The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Are frogs territorial?

Are frogs territorial?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I hope some of you find this as funny as I have,

I have a 5 bedroom house, on 19 acres. No sewerage out here, we have septics.

What used to be the kids wing I rarely use these days, although the toiled & bathroom are uesd by visitors & guests.

About 18 months ago I found a large green frog, not the bright green common tree frog, but a much darker bloke, hopping down the hall there. I caught it, & put it out under the trees.

Some time later, a week or three, I found another, & put it out.

A few weeks later, my youngest daughter, a real city girl, despite her bushie upbringing was visiting. She let out a blood curdlimg scream, when she found one of these frogs looking at her, when she lifted the toilet lid. At least I now knew how they got in.

This one went down to the dam, about 300 yards from the house, as did the next one. I found in the bowl, weeks later.

A month or so later, a friends wife took me aside & wispered that there was a frog in the toilet. I think she felt I should be ashamed of this. I almost asked her if she had tried kissing it, but managed to refrain. This one went over a kilometre away, to a small lagoon, as I was starting to get suspicious that it was the same frog. Quick aren't I?

A very thorough search revealed no where that any frog could get into the septic, or its rubble drain, but a month later, the damn thing was back, in the toilet. Now I really do think it may be the same frog.

Although I took it 3 Km to a biger lagoon, you guessed it, six weeks later, it was back. This frog now lives at Rathdowney, 45Km from my home. I felt damn silly driving all that way, with this frog. I really don't believe it can be the same animal, or do I?
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 5 March 2010 12:10:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Enjoyed reading your post. You should be proud that your home is frog-friendly. And from your description they are not cane-toads (which are lickable for some fools but definitely not kissable).

Maybe your friend's wife would've gotten lucky if she'd kissed the frog.

From my reading, I understand that frogs are territorial - makes sense for survival, I am sure there are others who could confirm this.

Any chance of linking to a photo? - 'frog in toilet bowl' has a piquant appeal.
Posted by Severin, Friday, 5 March 2010 8:12:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hilarious,
Great tale
Sounds like McGintity's Goat/cat. refrain 'he thought it was a gonna but the very next day the cat/goat came back'

I second severin's comments a picture would have won you prizes, if not internet fame.

It was probably safe from predators in the toilet bowl. We have a green tree frog that periodically appears in our fern garden but nothing like your frog. My *&$&#@ daughter would have either taped off the toilet and tried to adopt it or buy it its own toad free, bird free pond in the back yard. More *&$^%@%! pets.
Posted by examinator, Friday, 5 March 2010 8:39:10 AM
My mother, now aged 93, tells the tale of when as teenager her family lived on a hill above a river. They were having so many problems with frogs in their bathroom that they gathered them into a bucket and took them down to the river. By the next night they had returned, but with sun burned backs.
Posted by Country girl, Friday, 5 March 2010 10:16:45 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I graphically pictured your home Hasbeen laughed and enjoyed your beautiful experience.

Frogs: on the farm one large frog would always enjoy the shearers quarters' toilet until the old brown snake decided to live in the fibro wall and consume the mice one winter. Frog was either eaten or did not bother returning. Out came the old brown in the dark little shearers kitchen for the 3rd year [October its end of hibernation]banging along the wall until it exited behind the stove through a hole, reared its head sensing another presence.

A broom stick was quickly grabbed, husband slowly backed away to the door [only exit]leaving the door open. Shortly afterwards the big old brown slithered out towards his dam close by.

The next October he slithered out again right next to me. Out he came from under the shearers house, reared his antennae up, staring straight into my eyes [magnificent green emerald eyes] with its ugly wide mouth. I stood stock still, saw my then 7yr old and 3 yr old running towards the snake with three little kelpie pups just ahead of them. I was rooted to the spot obviously. Without moving my hands head or arms I quietly said "snake turn go". I kept staring the snake out [years ago learned cats did this]. The same big brown relaxed, lowered and slithered off towards the same dam as the year before. The pups miraculously ignored the snake and followed the kids.

Now, when our children told their father, he said to me: "Snakes are blind; how could you stare out a snake. They only live by vibration". To this day, I have not researched snakes properly, although have read about their poor eyesight on one website.

I do know Hasbeen for sure that mice also enjoy their favourite spots; and the frog at the farm with the toilet.

I'd say you will see the big fella in your toilet again soon; despite the 45km distance. His food and water supply are his home.
Posted by we are unique, Friday, 5 March 2010 8:08:31 PM
I have a green frog that shows up in my letter box from time to time. It hangs around in there for a week or so then disappears for a while. There is a frog pond nearby but it's mostly inhabited by striped marsh frogs.

None in the toilet so far.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Saturday, 6 March 2010 7:40:22 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy