The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Short changed

Short changed

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Have you ever been short changed.
If you pay cash for those little things like Coffee or lunch you have been.
ABC radio last week a caller referred to an inland NSW city as short change town, having been there I knew it was true.
Some make good money stealing just a little bit of yours.
$50 tendered bill was $8 change $41! it happens more often than you think those who serve us watch for those not paying attention and it takes place.
Watch those smaller shop price markdowns, or items without prices on them.
You are often the fish the bait is a new price offering 25% of,but if you buy a few different things? not discount its full price.
Not once not even twice my discounter has tried to over change me 4 times for sale items.
Seen the young reach for the calculator to give change?
Some truly need it to make change but just a few make cash because we rarely count our change.
An American book about con men in the great depression showed how gate keepers, shop assistants and such skim a lot of Money by reading customers, we should watch too.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 25 March 2010 4:01:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Short-changing by taxi drivers is rife, especially of young people returning home after a night out. A taxi driver recently short-changed an acquaintance who was returning to nearby accommodation after day surgery. The driver gave change out of $20, instead of the $50 tendered.

There is a late night grocery shop not far away from us where five, ten, or twenty dollar notes are regularly 'missed' in change. A sure sign is where they don't leave the note tendered on the cash register while completing the transaction, then they appear to be busy after. The perpetrators must practice, because they are so skilled.

It is theft, but outside of asking for correct change no-one seems to lodge complaints.
Posted by Cornflower, Thursday, 25 March 2010 8:15:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here I was thinking your sexual partner was lacking.

I'm comfortable enough not to notice. I figure if they can put one over on me, good luck to them.

Same as when visiting third world countries, I see it as part of my contribution to those who have less than me.
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 25 March 2010 8:17:40 AM
Hard to prove that isn't wasn't "genuine" error. It's up to you to make sure you're not ripped off especially when you're handing over larger notes and check the EFTPOS total. Errors DO happen, especially when it's busy.
Posted by StG, Thursday, 25 March 2010 12:37:12 PM
I check my change. Imagine being the sales clerk who has to account for a loss at the end of the day. Mistakes can be over-change as well.

Also if short-changed I can kindly point that out - I think 99% of the mistakes are genuine and not deliberate attempts to scam. I am sure of this because I do check and see the reactions of people when they have made a mistake. If people just walk away without checking, they'll never know if the sales clerk lost their job for making a mistake.

Deliberate scams are the fees systems charged by banks - for the smallest action. Money for nothing. I wish it was the clerks who got that money instead of the bloated banks.
Posted by Severin, Thursday, 25 March 2010 1:47:06 PM
I have noticed that on the occasions I have had to say "excuse me, I think you've given me the wrong change", 50% of the time was because it was too much, and 50% because it was too little.

That's spooky.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 25 March 2010 1:50:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy