May 2010 2:52:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I noticed one person saying that 60 000 years ago the vegetation changed to a fire climax comunity, maybe not worded that way. Research at Lynch's crater on the Atherton tableland has revealed charcoal in the stratigraphic record dating back about 116 000 years. Discussion varies about whether the charcoal is of anthropogenic origin or a climatic indicator.
This long-winded explaination ends with some socio-political speculation and scientific fact.

People often say aborigines have been here for 50 000 years, this is simply the limit of the carbon dating techniques' range. The same way I can say a 44 gallon drum only contains 4 litres because I only have a 4 litre ice-cream container to measure it with.

Then, there is the idea that maybe the fires evidenced in the stratigraphic record were not controlled or intentional. I doubt they arrived with a detailed knowledge of bioregional ecosystems and biodiversity, or the ability to fight fires in ecotone areas.

"Firestick farming" is a recent idea to describe the fact that Australia can and does have bushfires. Of course, you torch a gully full of long grass and kangaroos, and kangaroos come jumping out trying to get away from the fire.

I use "Restbreak farming" at my house. The lemon tree uses nitrogen compounds in my urine to grow new foliage.
Posted by PatTheBogan, Thursday, 3 June 2010 10:00:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
DreamOn,
Dream on !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 5 June 2010 1:46:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy