The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > My People.. Aboriginal People

My People.. Aboriginal People

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
gundubuldany

I'm probably going to be called a racist for this post but here goes anyway.

Aborigines were never going to be able to keep Australia for themselves. They had an inadequate border protection capability. If the Europeans hadn't conquered Australia it would have been somebody else - most likely the Javanese.

In a way the Aborigines were lucky. Given they were going to be a conquered people come what may it is best to be conquered by people with democratic impulses. If you want to know what life would have been like under the Javanese look at the fate of the natives in West Papua.

http://www.freewestpapua.org/

Here's the truth gundubuldany. Given the technological backwardness of the Aborigines the current situation of Aborigines, grim as it is, is probably the best that was ever going to happen.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Thursday, 27 May 2010 6:26:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Stevenlmeyer speaks the harsh truth,but we the anglo conquerers should not indulge ourselves in too much back slapping.

The Aboriginal culture sees the world from a totally different perspective.They are not consumed with amassing wealth for the purpose of power.They live for the moment.Being hunters and gatherers, they have strong tribal and family bonds.The West on the other hand has sacrificed family for monetary gain and is in serious decay.

Genetically/linguistically we have a complex mix of anglo/aboriginal ancestory but few address the necessity for the aboriginal culture to do more for this newly evloving culture.The Aboriginals need contribute more to justify the wealth they receive.Anglos need to put aside their Hollywood perceptions of beauty and look deeply into what makes us human.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 27 May 2010 7:03:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just to be clear

I dissociate myself from Arjay's post.

The conquered do not owe the conquerors anything.

On the other hand the reality for the Aborigines is that they are a conquered people. They are never going to regain control of this island-continent. There will never again be independent Aboriginal nations.

The good news is that the conquerors are prepared to make a place in their society for the conquered. Aborigines, for their own sakes, ought to grasp the opportunity this affords.

What alternative do they have?
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Thursday, 27 May 2010 7:20:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When are you lot going to get over this rubbish.
I have no idea about my ancestors, neither do I care, presumably they were shipped out,in chains, from England for stealing a loaf of bread.

No-one has ever said sorry to me and I would be laughing up a gumtree if they bothered.

But I learnt to read and write, not drink myself into oblivion and live in a house without destroying it.
If we can't be bothered wallowing in self pity why should we care about those that do.
Go to school and learn how to spell, or is that too hard a concept for you.
Posted by proudmary, Thursday, 27 May 2010 8:15:12 PM
mikk,
Someone saying "those white bastards" should be just as unacceptable as someone saying "those black bastards".
Or am I free to say "those black bastards" from now on?

It's not surprising that CJ Morgan gives you a free pass to say "those white bastards" and then talks about the "thinly disguised racism of those who will admonish you to stop whingeing and assimilate."

CJ finds thinly disguised 'isms everywhere, except when they are blatantly undisguised and used by his ideological bedfellows against people who disagree with him.
Posted by Proxy, Thursday, 27 May 2010 8:17:40 PM
Dear gundubuldany,
(Wai palya),

Firstly allow me to welcome you to this
Forum and Congratulate you on taking
such a courageous step in being so open
and honest with us. It took courage to do
what you did.

I can't even begin to imagine what your
world must be like. I read an article
by Dr Eva Sallis some time ago and she
wrote that the most awful thing is that
Aboriginal Australians live without a
sense of day to day personal safety,
without a sense that they have rights.
The burden of history is such that these
Australians live day to day in an exile
from peace and safety that is unimaginable
to most other Australians.

I also read that in 1788 there were 250
separate Aboriginal languages in this country.
Dr Eva Sallis counted only 23 languages that
had only one living speaker. I tried to imagine
that my child was to be the only person alive
to speak my language. I couldn't do it. It's
the death of a culture - and it's happening without
even a whisper from most of us.

Why can New Zealand be a plural nation? They have
English and Maori languages. We are a plural nation,
we have always been a plural nation, why can't we
have English and Pitjantjatjura, Warlpiri, Arrernte,
Tiwi, and more? The list of Aboriginal languages
is a striking map of loss.

My advice to you is for you to ask for help from
the nearest school, library, or government department
that you can find. Catch a train or bus to the nearest
town if you're in the country. But do something positive
to help yourself. Don't be put off by anyone. It's
your life. Take control of it and do something about
things. I wish you All The Best.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 27 May 2010 9:40:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy