The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > analogy between 9/11 and Hill 60

analogy between 9/11 and Hill 60

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
Beneath Hill 60 is the story of the diggers who tunneled under enemy lines to place explosives. About 10,000 Germans died in the resulting explosive on June 7, 1917. The war continued until 11 November, 1918 with many more killed on both sides. To me it is horrifying to think of a large number of men blown to bits even though they were the enemy.

Beneath Hill 60 to me is like a movie made by Al Qaeda telling of their destruction of the World Trade Center. The fact that one incident was in a formal war and the other wasn't makes little difference to me.
Posted by david f, Sunday, 25 April 2010 9:20:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear David F,

Our history is full of all sorts of atrocities.
Men killing men for whatever reason.
The world has to be reminded of this history
so it can learn from the past - and not have it
repeated.

When will we ever learn? It seems that we're a
long way off yet. However if full-scale nuclear
war ever occurred, it would be, to put it mildly,
an event that would destroy the existing world
order and reshape whatever human history might be
left.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 26 April 2010 11:22:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You don't want to take some time to explain WHY they're similar in your mind?.
Posted by StG, Monday, 26 April 2010 4:12:10 PM
StG I just can not see why you would want to know.
One of the strangest posts ever in my view.
One I find no reason to look at again, rubbish.
Posted by Belly, Monday, 26 April 2010 5:24:11 PM
Dear StG,

They are similar in my mind because a lot of people were killed for no good reason in both cases. World War 1 was an atrocity which should have been prevented. The outcome of an armament race and the promotion of national glory resulted in WW1. I see the 'Anzac spirit' as the same sort of stupid nonsense.

9/11 also killed a lot of people for no good reason. It was the product of unreasoning religious fanaticism. Unreasoning religious fanaticism is also stupid nonsense.

The spirit of Muslims belonging to the umma (or Muslims united in the bonds of belief) to kill people they don't know because they are infidels to me is little different from the mateship bonding Australians to go out and kill people they don't know because their country is at war with the other people's country.
Posted by david f, Monday, 26 April 2010 5:29:07 PM
Sounds to me you're off your meds there David.

I'm no expert, but I believe the Germans had a woody for some sort of empire like what the Poms, Ruskies and Frogs had at the time. Twitter version of the story, I know, but about sums it up I think.

The 'ANZAC Spirit' is about remembering the sacrifice the average citizen made for each other. It's about the men, women, and children who died and suffered as a result of the horrors of war. I don't see 'ANZAC' as nationalism, but rather a moment to consider humanity.

When standing at the dawn service I think of the men my family lost, and also my Grandmother who went through absolute hell as a result. I think of the Holocaust, the death march, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the absolute inhumanity those people went through. I pray for the men and women in conflict right now and the risk they're in, I think about how grateful I am for not having to deal with threat of bombings as I go shopping. It's about the heroes that died saving you and me from the end of our civilisation as we know it.

It's not about a flag. It's a shame you can't see past some ignorance and some sort of twisted view of your home to appreciate what you're taking for granted right now.

It's easy to sit their in the comfort of your home pointing fingers and judging those that guaranteed your freedom, but what do you do to earn your place here?. I'm sure you have a medicare card and receive the benefits of a society such as this, what have you done to justify your use of it?.
Posted by StG, Monday, 26 April 2010 7:46:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy